Analysis Father/Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

This song is always running through my head reading this thread.

(Ready to be rightly chided by timtamWB for this folk pop nonsense)

Foster reminds you of a song about a school shooting? :eek: :p I actually like the song, so you get a pass.

For now.

I will be pretty annoyed if we have a spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on Foster when we could have rookied him last draft and let him develop from there without much risk. Yes he wasn't really at a high enough level last year, but clearly keeping guys like Greenwood as a rookie when it's been pretty clear that we won't make it or a guy like Howard on the main list shows we aren't really being that adventurous or taking much needed risk with our spots...

I will be pretty annoyed if we have a spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on Foster when we could have rookied him last draft and let him develop from there without much risk. Yes he wasn't really at a high enough level last year, but clearly keeping guys like Greenwood as a rookie when it's been pretty clear that we won't make it or a guy like Howard on the main list shows we aren't really being that adventurous or taking much needed risk with our spots...
Who says he would have developed coming up against stronger defenders in the VFL though?

Who says he would have developed coming up against stronger defenders in the VFL though?

That's the risk, but he could have had a big pre-season with an AFL club / coaching staff and built his body up with the senior guys. It's not he would have been our focal point up forward, would have been a 3rd / 4th tall target and I think it's very unlikely if he's going to be a player in the future, that a year of VFL this year would have caused him to not develop...

Went and saw Foster on the weekend :) only the second time -he has improved out of site he is similar to Keitel but will be rookied -great for us!

He plays Tall and moves well.
Can you (or anyone) explain to me how he will be rookied, especially if this is true:
I spoke to someone who has a son at the Cannons yesterday about Foster and was told that several clubs have spoken to him?

I guess that's to be expected...
To repeat what I have posted at least once before, it works like this:

At the National Draft Father/Son preliminary meeting we either nominate him as a F/S or we don't. If we do nominate him we are OBLIGED to use a ND pick on him, either with our next pick after whatever is the highest bid, or with our final pick in the event that no-one bids. If we don't nominate him then he is open to be drafted by any club. I think it's very unlikely that a 19yo 194cm KPF who won the TAC goalkicking will drop right through to the rookie draft.

The only way we can rookie him is if he is not taken in the ND and we nominate him as a F/S in the rookie draft (which alas we could have done last year). I think the only way Dalrymple and the 2Macs would allow that to happen is if they didn't rate him worth any of our first 6-7 picks and don't want him on our senior list. It could happen but I think it's a very long shot.
Get ready to be pretty annoyed.

The way that the rules work is that if nobody in the ND nominates him, we're allowed to then immediatly take him with our final rookie pick.
What would happen is that I'm guessing we would would not nominate him and then hopefully somebody else does. Then if they do, we use our last pick in the ND to pick him. Then if another club nominates, we match that again. Doubt we'd match any more after that.

The way that the rules work is that if nobody in the ND nominates him, we're allowed to then immediatly take him with our final rookie pick.
What would happen is that I'm guessing we would would not nominate him and then hopefully somebody else does. Then if they do, we use our last pick in the ND to pick him. Then if another club nominates, we match that again. Doubt we'd match any more after that.
No, I think your interpretation has got a bit muddled. Or maybe it's just the way you wrote it. (Or maybe it's just me! :confused:)

The ND father-son rule is pretty clear. The father's club is the only club that can nominate such a player for the ND (unless the father played 100+ games for TWO clubs which is pretty rare - then it's up to the player which club he'd prefer). If we don't nominate Foster before the ND anyone can draft him and we have no recourse at that point. If we do nominate him and someone (at the same pre-draft meeting*) says they will use a certain pick on him then we either have to commit to him with our next pick after the one they offered, or decline to take him, in which case the other club is obliged to use the pick they offered. Only if nobody expresses any interest in him after we've nominated him can we use our final ND pick to get him. We can't change our mind at that point and say we'd like to use a rookie pick instead.

And people ask this every year so I'll get in early: the trading period commences AFTER the f/s meeting, before any trading of picks happens. So you can't trade away your picks and then say "oh, shucks, my first available pick after your first round bid is #137"!

