Favourite Beer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funnily enough, dislike corona/millers, but i wont comment on Sol, if its around ill drink it, i wouldnt touch the other two

Wouldnt spend money on any however

What sort of annoys me, is that people seem to think these Mexican and Brazilian beers you have to put fruit in are the shit, when they are the worst beers in the Americas (even worse than Bud). I have been quite surprised to find that some of my favorite lagers in the world (and i'm not really a huge fan of lager) come from places like Peru, Colombia and Chile, they are cheaper than Coronas, but hardly anyone drinks them.

What sort of annoys me, is that people seem to think these Mexican and Brazilian beers you have to put fruit in are the shit, when they are the worst beers in the Americas (even worse than Bud). I have been quite surprised to find that some of my favorite lagers in the world (and i'm not really a huge fan of lager) come from places like Peru, Colombia and Chile, they are cheaper than Coronas, but hardly anyone drinks them.
If people are wanting fruit flavoured alcoholic drinks, ild tell them to stick to the melon flavoured Cruisers.

Bellarine Estate Winery now have a Brewery as well. Went there over the weekend and sampled a couple, came home with a mixed slab as they were all good beers. Their stout is one of the best I've ever had.

This is a very good issue. Have noticed a rapid rise of the beer snob in recent times who will only drink beer if it is an obscure o/s or local micro company and who say that all mainstream beers are shithouse. Had one mate that used to parrot on about all these beers that he loved and how we were all drinking slop with our carlton draught so sat him down with the taste test challenge. 10 different beers served in glasses and he had to give us the beer or at least style of beer, he did not go very well lost a lot of cred that day the poor bugger.
Thats not to say i dont like a wide variety of beers as will give most a fair go and a second chance just to be sure. The uncontrolled rise of the beer snob does annoy me a great deal though.
Back on topic my favourite would have to be Guiness such a lovely lovely drink. Also a good way to taste lots of beers is to find a good bottle shop and play beer taste tuesday(not sure why it was tuesday just when we used to do it), where you buy two different beers and the one you enjoy the most becomes the carryover champ to be compared with another beer the following tuesday. Have tasted some very good and bad beers doing this. Current living location does not allow me to play so i manage to get by on carlton draught and i hav not gone blind yet.

This is a very good issue. Have noticed a rapid rise of the beer snob in recent times who will only drink beer if it is an obscure o/s or local micro company and who say that all mainstream beers are shithouse. Had one mate that used to parrot on about all these beers that he loved and how we were all drinking slop with our carlton draught so sat him down with the taste test challenge. 10 different beers served in glasses and he had to give us the beer or at least style of beer, he did not go very well lost a lot of cred that day the poor bugger.
Thats not to say i dont like a wide variety of beers as will give most a fair go and a second chance just to be sure. The uncontrolled rise of the beer snob does annoy me a great deal though.
Back on topic my favourite would have to be Guiness such a lovely lovely drink. Also a good way to taste lots of beers is to find a good bottle shop and play beer taste tuesday(not sure why it was tuesday just when we used to do it), where you buy two different beers and the one you enjoy the most becomes the carryover champ to be compared with another beer the following tuesday. Have tasted some very good and bad beers doing this. Current living location does not allow me to play so i manage to get by on carlton draught and i hav not gone blind yet.

I'm a beer snob and you may feel free to test my palate any time you like. Name the time and place :D

There's plenty of beer snobs here Jabba (I'd throw my hat in too) but most would be pretty playful about it. As long as they're not taking it too seriously you just need to let it slide.

As a rule of thumb, the bigger the advertising & marketing budget, the shitter the beer, but that's probably classic snobbery, so forgive me for that. Some get "snobby" as a reaction to meathead footy players and their Coronas or <insert sport> and VB, or as a reaction to the advertising (which is a bit sad as there are some good beer ads). Most do because they like to try new shit and just see what's out there.

Do you consider Coopers mainstream? If so, make yourself a Coopers Black & Tan. Start with the Pale (or the Sparkling), and then pour in the Stout, into a pint glass or a 500ml if you've got one. Seriously good, and with the Stout at 6.3%, and the Sparkling @ 5.8 (Pale is 4.8?), a 375ml stubby of each will have you nicely poised :thumbsu:.

There's plenty of beer snobs here Jabba (I'd throw my hat in too) but most would be pretty playful about it. As long as they're not taking it too seriously you just need to let it slide.

As a rule of thumb, the bigger the advertising & marketing budget, the shitter the beer, but that's probably classic snobbery, so forgive me for that. Some get "snobby" as a reaction to meathead footy players and their Coronas or <insert sport> and VB, or as a reaction to the advertising (which is a bit sad as there are some good beer ads). Most do because they like to try new shit and just see what's out there.

Do you consider Coopers mainstream? If so, make yourself a Coopers Black & Tan. Start with the Pale (or the Sparkling), and then pour in the Stout, into a pint glass or a 500ml if you've got one. Seriously good, and with the Stout at 6.3%, and the Sparkling @ 5.8 (Pale is 4.8?), a 375ml stubby of each will have you nicely poised :thumbsu:.

Little Creatures Pale is the best with Coopers Stout ;)

This is a very good issue. Have noticed a rapid rise of the beer snob in recent times who will only drink beer if it is an obscure o/s or local micro company and who say that all mainstream beers are shithouse.

