Finally, we finish somebody off

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 9, 2006
Level 2 Bar, Coventry End
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Packers, Detroit Tigers
I'm not sure that performance is good enough to challenge the Doggies, but it was a 4Q performance for once (am I being generous re the third quarter?). We should have nailed the Bombers by about this margin but failed to, so it was good that we did it today. We were certainly hard at it, our midfield stood up, but most importantly our backline got its mojo back. There were some good signs for next week.

Bad signs? Roo and Ferg's kicking. Few others.

Ferg can play Charlie Gardnier's role with much more effect. I would consider his performance a positive.

It was great to see St.kilda produce four good quarters. It will count for nothing if we do not beat at least one of WB and Syd. The next two weeks will tell us where St.kilda are at.

well unfortuantely i didnt get a chance to watch the match because its not on tv here in perth until midnight (god knows why) but it was pleasing to see that at 3/4 time when the game was won we still won by a good margin and didnt let concede about 8 goals to 1 and lose % and now were bak to 100%.

People were calling for gram and schneider to be dropped but hate to say it but some players will always stay in the team because the coach just is hoping and waiting for them to play like they did today. That was pleasing and i believe fergie did pretty good? (despite his kicking) so looks like his transition to forward line is working well and moved ahead of allen in the pecking order. I know it was just melbourne but i hope that the boys can gain some confidence from this week and take it into next week because its gonna be tough but we saw earlier this year we dominated the dogs for a quarter just have to find some consistency. A win will be huge because i really think our season will be back on the up if we can knock them off but if not we're back to square 1 which we were pretty much at before today.

Just hope, we can improve on our first appearance on the Dogs this season, where we were off to a blistering start, then mauled for the next 3 quarters. Just hope we can put up a four quarter effort. :)

Once there was a 15 year old kid called Sainter. Another kid called Lions picked on him, they got in a fight and Sainter came off second best. He went home and told his dad, how he had been picked on and how the other kids were calling him softy. Well you are a bit soft said his dad, you need to stick up for yourself. So on the way to school when an 8 year old girl named demon called him softy, he proceeded to kick the s--- out of her. The other kids saw it but were not particularly impressed. The little girl was heard to groan, my big brother "bulldog" will get you.

Nice work!

But there were some better signs. Ferguson should have been in the team already, as he does attack the ball and apply some forward pressure.

Gardiner is getting better each week.

Baker, X & Gilbert will return soon.

Now if we can just fix those kicking skills ....

I would suggest Jones, Geary & Blake, but based on yesterday, none of these three deserve to be dropped.

I agree - all three of them had very good games. Dropping one of them would be another Jones after Rd 1 or Armitage case.

Based on yesterdays performance, Gram should keep his spot ahead of Gilbert and Schneider should keep his ahead of X Clarke (it doesn't feel right, but both may have to wait and play VFL for a while).

Baker could come in for Dempster who was courageous and hard, but hardly touched the ball. Given that Lyon dropped L Fisher after the Brisbane game, keeping your opponent quiet may not be enough to stay in Lyon's team. But then again it would not really feel right either and I'm not sure whether Baker will be ready next week.

I know at the start of the season many were talking about our newly achieved depth, and I think this is a demonstration of that. Gilbert & X Clarke are certainly best 22 players, with both upgrades on class on Blake and Jones respectively.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple with Baker as there are now questions about where his career is at. Geary has plenty of his career left in front of him, and Baker isn't the player he was when he won a B&F in 2005.

Ideally, this week the side should be unchanged. Baker could do with another run at Casey, and Gilbert & X Clarke may still be a little while away. Other than Gehrig and Maguire, these are our only senior listed player injuries.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple with Baker as there are now questions about where his career is at. Geary has plenty of his career left in front of him, and Baker isn't the player he was when he won a B&F in 2005.

Pretty hard to fault Bakes for consistency, which has been a problem all year for the team. The bloke is never a passenger and tackles like his life depended on it.

I thought he improved the offensive side of his game considerably last year, until the Fremantle Farm-Boy got the leg wobbles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree - all three of them had very good games. Dropping one of them would be another Jones after Rd 1 or Armitage case.

Based on yesterdays performance, Gram should keep his spot ahead of Gilbert and Schneider should keep his ahead of X Clarke (it doesn't feel right, but both may have to wait and play VFL for a while).

Baker could come in for Dempster who was courageous and hard, but hardly touched the ball. Given that Lyon dropped L Fisher after the Brisbane game, keeping your opponent quiet may not be enough to stay in Lyon's team. But then again it would not really feel right either and I'm not sure whether Baker will be ready next week.