The available AFL wording for F/S picks in the Rookie draft is a bit ambiguous but one thing is definite: the only club that can nominate a player is still the father's club (where the father has played 100 or more games). Strictly speaking it's not a "nomination" in the rookie draft. It's an automatic pre-listing, using (as you say) the club's last pick in the rookie draft. For us to pre-list such a player as a rookie he must have entered either the ND or the PSD and not been selected by anyone.

The part that is a bit ambiguous is when we have to express our interest in taking him as a rookie. In one source it looks like we have to do this right at the start (before the ND)* which means other clubs will know we are definitely interested. They then have the opportunity to draft him at any point during the ND or PSD like any normal player (because we haven't nominated him as a ND father-son selection). Then as soon as he has slipped through the ND/PSD we can pre-list him as a rookie using our final rookie draft pick. However in another (AFL) source it seems we can just pre-list him straight after the PSD - no mention of the club having to declare their interest way back before the ND. If anyone can definitively clear up this point (no guessing!) I'd appreciate it.

*This year's F/S nomination and bidding meeting is set for 6 October. Only about 6 weeks away, so we'll know soon enough about Foster and Z.Cordy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Foster did not receive a national combine invitation - which likely means that less than three or four teams are interested in seeing him test. I would be pretty surprised if he did go in the ND.
Didn't get a national combine invite but got a State Combine invite so there was interest but not as much

Didn't get a national combine invite but got a State Combine invite so there was interest but not as much
Most footballers that have played reasonably well at TAC/state/U18 level are given a SC invite though. To put it in perspective 100 footballers get a national combine invite and there are likely only 60 or so picks in this draft. At a glance I can't see any players (save for those that couldn't attend the NC) that were drafted in the ND last year after testing at a state combine. If there are some that I've missed, there aren't many. Some rookie picks, but not a lot of main draft picks.

It's not a definitive indicator but it's a pretty good one. I would be incredibly surprised if Foster goes third round and still pretty surprised if he goes fourth.

Most footballers that have played reasonably well at TAC/state/U18 level are given a SC invite though. To put it in perspective 100 footballers get a national combine invite and there are likely only 60 or so picks in this draft. At a glance I can't see any players (save for those that couldn't attend the NC) that were drafted in the ND last year after testing at a state combine. If there are some that I've missed, there aren't many. Some rookie picks, but not a lot of main draft picks.

It's not a definitive indicator but it's a pretty good one. I would be incredibly surprised if Foster goes third round and still pretty surprised if he goes fourth.
From What I can see listed below are the ones who got drafted last year having done the State Combine, Believe me I would be more than happy to get Fossie with a 4th Round to Rookie Pick
Senior List: James Toohey (GEE) - Rookie: Jake Lloyd (SYD), Tim McGenniss (NMFC)

This 100%. I don't want to have to use this as an indicator but there are players in the National combine that I haven't seen in any phantoms. Daniel McKenzie being one from the top of my head.

But weren't the clubs' expressions of interest consolidated many weeks ago? If correct that's when Foster had only kicked about 20 goals, if that. He ended with nearly double that number including a few bags of 4 or more.

If they re-did the nominations now it might be different.

Anyway, I hope you are right and he goes under the radar.

Are Jayden and Bradie Foster brothers?

It says that Bradie's the son of a former Fitzroy player and the only Foster who played for Fitzroy is Peter Foster, Jayden's father who didn't play enough games for a Brisbane F/S pick but has probably made Jayden a good F/S option this year.

P.s. I hope I haven't mozzed Jayden's chances of being a low F/S pick.

Are Jayden and Bradie Foster brothers?

It says that Bradie's the son of a former Fitzroy player and the only Foster who played for Fitzroy is Peter Foster, Jayden's father who didn't play enough games for a Brisbane F/S pick but has probably made Jayden a good F/S option this year.

P.s. I hope I haven't mozzed Jayden's chances of being a low F/S pick.

Considering that Fossie played 7 games for Fitzroy and 163 for us, I'd think that they'd identify him as a Bulldog first. But Bradie doesn't look very similar in the face to either of them so I'd probably say no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Father/Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back