Footballers who were disloyal and chased the almighty dollar

Remove this Banner Ad

Fevola will join this list.

Choco Williams, Geoff Raines, Mike Richardson, Peter Moore, Greg Williams, David Rhys Jones, Davis Cloke, Bryan Taylor, Roger Merritt, Brad Hardie, Phil Carman, Ken Judge and Phillip Walsh.

Nowdays

1. Judd
2. Nathan Brown (has anyone said him yet?)
3. Peter Everitt

...seem to be the worse culprits.
You are wrong about Peter Moore, he was virtually sacked by Collingwood in 1982, only to go to Melbourne and win another Brownlow.
But you can add Graeme Teasdale to that list!

If you knew your football history you'd know Nathan buckley sent a letter to all clubs before Collingwood in the draft to say "Dont pick me, i will only play for collingwood". The AFL then told Nathan that if he was selected in the draft by any club and didnt play for them he would not be eligible to play AFL football for 3 years... Brisbane picked him at pick 1. His loyalty was always with the Pies - before he was even drafted to them.
You really dont know your football...

Firstly, Nathan Buckley was not a #1 draft pick.

Secondly, he was tied to the Kangaroos first before he decided to sign with Collingwood.

The "letters" scandal didn't raise it's head until a few years later when Pyman and a couple of other croweaters decided to do it. 1 (tall dude, cant remember the name) was actually barred from playing for Collingwood after we drafted him.
Bucks made it obvious he wanted to play in Melbourne (as opposed to Collingwood only) and not Brisbane but I'm pretty sure letters weren't involved.

Iirc, Salmon was on the outer with Essendon and its fans when he asked to be traded to the Hawks. He wanted to ruck didnt he but Essendon wanted him at full forward???? Something like that.
I dont think it was about money.

You are correct, Salmon was often pathetically treated by Essendon supporters.

When Madden retired he went to Sheedy and asked if he could ruck. Sheedy said no, so he asked to be traded.

We got Sean Wellman and Paul Barnard for him, the Hawks got Salmon and Adelaide got Darren Jarman in a 3- way deal, which ended up be a very rare example of a win-win-win situation for all three clubs and all of the players involved.

It does still rankle me that we traded away Salmon because Sheedy didn't rate him as a ruckman, yet for most of the mid to late 90s one Peter Sommerville was our number 1 ruckman.

You are correct, Salmon was often pathetically treated by Essendon supporters.

When Madden retired he went to Sheedy and asked if he could ruck. Sheedy said no, so he asked to be traded.

We got Sean Wellman and Paul Barnard for him, the Hawks got Salmon and Adelaide got Darren Jarman in a 3- way deal, which ended up be a very rare example of a win-win-win situation for all three clubs and all of the players involved.

It does still rankle me that we traded away Salmon because Sheedy didn't rate him as a ruckman, yet for most of the mid to late 90s one Peter Sommerville was our number 1 ruckman.

Aaron Henneman in recent times as well :eek:

Every single ex-footballer who became a coach and has ever dropped someone off an AFL list is guilty. How could they cut a guy who has trained and played for a couple of years with the club?

So why do coaches and administartators do this? 2 reasons.

1) Winning is more important than loyalty.
2) If we win, I keep getting paid.

Look at Kreuzer - every club wanted him. Every club would have treated him as well as he has been at Carlton. Does he have to now show lifelong loyalty to Carlton just because they tanked better than the other teams? Loyalty is a two way street - and he had no choice.

This thread has proven how some people no **** all about Football

Judd = Wanted to go home and was always going to get a big pay day at WC or Carlton

Buckley = the bloke wanted to play at Collingwood if he was disloyal he would of jumped ship when Port came in and offerd him all that money

Wanganeen = He wanted to go home how dare him

Caracella = Couldnt fit him in the salary cap simple they didnt even bother to do a trade because there was no way he could be offerd any money if people forget this club did have one of the best teams of all time

Just saw 2 people finally mention Blake Caracella. Was certainly a good player for us in our prime years, but i think he wanted something like 3rd most money of anyone on the list. A clear choice of someone to clear up salary cap room.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thompson at Melbourne wanted to go home to Adelaide. Yes, I hated him for it because we nursed him through injuries and kept faith in him, but it was the go home factor, not the $$. We would have probably been able to match or even top Adelaide's offer at the time.

Bernard Toohey, David Bolton and another bloke, one Greg Williams, all flew the koop from catland at the end of 1986. All dazzled by the dollars on offer north of the border in sin city.

I don't know the exact details but I remember reading interviews from the period and chatting with one of the "Coodabeen Champions" who spent a lot of time at Geelong with the players. From what I can gather Bolton at least tried to finalize his contract with the club during the season but the club wasn't interested until too late. As for Williams, he'd just won the B&F and was on $35K a year. The Swans offered him $80K and he went to the club and told them he'd stay for $50K (half of what they'd been paying Brian Peake) as the club had been good to him. Allegedly Bob Davis said he wasn't worth it so he walked.

Loyalty and respect goes both ways.

Tell me who and why.

