Moved Thread For non vic fans who disdain the AFL competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Grim statement but the AFL will only become an even comp once everyone that was alive during the 60/70/80s VFL days is gone.

Then they can stop holding onto the old state league glory days and move forward with the competition because theirs no one left from those years and people will only be affiliated to the AFL.

In another 30-40 years no one will give 2 shitzens about the VFL or who won what back in that league.

Sorry the history of the Vic clubs is multi generational and entrenched.

What do you want to happen? Less melb clubs?

No we don't, admittedly I can't speak for everyone but the general sentiment for Pie fans is that rich carl and ess are the enemy, not non vic teams - will always barrack for non vic teams against these 3.

You can guess who I'll be barracking for tonight.

I mean are Adelaide fans barracking for port to win the flag, cos you know pride of SA?

Yeah some have this weird notion that Vics actually despise them.

It's actually quite funny how they think we hate them when most Vics don't care enough, they should know this from following a state league, there is rivalries.

Do non Vic supporters think people in Vic are all barracking for Richmond to beat crows and gws in grand finals, or pies to beat the eagles in 2018? Or cats last year v Sydney?

Maybe dogs in 2016 people were going for in Vic, and last year people fairly ambivalent, but when rich, pies and hawks have played interstate sides in recent GFs, majority of Vic supporters of non competing clubs would of been wanting the interstate sides to get up.

Isn’t the afl more equitable than old state comps as we now have a draft and salary cap?

That would be the only thing. All those old state comps played every team twice. There was no set stand alone games to give Certain clubs better exposure or a leg up. The league decided were abd when games were nit based on money but on fairness for all.
The clubs put value on their players not the league.

Sorry the history of the Vic clubs is multi generational and entrenched.

What do you want to happen? Less melb clubs?

People will ofcourse still support their clubs in 40 years time and I’m not saying any club will disappear.

However they won’t be looking back and thinking about the VFL from 1960 and saying YoU jOiNeD oUr LeAgUe!

As by then, the only league anyone will know and remember will be the AFL. The VFL will be as relevant as the VFA is now.

Does anyone here now actually care about what happened to their clubs back in the 1930/40s? doubt it. Time changes people’s perspectives and time will changes the leagues perspectives and priorities to become a league with a greater national focus.

In 40 years time we won’t have media personalities driving their agendas based on their playing days or associations to the VFL, we won’t have constant references to pointless premierships from the 60s as if they mean anything and hold any weight in conversations now as that was 100 years ago, we won’t have insane decade long contracts based on a previous league no one grew up watching or following, we will likely have a 50/50 split between vic and interstate clubs, etc.

I’m not saying people will stop supporting their vic clubs in the future but that link back to the VFL will be gone. It will only be the AFL by that point.

I don’t know why, I get we joined the VFL. I’m still dirty on WA footy rushing to do that. Matters not now however.
The only thing I really hate is the lack of respect the keepers of the sport have had in sharing the great history of the SANFL and The WAFL. That is on the AFL.
The so called vic bias does not overly worry me, I just shut off to it if I think it’s there. The Friday night football games always are a Vic team. So I just stopped watching Friday night footy. Other than finals or West Coast playing I can’t remember watching one.
I am more annoyed with what the AFL have done to this sport. I used to love this sport but now I don’t even know the rules anymore.
The fans however don’t care for the sport as we once all did, they care only for their club so the AFL know they can do as they please with the sport and the sheep will just watch it.
That is the sad thing for me.
Should the GF be rotated? Yes of course it should but I kinda like the MCG.
Should they fixture be fairer, yes of course it should. But until Victoria wants it fairer it will never be addressed. And of course they don’t want it to be addressed. So I live with it.
As I don’t love the sport anymore and that really annoys me then I have lost caring. That’s life as they say.

Many of your points are 💯 % legitimate and I totally sympathise with (esp with lack of SANFL, WAFL and other state league recognition)

I am genuinely sorry that non-victorian fans like you feel disillusioned and disenfranchised with our great game and football league.

