Footy Personalities: Forced Upon Us

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, what the **** is Terry Wallace on, heard his segment on SEN today. Who wants hear about FootyGolf. I disagreed with parts of his JLT analysis but at least it was relevant. Anyone on this board could put together the shit he dribbles. The problem is he gets paid for this.

Don't like Garry, but at least he actually did play 200+ games and win a couple of AAs at CHF. I get the sense OP may be too young to know that. Lloyd is a vocal coaching critic on FC, but I guess he gets a free pass because he's thick as a brick and nobody would hire him as a senior coach. That all goes back to Lyon who, love him or hate him, is a polished performer. I think he does his best radio work with Brayshaw, personally.

Hamish is the one that gets me. As said ITT, the nepotism is astonishing and he continues to rise thanks to the indifference of coked up execs and the access to his brother that he undoubtedly provides. So glad to see him doing poorly in a competitive time slot.

By the way, I've not listened once. Smooth and Nova are my go to's in the morning. I like KB too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrible Sports Commentators/Pundits XXII

B: M Clarke (Cricket) FB: A Harper (Soccer) B: B Lake (AFL)
HB: I Healy CHB: H McLachlan (AFL) HB: M Taylor (cricket)
W: G Healy (AFL) C: D Russell (AFL) W: T Shaw (AFL)
HF: T Wallace (AFL) CHF: D Brereton HF: L Darcy (AFL)
FP: M Richardson (AFL) FF: B Taylor (AFL) FP: S Warne (Cricket)
R: B Zempilas (AFL) RR: T Watson (AFL) ROV: C Ling (AFL)

INT: B Hall (AFL), S Hill (Soccer), D Fleming (Cricket), D Frawley (AFL)

By the way I omitted David King because I know that not being in this 22 would piss him off no end.

It's a wrench to lose him, especially because his replacement can barely talk, bit I think Roos is one of the best commentators out there. He's a bit long winded, but he's not pretentious and he never talks out of his arse - everything he says is qualified, as a rule. Can't wait to hear him talk about Hunty, Jonesy and Frosty this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't like Garry, but at least he actually did play 200+ games and win a couple of AAs at CHF. I get the sense OP may be too young to know that.

I actually think that's the problem with commentary these days - they give the jobs to people based on their footballing ability rather than their ability to analyse a game or string a coherent sentence together. Most of the commentators people have listed here as the best are professional media people - Grybas, Wheatley, Hudson, etc. They got a job because they were good at it, not because they were good at something related to it. Glen Jakovich was a champion footballer and I loved watching him play for my club, but dear god the man should never have been let anywhere near a microphone.

It's the same with coaches getting jobs because they were good footballers/favourite sons, when the most successful ones were often not that high profile as players.

Of course, this still leaves us with the mystery of Basil.

You gotta wonder how or why Channel 7 continually play dumb with their shithouse commentators and 'personalities'. I mean, I have never EVER heard a positive word spoken IRL, or typed on this forum about Hamish McLachlan, Basil, or many of the other dimwits.

Surely they get barrage after barrage of negative feedback via social media or otherwise every time they air the footy or other major sporting events and they just keep giving these tryhard losers more prime screentime.

Terrible Sports Commentators/Pundits XXII

B: M Clarke (Cricket) FB: A Harper (Soccer) B: B Lake (AFL)
HB: I Healy CHB: H McLachlan (AFL) HB: M Taylor (cricket)
W: G Healy (AFL) C: D Russell (AFL) W: T Shaw (AFL)
HF: T Wallace (AFL) CHF: D Brereton HF: L Darcy (AFL)
FP: M Richardson (AFL) FF: B Taylor (AFL) FP: S Warne (Cricket)
R: B Zempilas (AFL) RR: T Watson (AFL) ROV: C Ling (AFL)

INT: B Hall (AFL), S Hill (Soccer), D Fleming (Cricket), D Frawley (AFL)
Andy Harper should be the captain of that XXII, nothing worse than having to sit through 90 minutes of football, listening to him and Simon Hill salivate over Sydney FC and Graham Arnold :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basil is a product of commetti and endorsed by him too. The perfect example of a boys club leaving us with shit commentary. Noticed basil has taken over telethon and the olympics too. The prick is WA's version of eddie maguire.
Will be calling Saturday Nights with Luke Darcy too this season. AFL Commentary's version of the apocalypse.

Hutchy was a very strange appointment for me. He just sounded like a babbling idiot with no camera presence on Footy Classified. Even openly mocked by others on the panel for his lack of research on key topics, and yet has been given, almost, probably, the biggest hosting gig in the footy media. I don't really understand it. There surely must have been 100 better candidates at least.
The sight of Hutchy just infuriates me for some reason, and I can't put my finger on it.

I hear that voice or see that face and all that comes to my mind are two words that start with "F" and "C" - and they're not "Footy Classifieds".

I actually started to cringe when I realised Basil Zempalis was doing the presentation introductions for the Australian Open finals.

Beamed internationally, and watched by many millions. Let that sink in.

By far the most embarrassing thing to happen at the AO in recent memory, and that includes Serena being asked (from memory by Rompingwins) to do a twirl. :$

I actually think that's the problem with commentary these days - they give the jobs to people based on their footballing ability rather than their ability to analyse a game or string a coherent sentence together. Most of the commentators people have listed here as the best are professional media people - Grybas, Wheatley, Hudson, etc. They got a job because they were good at it, not because they were good at something related to it. Glen Jakovich was a champion footballer and I loved watching him play for my club, but dear god the man should never have been let anywhere near a microphone.

It's the same with coaches getting jobs because they were good footballers/favourite sons, when the most successful ones were often not that high profile as players.

Of course, this still leaves us with the mystery of Basil.

Basil rode Commetti's coattails, and stuck that gigantic beak of his up the arse of seemingly every exec at 7.

You gotta wonder how or why Channel 7 continually play dumb with their shithouse commentators and 'personalities'. I mean, I have never EVER heard a positive word spoken IRL, or typed on this forum about Hamish McLachlan, Basil, or many of the other dimwits.

Surely they get barrage after barrage of negative feedback via social media or otherwise every time they air the footy or other major sporting events and they just keep giving these tryhard losers more prime screentime.

When the Rompingwins thing happened the football media turned a blind eye completely. You can bet if someone less connected was caught doing that, the sharks would've circled.

Basil is a product of commetti and endorsed by him too. The perfect example of a boys club leaving us with shit commentary. Noticed basil has taken over telethon and the olympics too. The prick is WA's version of eddie maguire.

That's harsh. For all the hate, Eddie is pretty good at what he does. Basil has to be the least charismatic person on the planet, a real fun sponge.

Will be calling Saturday Nights with Luke Darcy too this season. AFL Commentary's version of the apocalypse.

Darcy has dodged a bullet so far in this thread, not only is he awful, but he's awfully smug too. :thumbsdown:

I call it a lack of gonads.

Most people in the footy fourth estate lack the gonads to coach. They would rather make the easy money in the media.

Dunstall has large stones; part of the rebuild at Hawthorn over the last decade.

They genuinely think these people are good value and popular.

I get that it's fun to heap shit on everyone we don't like (see: forums generally), but who on the periphery of footy media do you like and think deserves a bigger spotlight?

Who do you want to see elevated to hosting/commentating on TV?
Jason Bennett, hands down one of the two or three best callers out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Personalities: Forced Upon Us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back