Footscray Football Club in meltdown

Remove this Banner Ad

The bulldogs have shot themselves in the foot and alientated many of it's own supporters (Just what they don't need)

I've been a member for 22 years now and will definately NOT renew it again. I'd love to see how many members they get next year.

I love the club, but am dissapointed that has-beens like Brad Johnson and Daniel Giansiracusa are still in the team. Winning is no longer the club's priority.

I think we've found the Bulldogs version of Rennis Witham :eek:

Um no, that is the newspaper making a statement. I'm asking where is the original statement from AKER saying the edits were his and not the papers.

Ok, I'm not going to argue, it's all been a big conspiracy between the mafia, the media, JFK and the moon landing....

FFS.. If Aker didn't agree with articles like these being written and being accurate, you would have heard about it by now. He wouldnt have agreed to stop his media work for three weeks and play in the reserves, would he... Given his mouth, do you think he would have kept quiet about the club and the papers writing factually incorrect articles about him ???

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/95214/default.aspx

Here's another article on the subject, but as it's not officially endorsed with the Akermanis family crest, I don't think you'll believe it either....

Now of course, I wasn't there for the moon landing, but I do believe it occured....

On that basis 1/2 your team should follow Acker out the door.

If the reason for keeping him was his proven finals experience then it had not been displayed at Bulldogs. Therefore, reason to remain does not exist...goodbye Jason.
Let's not talk about the rest of the Bulldogs...aren't you a Richmond supporter?????

Aker only ever played for Aker, and did that brilliantly for most of his career, so his clubs were prepared to tolerate his self-serving behaviour. Ultimately, he was expendable because of his on-field performances this year (which were sub-par) - for mine, he played one year too long. Doubt it will affect the Bulldogs finals prospects much either way.

I have supported the FFC since i was born, i have an old 80s logo tat on my arm and red white and blue in my blood. We as a club have had many dramas over the times but for the last 10 years we have been pretty stable.

BUT Do not have any doubts the football club is in meltdown. I do not blame Aker for this, sure he has caused a drama or 3 but this is what you get with Aker.

Past players are fighting with other past players on this issue, current players are fighting current players not to mention the in fighting with in the clubs own board.

So the question i put to you the AFL general public is what should be the clubs move from a outsiders point of view? What should we Footscray Fans expect? I created a thread on the Dogs board calling for Smorgon to be sacked due to a few key issues at the club and it seems like most disagree with this so id like to see the independent thought on this.

Football clubs are professional organisations these days.

I've had a number of jobs over the years including a 10 year stint in the military. Over your working life there's going to be colleagues that you don't see eye to eye with or just plain don't like. The difference is, are you mature enough and professional enough to get past your differences and work together professionally?
As long as when it's needed everyone does their job to the best of their ability then that's all that should matter.

Footscray = amateur hour. That didn't like him, the leadership was too weak to pull him into line so they take the weak option and just dump him.

Can anyone on these boards from any club give me instances of where Aker has not been anything other than professional in his preparation and physical and mental application for games? If others get distracted by his comments and opinions then maybe they need to look at their own mental toughness.

Can anyone on these boards give me instances of when Aker has gone out on the ink and disgraced himself or a club?

Brisbane was different because he publicly criticised the coach and said there was a 5% chance of him still being at the club for the next season. I can't remember him doing either of those at Footscray.

I think there has been general unease amongst the bulk of the playing group when it transpired that he had lied to their faces.

Spin it any way you want, but there ain't too much chance of a comeback from that point.

Collingwood seemed to have got on alright with Heath Shaw lying to them about Didak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much anything Aker had to say could have been dismissed by the club with a simple statement saying 'That's Aker'. Now, did he get sacked for that article which was weeks ago, or for talking about that sit-down Q&A with the players? Or something else? It must be something else, and that something else must be serious, because even together the previous things are nothing.

It makes the club look petty. If those are the sorts of things that 'tear the club apart' then I don't hold out much hope for their future.

Can anyone on these boards give me instances of when Aker has gone out on the ink and disgraced himself or a club?
QUOTE]

He had been invited to the Brownlow Medal. he had hired the suit. He then got himself so smashed at Mad Monday that he was too drunk to attend. That's certainly going out "on the ink" as you put it and, as an employee/representative his employer would hardly have been happy.

He had been invited to the Brownlow Medal. he had hired the suit. He then got himself so smashed at Mad Monday that he was too drunk to attend. That's certainly going out "on the ink" as you put it and, as an employee/representative his employer would hardly have been happy.

That's the best you can come up with?

If I went with a group to my boss and said I refuse to work with one of my collegues, then my boss would say 'deal with it' or 'just get on with your job'.

What a pack of whingers the leadership group must be. I thought football was supposed to be a business now days. They've acted like a group of school kids.

QUOTE]

He had been invited to the Brownlow Medal. he had hired the suit. He then got himself so smashed at Mad Monday that he was too drunk to attend. That's certainly going out "on the ink" as you put it and, as an employee/representative his employer would hardly have been happy.[/quote]

So what you're saying there is that he let off some steam and got drunk after a gruelling season, but was still responsible enough not to go to the Brownlow and embarrass himself, his wife, his children and his club in front of a national audience but instead did the smart thing and stayed home.

This coming from someone using the moniker of Syd Jackson. A player who lied about being racially villified so that he could play in a GF and in the process cast a slur on an opponent that he didn't rectify for decades?

You asked. I responded. I didn't know you wanted to make it a competition as to who could come up with the best story! Be more specific next time.

Well, no I didn't ask, but even still, that incident hardly counts as an incident because he was sensible enough to know that he was a bit too pissed for a public appearance. And it was Mad Monday.

shocking example.

thats a perfect indication of Aker showing common sense, and making a decision that put the best interests of the club and game first.

Every club has disgruntled supporters and the captain is one of ours. He has had his knickers in a twist over the change of name from Footscray to the Western Bulldogs and cannot let go. He blames Smorgan for this and has used this opportunity for a further attack.

I don't think our board is "in meltdown" and most support the board and the decision. Given the lack of support on our board, the captan has taken his gripe to the main board hoping to pick up a few fellow ferals for support.

I am reminded of a quote from former Collingwood president, Alan McAlister who once said "Anyone who says they used to be a Collingwood supporter was never a Collingwood supporter", I think this applies equally to all clubs and anyone who wants to leave our club over this (and the captain is not one of those) will not be missed.

Every club has disgruntled supporters and the captain is one of ours. He has had his knickers in a twist over the change of name from Footscray to the Western Bulldogs and cannot let go. He blames Smorgan for this and has used this opportunity for a further attack.

I don't think our board is "in meltdown" and most support the board and the decision. Given the lack of support on our board, the captan has taken his gripe to the main board hoping to pick up a few fellow ferals for support.

I am reminded of a quote from former Collingwood president, Alan McAlister who once said "Anyone who says they used to be a Collingwood supporter was never a Collingwood supporter", I think this applies equally to all clubs and anyone who wants to leave our club over this (and the captain is not one of those) will not be missed.

Quote for truth.

So what you're saying there is that he let off some steam and got drunk after a gruelling season, but was still responsible enough not to go to the Brownlow and embarrass himself, his wife, his children and his club in front of a national audience but instead did the smart thing and stayed home.

This coming from someone using the moniker of Syd Jackson. A player who lied about being racially villified so that he could play in a GF and in the process cast a slur on an opponent that he didn't rectify for decades?

Brutal. But clinically effective and precise.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Footscray Football Club in meltdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back