• Yes, or it'll happen again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, or he'll strenghten the pies

• Don't care

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem here is the dollars. We can offer him more dollars than anyone else because of that veterans list clause - that is quite wierd and will rarely happen. So his management will be driving it because we can provide by a very long way the best deal. A little taste of what it feels like to be the GC.

The salary cap wont make a lot of difference if he's going to retire. A dishonoured contract doesn't get paid.

The salary cap wont make a lot of difference if he's going to retire. A dishonoured contract doesn't get paid.

This is true which is why you may find yourself with a non-committed player for two years on gigantic dollars. Damn I wouldn't walk away from that.

The whole retire call by Tarrant is quite bizarre, hollow & frankly a bit childish. I am still not a fan of the bloke because he has attitude problems, that he has apparently reformed - thats sort of stuff tells me otherwise.

If he nominates for the ND then I would be against us re-drafting him there. We should use our ND picks on quality youngsters.

The PSD, however, I would most certainly be prepared to do it.

Ball is younger and offered more to the Pies than Tarrant does. So I'm not yet convinced Collingwood would be prepared to draft him in the ND - especially for a highish pick. I suspect this Connors statement is all just bluff and bluster.

I thinks it's all moot anyway - surely a deal will be done near the end of trade week.

I am not sure what pick we would draft him at - maybe 30s 40s. So you are willing to burn a #20-30s draft pick in the expectation that both sides make the granny and Tarrant will play on Pavlich and effectively win the game? Thats a good percentage play! There must be no chance that the draft pick you trashed could provide a player to further your club over the next 10 years.

You are probably the same sort of guy that the TAB makes money off when they offer 1000-1 on Keplar Bradley to win the Brownlow.

if collingood were to offer a pick in the 30's for tarrant to us, then the deal would have already been done.....

i honestly would love to see the club burn our pick 61 if he hadnt been drafted by then, and watch him retire. if collingwood use their pick in the 30's on him then too bad for us... atleast the pies have used a pick on "a guy we dont need" and who will only strengthen them for a few years, rather than on a potentially 200 game player.

if the pies offer us peanuts... then stuff tarrant i say.... play the draft card and see how you go

Am I the only one who thinks that Chris wants to have his cake and eat it too? Cop this:

Chris had nine years at Collingwood and he just feels that he owes them a couple of really good years at a place that he can call home, Connors said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103897/default.aspx

Wait a minute... you owe WHO a couple of really good years?

I'm not advocating the whole idea of drafting and forcing him into retirement, but I wouldn't argue with making his life difficult.

WE have a 2 young guns named ben reid and nathan brown,stop spinning this "we need him",we dont....

We are premiers with 2 young good defenders and presti to help out....

How does the 2nd best defence in the comp need a 30yo backmen who is still getting over season ending knee injury?

if i were you i would have jumped at jack anthony...(he is 22,can play both ends,will get better,cant get a game at pies,but taz is a walk up starting 22:rolleyes:)

yeah... but tarrant right now is better than all of those three... how is it you do not get that :confused:

I shouldn't really be having a crack there, I backed Barlow after round 2 for $10 @ $501. Shattered when he did his knee. Still have the ticket in my wallet and when I see it I shed a quiet tear. As it turns out he probably couldn't have beaten Judd.

snapped his leg, not a knee injury

As attractive as it may be to shaft a club that is trying to shaft us... it won't happen. What's the point? It just creates bad blood and a sense of everyone's a loser. Tarrant may have nominated one club only, but I guess we have the "I smashed a guy's face open but still won the Brownlow" Carlton captain to thank for the fact that many players who now want to change clubs nominate one club only, making it difficult for their current club to get a good deal - or negotiate the best deal for themselves by having competition from others... The Patrick Veszpremi / David Hale situations are the healthiest for the competition and the spirit of trading - but the reality is that that is the least common thing these days.
And really, ending a player's career just to spite him (and his choice of club) is not going to endear the club to others who may be after a change of scenery, or a fresh start, or to come/go home (in either direction).
It'd be great to say - FU Collingwood... if you don't deal, then you don't get him... and FU Taz - Freo turned your flagging career around, and if you don't help us get adequate compensation then.. well... just go right ahead and retire! But the reality is it's unlikely to happen. A deal will most likely be done, maybe we won't be entirely happy with it, but sometimes you just gotta do it.