I think you are on the money here. I was reasonably happy with Dempster but I would rather have Baker. Then there are three reasonable players waiting in the wings if anyone starts to get "too soft". It is hard to say that X has had more impact on the games he has played than Armitage or Jones, and Gilbert was having a pretty ordinary year before his injury.

I sure as hell hope we don't drop CJ again.

I'm yet to see a replay of the game but from being at the game I thought he was outstanding in the way that he chased and tackled. Surely Lyon could not make the claim that we're soft and drop him. I'm aware that his disposal is not great but when you see a guy run and work as hard as he does I really don't think you can afford not to play him. He might not have the runs on the board that some of his teammates have but I think he's been unfairly maligned by some people on here and Saintsational.

In any case there's been some good discussion above. There may be an undeserving player or two dropped to make way for Baker and X Clarke should they come up for next Sunday. Bakes is the kind of player who probably doesn't need a run in the VFL. You know what you're going to get with him. With X, and I am a fan, I wouldn't have a problem with giving him a run or two with the Scorpions. The same with Gilbert.

By the way great first post SaintsSeptember. :thumbsu:

It's a huge challenge and hopefully the players can rise to the occasion. If we don't turn up and lose without a fight we'll at least know where we stand as a team and that's outside the top eight.

Gilbert's form this year does not warrant auto selection. Need an extra run with Casey. I would like to see Xavier play for Casey for one more week too. Baker could be more of a chance to return out of those three.

I'm yet to see a replay of the game but from being at the game I thought he was outstanding in the way that he chased and tackled. Surely Lyon could not make the claim that we're soft and drop him. I'm aware that his disposal is not great but when you see a guy run and work as hard as he does I really don't think you can afford not to play him. He might not have the runs on the board that some of his teammates have but I think he's been unfairly maligned by some people on here and Saintsational.

Agree with your comments, but having watched the two Casey games before his recent re-inclusion I think he has taken some feedback on board and developed his game.

Before he was dropped he almost seemed reluctant to go and get the pill (had a more defensive role), and when he got it he'd hatch the ball. Now his stats are up, and his tackle count is up - but more importantly he has recognised his limitations and is moving the ball quicker. Whilst he doesn't always hit the target, if he is moving it quickly and at least to a St Kilda players advantage he is of value to the team and deserves his spot.

Full credit to someone who can make adjustments to his game so quickly, as I was not upset with him being dropped previously. Well done CJ.

Agree with your comments, but having watched the two Casey games before his recent re-inclusion I think he has taken some feedback on board and developed his game.

Before he was dropped he almost seemed reluctant to go and get the pill (had a more defensive role), and when he got it he'd hatch the ball. Now his stats are up, and his tackle count is up - but more importantly he has recognised his limitations and is moving the ball quicker. Whilst he doesn't always hit the target, if he is moving it quickly and at least to a St Kilda players advantage he is of value to the team and deserves his spot.

Full credit to someone who can make adjustments to his game so quickly, as I was not upset with him being dropped previously. Well done CJ.

CJ is definitely going for the ball HARD, and as far as disposals go do the math.
It is better to get the ball many times and accidently turn it around a couple, than not to get the ball and let the opposition get it in the first place. Also from Sam Fishers view of things http://www.afl.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=60662
"From a defender’s point of view, that pressure [around the stoppages] really helps us a lot. It’s pretty hard when the opposition brings it away easily because they can use time and space to hit a forward up.
“When they did win the ball around the clearances, we seemed to be able to put a lot of pressure on. Our tackle count was right up which definitely makes a defender’s job much easier"

To me this say's we should keep playing players like CJ, Birss, Baker, Armitage. If just the pressure can help Sam and Gram get a run at the ball it is a good thing. :thumbsu:
I dont know how Montagna is sitting in the scheme of things at the moment. I know he is getting good stats but frankly I haven't been noticing him much when I watch the game.

I dont know how Montagna is sitting in the scheme of things at the moment. I know he is getting good stats but frankly I haven't been noticing him much when I watch the game.

5 people have given him votes so far for the Melbourne game, he got 1 vote for the Brisbane game, and 7 for the Collingwood game.

He's getting a hard tag, so his opponent won't be doing much.

That game just goes to show how good we can be at the top of our potential so i think it was an awesome run we had tht game just hope we can keep it up!!!!:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally, we finish somebody off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back