I will admit I do not appreciate calls from several of your non Victorian club supporters calling for several smaller Vic clubs to fold/relocate or merge. Definitely not accusing you of such a statement, but it's a common theme amongst many discontented non Victorian supporters.

OP should write a post on all the good things about Australia and then that means anyone who doesn't love ScoMo should * off

Similar logic.

I can like Australia and also think ScoMo was a dumb ass deadshit.
Just about everyone thinks Scomo is a deadsh*t. Irrelevant.

The difference being non vic forever bitch and moan about this league, like the sky has fallen in, yet they continue with the misery.

:shrug:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you honestly believe it's impossible to enjoy something, even though you have complaints about it?

For mine, if I supported Collingwood, I'd forever be complaining, because the club's gifted probably the biggest ride in the comp, yet continuously fails at winning flags.

Mind you, this was an issue long before the AFL was ever a thing .
Of course you can, my point is though that the carry on about the inequity is perpetual.

There's literally 1000s of pages on this subject on BF alone.

We all know the league is not equitable, the complaining doesn't stop though.

So again, if anyone has a problem with it but accept it, will that lessen the bitching about the inequity? If not why not?

It's not that I care, just curious to know, I think it's reasonable question.

Grim statement but the AFL will only become an even comp once everyone that was alive during the 60/70/80s VFL days is gone.

Then they can stop holding onto the old state league glory days and move forward with the competition because theirs no one left from those years and people will only be affiliated to the AFL.

In another 30-40 years no one will give 2 shitzens about the VFL or who won what back in that league.
Why not all clubs go back to their state leagues?

I know I'd prefer to go back to an all vic competition.

If every WA and SA fan snubbed the AFL and followed their state leagues, those leagues would be much higher profile and much richer than what they are now. They'd take over the TV and radio and papers, vic would be forgotten about.

They'd be the equal tier to an all vic competition.

I don't see the issue, I think it'd be better, and there'd be no vic bias to complain about.

How would that not be better?

Of course you can, my point is though that the carry on about the inequity is perpetual.

There's literally 1000s of pages on this subject on BF alone.

We all know the league is not equitable, the complaining doesn't stop though.

So again, if anyone has a problem with it but accept it, will that lessen the bitching about the inequity? If not why not?

It's not that I care, just curious to know, I think it's reasonable question.
Ever heard of "It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil"

Ever heard of "It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil"
You're not getting the grease though, pretty much the only way you can make this league more equitable to non vic clubs is to merge / cull vic clubs or anything that is a detriment to the current vic clubs have.

It's been explained a gazillion times why this won't / can't happen.

In short you can't have what you want then why stick with it? Reasonable question.

People are answering, are you not listening?
Can you link an answer apart from stallon has stated?

The enjoyment of beating vic teams, if that is it, why is it so important? And does that balance out the dislike of everything else?

If it's not that bad, why do we have a gazillion posts of salt about it? More and more everyday.

You're not getting the grease though, pretty much the only way you can make this league more equitable to non vic clubs is to merge / cull vic clubs or anything that is a detriment to the current vic clubs have.

It's been explained a gazillion times why this won't / can't happen.

In short you can't have what you want then why stick with it? Reasonable question.

Can you link an answer apart from stallon has stated?

The enjoyment of beating vic teams, if that is it, why is it so important? And does that balance out the dislike of everything else?

If it's not that bad, why do we have a gazillion posts of salt about it? More and more everyday.
I would suggest re-reading your thread. There has been lots of answers

Does anyone here now actually care about what happened to their clubs back in the 1930/40s? doubt it.
Yep I do, coz it's my club, do you not care about Port at the same time?
pointless premierships from the 60s
Not the club and the fans
we will likely have a 50/50 split between vic and interstate clubs, etc.
Not until there is enough market, i:e the population has to catch up.

Right now the vic population exceeds all other footy states and territories by more than a million combined.

That's why the landscape is geared toward vic fans, more than non vic fans, there's more of them
I’m not saying people will stop supporting their vic clubs in the future but that link back to the VFL will be gone.
Vic clubs will always have links back to their vfl roots

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread For non vic fans who disdain the AFL competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back