I think this is wrong.

Beer "snobs" as you put it should still be able to recognise the quality of mass produced beers.

It just turns out that boutique beers are generally made and distributed more naturally and hence their taste is generally more quality. This isn't a rule, for example, the Mash brewery in Swan Valley has some terrible beers.

But someone genuinely interested in beer should realise for example that Tooheys New isn't a bad sessional beer, Tooheys Old is a pretty decent ale for it's budget price and Carlton Mid is one of the best lights on the market.

Also, ultimately, mass produced beers are there to make big money and as a result need to offend as few people as possible which often results in beer lacking flavour and character. Sure, there are some boutiques that lack the same and there are some mass produced that have it.

It's essentially a rule of thumb.

I think this is wrong.

Beer "snobs" as you put it should still be able to recognise the quality of mass produced beers.

It just turns out that boutique beers are generally made and distributed more naturally and hence their taste is generally more quality. This isn't a rule, for example, the Mash brewery in Swan Valley has some terrible beers.

But someone genuinely interested in beer should realise for example that Tooheys New isn't a bad sessional beer, Tooheys Old is a pretty decent ale for it's budget price and Carlton Mid is one of the best lights on the market.

Also, ultimately, mass produced beers are there to make big money and as a result need to offend as few people as possible which often results in beer lacking flavour and character. Sure, there are some boutiques that lack the same and there are some mass produced that have it.

It's essentially a rule of thumb.

The main difference between Micros and Macros is the adjuncts. The more adjuncts in the beer, the crappier it is.

That's why I laffed at CUB's 'Made From Beer' line. I've always called their products beer flavored water, so for them to suggest their stuff is 'made from beer' says to me 'Well it's not actually beer as such, but it might happen to have some beer type products in it'.

Well i got that little rant out of the way. But deep down i think i may be a beer snob as well but due to employment im stuck in western nsw where my beer drinking options are very limited. So i will add a new category the pretentious beer snob which is very similar to the pretentious wine snob you all know what i mean. My kingdom to get my beer taste tuesday back:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if this has already been brought up by another poster, but visited Warrnambool recently and, as is my want, I tracked down the nearest Micro-Brewery.

The Flying Horse bar and Brewery, just opened mid-2008 is on the Princes Highway as you come into the Bool from Melbourne.

Had 4 of their beers on tap.... Wheat, a British style Bitter, an American Pale Ale and a Porter.

All were pretty good, the Whale Ale(British style Bitter) being the pick IMHO. Great set up too, with a bistro, TAB and drive through bottle-o attached.

Certainly recommend a visit if you're down that way.

Millers Chill is the bomb. Had a 6 pack of it on NYE, and wish I had a carton of it instead of the crownies.

I love the Chill! Consider it more of an alcoholic soft-drink but is very, very refreshing. Extremely good during the day in warm weather and very easy to drink.

My favourites: LCPA, Kronenberg, Cascade Premium, Mountain Goat Pale Ale.

Bought a carton of Foster's for 29.90 the other day having never tried it before. Was very surprised and liked it a lot.

I love the Chill! Consider it more of an alcoholic soft-drink but is very, very refreshing. Extremely good during the day in warm weather and very easy to drink.

My favourites: LCPA, Kronenberg, Cascade Premium, Mountain Goat Pale Ale.

Bought a carton of Foster's for 29.90 the other day having never tried it before. Was very surprised and liked it a lot.
Where did you get the Foster's from? I have never seen it on special, and that is definitely a special price. It is a very underrated beer, but I cannot stomach paying $45+ a case for it.

Apologies if this has already been brought up by another poster, but visited Warrnambool recently and, as is my want, I tracked down the nearest Micro-Brewery.

The Flying Horse bar and Brewery, just opened mid-2008 is on the Princes Highway as you come into the Bool from Melbourne.

Had 4 of their beers on tap.... Wheat, a British style Bitter, an American Pale Ale and a Porter.

All were pretty good, the Whale Ale(British style Bitter) being the pick IMHO. Great set up too, with a bistro, TAB and drive through bottle-o attached.

Certainly recommend a visit if you're down that way.
Yeh great set up that place. I was there the other weekend. The beer wasn't the greatest. I think I had the Whale Ale and the wheat and Whale was definitely better but wasn't one of my favourites. But there was too many mums around for my liking. It was like child care centre there because I swear the was just prams everywhere.

Aso while I was there some chick who was supposdly with us? was attacked she said by some locals. They were yelling full ball that she cops it up the clacker, had a threesome with 2 guys and that her boy friend is a ****. Her boy friend after just beign punched yells out come over here then ****** and they do and he gets knocked out. Unbelievable sequence of events that night was...

My Australia day beer was a 6 pack of James Squire Limited Release Sundown Lager. I'm a fan of all the Squire range, but this one went down particularly well on a hot day. They're only 4.4%, and it's a pretty subtle beer by their standards, so my only complaint is they didn't last long enough.

Excuse me if this place has already been mentioned (haven't read the previous 30 pages), but has anyone been to Grumpy's Brewhaus in Verdun? They rotate 3 or 4 few of their own brews on tap, and they do a very tasty wood-oven pizza. It would have to be one of my all-time favourite spots in SA for a beer and a feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back