Dont say Scott Thompson because he is the worst of all.Melbourne nursed him through injuries and he just said stuff you I am going to either Port or Adelaide whoever I want you make the deal happen.
Scott Thompson returned to Adelaide with Demon blessing due to a very ill family member that he wanted to be near. Melb would have paid him what Crows do/did

Fabian Francis for Port....

poor guy... wanted more money..... left port and fremantle signed him.... then freo discovererd that they had salary cap breaches ... so the couldnt draft him. so they came up with an agreement where he would play WAFL for 12 months and then be drafted to their AFL list.

Only he did his knee playing in the WAFL and eventually had to be tossed to the scrap heap at the peak of his career.

Its was just a total balls up from all corners.
You gotta feel sorry for him.

Actually i found this online...

"Fremantle pays dearly for salary cap breaches; Francis’ career at the crossroads
Fremantle have been fined more than $A50,000 and will lose a pick in next year’s national draft after breaching the salary cap, while their ban from this year’s pre-season draft would stand. However, the club looks set to avert possible legal action at the hands of the disgruntled Fabian Francis, with the Dockers set to appease him with the promise to draft him in 12 months.
Dockers officials met with the AFL for more than three hours on Monday afternoon in an attempt to thrash out the salary cap issue and allow them to participate in the draft so they could select former Port Adelaide midfielder Fabian Francis.
AFL football operations manager Andrew Demetriou said the league considered that Fremantle does not have the gap in its Total Player Payment limit to draft a player for the 2002 season and therefore the club must be excluded from the pre-season draft.
Freo was fined $A54,415 for breaching the 2001 salary cap, lost its third pick in the 2002 national draft, with any further breaches to also cost Freo its first and second picks in the same draft.
Earlier, 30 Fremantle players elected to reduce their wages in an attempt to fit Francis under the salary cap, but to no avail. Francis’ management has threatened to sue the Dockers if he was not picked by the club.
A delegation from Fremantle, including chief executive Cameron Schwab, football operations manager Steven Icke and welfare officer Lee Walker, flew to Adelaide three days later to meet with Francis, his wife Debbie and his agent Max Stevens to resolve the issue. Stevens said there was a possibility of Francis playing at state league level, either in South Australia or Western Australia, in 2002 before moving to the Dockers in 2003.
Stevens said Fremantle wanted an agreement which could result in Francis being involved with the club long term, which might include an assistant coaching role. He said after the meeting that Francis was more than happy to accept what was offered, however the deal must be approved by the AFL, lawyers, the West Australian Football Commission and the Fremantle board, which could take several weeks.
The WAFC has launched a separate investigation into the Dockers’ salary cap debacle."

Could do this alphabeticaly but the great Ron Barassi was an early one.
Yes he would have gotten a fair bit of extra dollars but that was not his prime reason for leaving.
He wanted to coach & this was not expected to happen any time soon while Norm Smith was still ther & melbourne was winning premierships.
Barassi's prime reason was to coach.

Do you realise the thread title? Judd was disloyal to the Eagles and he went to the club that offered him the most cash. Judd ticks all the boxes for a nomination in this thread.

I am very glad that you are very knowledgeble in what the contract negotiations were about.
Do please tell us what Collingwood were going to offer him & also what carlton & the Eagles were going to offer him.
Oh, you know nothing so you can't.
Perhaps Carltons trading offers had something to do where the disloyal Judd went. Perhaps Collingwodd were offering more money but Judd asked for carlton as the eagles were going to get more back from Carlton than collingwood.
Perhaps you know nothing.

Nick Stevens, left for 'family' reason. Fair enough.......

But when he had to chose between his brothers wedding (where he was going to be best man) or the NAB cup he chose the NAB cup, yes, the NAB cup.

And his own brother told him to play in that game too.
God his brother is sooooooooooooooo disloyal to himself.
I nominate Stevens brother based on this.

But when they get seduced by Blue dollars they're absolute heroes ? :confused:

That is bullshit. Hammill was offered above his true worth to stay a Blue. The Saints paid way too much for him. (in hindshight, I would think some Saints fans would agree) He wasn't worth 500k a season that's for sure, considering how many games he could string together before consistantly succumbing to injury.

Judd on the other hand is worth every cent. I don't doubt for a second that Melbourne, Collingwood or Essendon would have offered him just as much if not more had he chosen them and if they had the cap space available. Judd brings more to a club than just his footy ability.

grow up.

doesnt matter a damn who he supported growing up. thats just playground kids stuff. its his career and he needs to do what is best.

No It doesn't, I'm just trying to figure out why he chose Carlton over every other Melbourne club. It was that Carlton offered more. I would have done the same.

P.S. I'm just trying to justify why Judd should be in this thread. He left the Eagles and openly sold himself in front of the media.

I am very glad that you are very knowledgeble in what the contract negotiations were about.
Do please tell us what Collingwood were going to offer him & also what carlton & the Eagles were going to offer him.
Oh, you know nothing so you can't.
Perhaps Carltons trading offers had something to do where the disloyal Judd went. Perhaps Collingwodd were offering more money but Judd asked for carlton as the eagles were going to get more back from Carlton than collingwood.
Perhaps you know nothing.

Perhaps Carlton offered more than Collingwood. I bet if Collingwood had offered the same money as Carlton, he would have been a Magpie. I also doubt that Judd cared about what the trade would have been for the eagles. He just wanted to get out of the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footballers who were disloyal and chased the almighty dollar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back