Autopsy Finals 2014 - 1st Elimination Final: North Melbourne v Essendon discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

For neutral fans, was that the game of the year?

God no!

The first half was a bad home and away game, with poor skills, missed targets by hand an foot and a disturbing lack of pressure. It was great to see the last half though. Scott obviously ripped into them, and then North brought there finals game and poleaxed the bombers.

Well done North!

Essendon need to make some tough decisions on there list this off season.

God no!

The first half was a bad home and away game, with poor skills, missed targets by hand an foot and a disturbing lack of pressure. It was great to see the last half though. Scott obviously ripped into them, and then North brought there finals game and poleaxed the bombers.

Well done North!

Essendon need to make some tough decisions on there list this off season.
First half was boring as hell but that second half could not have been better and the result was perfect. Great stuff.

Oh well. At least we didn't lose by a lot this time.

Hopefully the finals experience of 2009, 2011 builds on the experience of 2014. Hopefully next time, if we play finals next year, the boys will take a lesson on how to handle leads and clinchers in finals.

The flip side I see is that our team's still quite young, and hopefully we work harder in the future to achieve success.

great point. Might be the same with my club. Lost last year, and everyone is tipping us to lose again this year. I just hope the boys learnt a heap and dont have to go through a few learning phases to win a final

Oh well. At least we didn't lose by a lot this time.

Hopefully the finals experience of 2009, 2011 builds on the experience of 2014. Hopefully next time, if we play finals next year, the boys will take a lesson on how to handle leads and clinchers in finals.

The flip side I see is that our team's still quite young, and hopefully we work harder in the future to achieve success.
The dilution of the comp has created an elite super group , maybe six and the rest are , well, they are just rest. Too many teams .
We will have also rans for two decades . With a handful of clubs maybe six with the chance all the time, 2 divisions , too many teams.
Bombers need to make their way into that top six.

What a story ben brown is originally from davenport northern tas. Movedto gelnorchy to play footy. I've meet the kid before and you could tell how determined he was to play afl. Then he moved to werrabie leaving everything behind to chase his dream what a kid. Something Jay Bowden should of done years ago

When's the last time a team won a final with a goal-less quarter?
When's the last time a player #50 won the game off his own boot?

When's the last time Essendon got their hearts broken like this? North, every Carlton fan thanks you. :DDDD

Won off his own boot is going a little far. Both he and Daniher were show pieces tonight, but the clincher was some amazing lift in the engine room of the midfield.

Wright's attack off half back. Greenwood, Wells and Gibson bringing others like Cunnington and Grima into the game through fantastic spread. Black didn't do much up forward but his 9 marks through the middle made a difference in straightening them up.

But Greenwood was a monster in that second half. A tackling machine and excellent with the ball in hand. I felt Thompson had it wrong trying to tag Dal Santo out of the game. He should have sent Hocking to Levi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

great point. Might be the same with my club. Lost last year, and everyone is tipping us to lose again this year. I just hope the boys learnt a heap and dont have to go through a few learning phases to win a final

I feel that Richmond can win tomorrow. Very unlucky to have to suffer a loss to 8th when finishing 5th, so it might be the other way around this time.

All I wanted was to win one final this year, whatever happened after that I did not care in the slightest, that is the truth. The psychological shift that comes with breaking the winless finals hoodoo is immense if your team continues making more finals campaigns in the future (rather than bowing out).

The dilution of the comp has created an elite super group , maybe six and the rest are , well, they are just rest. Too many teams .
We will have also rans for two decades . With a handful of clubs maybe six with the chance all the time, 2 divisions , too many teams.
Bombers need to make their way into that top six.

Yeah, I've realised that now.

Top four is something of it's own. To lose a first final, ala Geelong or Fremantle, and still be in it is such a perplexing outcome when you picture where your team would be and what could happen if you were in the same position. For example, we may have lost this week, but still have a chance to win a final the next week.

It's also perplexing to know how easy it is to forget that when it's all said and done, only one team takes the success in the end. Which means the experience from not being that last team is at least an aim of winning something, for the future.

I hope this experience not only pushes our team to want to win a final, but also gain the hunger to do something of note during the season to gain that double chance that comes from being good enough to finish in the top four, ala, Hawthorn/Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Finals 2014 - 1st Elimination Final: North Melbourne v Essendon discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back