Five Seasons By Emma Quayle - Football journalism the way it should be done

Remove this Banner Ad

The Emma Quayles of this world are never going to be able to churn out volume day after day. And they'll also never attract the coins and attention of the casual viewers. Sadly the world is filled with morons who would TLDR pieces of substance. So they will never dominate press coverage.

But god, writers like her are valuable. Worth their weight in gold, and I see no reason there can't be more than just Emma. In the era of paywalls and value-added content, writers like Quayle give footy diehards a reason to pay for their news.

Some of her stuff about the Essendon drug scandal was embarrassing. She should stick to what she does best.

Glad someone else picked up on that. She didn't say much on it but what she said showed she wasn't too much different from the irrational Rohan Connolly and the rest.

I have no problem with her, but it's easy to be everybody's favourite when your main thing is writing about optimistic, young players and not 'bad news'.

You didn't read the one about Nathan Jones or Gia?

Nathan Jones wonders aloud why he re-signed for Melbourne
Jack Ziebell struggles with being suspended again
Gia gets dropped to the VFL

Clearly all Emma writes is positive stuff about youngsters.

Some of her stuff about the Essendon drug scandal was embarrassing. She should stick to what she does best.
100% correct, several utterly embarrassing articles a couple of months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the lesson both papers (and everyone else) take out of this is that there's a market for longform journalism in footy. Pretty sure the reason why we don't see more is that papers simply don't have the space to do articles that run into the thousands of words - and while the format is pretty this is basically a polished transcription of five interviews...you can't imagine it represented a massive drain on resources.

You didn't read the one about Nathan Jones or Gia?
Nathan Jones wonders aloud why he re-signed for Melbourne
Jack Ziebell struggles with being suspended again
Gia gets dropped to the VFL

Clearly all Emma writes is positive stuff about youngsters.

I said main thing, not only thing.

Consult a dictionary.

Harsh on Caro ITT. She does her job well. Not there to write match reports.

The rest, I agree with.

Emma is the second best journalist in football, behind the insurmountable Martin Flanagan.

No, she's far better. Flanagan just writes to inflate his ego - he has no feel for the medium, just a frustrated author stuck in the footy pages.

No, she's far better. Flanagan just writes to inflate his ego - he can no feel for the medium, just a frustrated author stuck in the footy pages.

Where on earth did you pull that from?

Read a bit of it.

To be honest it's a bit serious. It's sport, and while it's guys lives it's guys playing sport. They're not child soldiers or anything like that. The whole tone is just a little too dramatic.

Also the editor has done a rubbish job. Lots of errors.

Harsh on Caro ITT. She does her job well. Not there to write match reports.

The rest, I agree with.

Emma is the second best journalist in football, behind the insurmountable Martin Flanagan.
caro is an idiot a trash, gossip journalist, of any one has a go at her, she plays the, you have issues because im a woman card, & she attemps to back up her claim with her imaginary sources!

just to think Emma Quayle's writes under Caro, it should be the other way around!

I've read the Vlastuin and Boyd pieces. Engrossing stuff, especially the content on how Vlastuin adjusts to becoming a full-time professional footballer and how Boyd handles the demands of being a putative no. 1 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Five Seasons By Emma Quayle - Football journalism the way it should be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back