As attractive as it may be to shaft a club that is trying to shaft us... it won't happen. What's the point? It just creates bad blood and a sense of everyone's a loser. Tarrant may have nominated one club only, but I guess we have the "I smashed a guy's face open but still won the Brownlow" Carlton captain to thank for the fact that many players who now want to change clubs nominate one club only, making it difficult for their current club to get a good deal - or negotiate the best deal for themselves by having competition from others... The Patrick Veszpremi / David Hale situations are the healthiest for the competition and the spirit of trading - but the reality is that that is the least common thing these days.
And really, ending a player's career just to spite him (and his choice of club) is not going to endear the club to others who may be after a change of scenery, or a fresh start, or to come/go home (in either direction).
It'd be great to say - FU Collingwood... if you don't deal, then you don't get him... and FU Taz - Freo turned your flagging career around, and if you don't help us get adequate compensation then.. well... just go right ahead and retire! But the reality is it's unlikely to happen. A deal will most likely be done, maybe we won't be entirely happy with it, but sometimes you just gotta do it.

There is only one person threatening to end Tarrant's career. He wanted to return to Melbourne. There are 9 clubs for him to play with if he wants to play AFL in Melbourne. If he's only prepared to play for 1 he obviously doesn't really care too much about playing.

There is only one person threatening to end Tarrant's career. He wanted to return to Melbourne. There are 9 clubs for him to play with if he wants to play AFL in Melbourne. If he's only prepared to play for 1 he obviously doesn't really care too much about playing.

Fair call. Didn't think of it that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hindsight and all but can't believe they knocked back Wellingham. He is a gun.

yeah, the saints knocking back wellingham is a little different to us knocking back davis IMO.... sharrod is a bloody good player, davis is a has been hack who got gifted an AA birth ahead of lecras (i know he is an eagle and it is my sacred duty to despise all of them at all times, but say what you like he still deserved that spot) purely because he wore black and white... davis wouldnt get a gig for us... something tells me that if wellingham was at the saints our old mate brett peake wouldnt have had the opportunity to embarrass himself so badly on the big stage

Isn't there 10 clubs in Vic ;)

yeah, the saints knocking back wellingham is a little different to us knocking back davis IMO.... sharrod is a bloody good player, davis is a has been hack who got gifted an AA birth ahead of lecras (i know he is an eagle and it is my sacred duty to despise all of them at all times, but say what you like he still deserved that spot) purely because he wore black and white... davis wouldnt get a gig for us... something tells me that if wellingham was at the saints our old mate brett peake wouldnt have had the opportunity to embarrass himself so badly on the big stage

You have knocked back Anthony though and although he is no Wellingham he is a very capable player. Carlton are sniffing around him and he is a great fit there, he would have no trouble kicking 50+ as he did in 2009. If Carlton do pick him up I will be very annoyed as hate to see them improve, but good luck to Jack. The point is you are laughing at the Saints when its probably going to happen to you guys, regardless of what happens to Tarrant.

I disagree with this bit. IMO it sends a message to our own players that "if you want to leave, don't **** us over and nominate one club only; allow us to get adequate compensation for you". It also sends a strong message to other clubs at the trade table for the next few years.

I disagree with this bit. IMO it sends a message to our own players that "if you want to leave, don't **** us over and nominate one club only; allow us to get adequate compensation for you". It also sends a strong message to other clubs at the trade table for the next few years.

Exactly right. Freo should also blacklist Paul Connors, Tarrants and Luke Balls manager, he is sooooooo one-sided in his dealings. Sends a message that future players should be very wary of anything to do with Connors - if other clubs also do it the result will be beneficial for the whole comp.

In business and real life you never do a totally one-sided deal or try to totally shaft the other party, unless you never expect/want to do business with them again. So lets give Connors his wish and never do business with him or any of his players again.

I reckon the powers that be have this attitude !! Good luck Tarrant, but at this stage you ain't going to the Pies unless they become a bit more amenable !!

The down side of this approach is that we deny our hot recruiters another swing at getting us a gun...
This pick is part of our overall rebuild as we move forward...The more chances we have at getting guys under 22 who will join with the olther young guns in 5 years time the better...Tarrnat will be long retired when that happens

If a suitable and reasonable trade (in the eyes of Freo) is not arranged I can see a major push for an AFL investigation. Tarrants manager has already stated Tarrant will only play for one club next year - about as close to draft manipulation as you can get. And for all the player excuses that it is their manager - a player's manager is an agent and the player is responsible for all the manager says/does unless immediately refuted by the player - that is common law.

Tarrant is scum - he blatantly lied weeks ago about wanting to do the best trade option for Freo.

The down side of this approach is that we deny our hot recruiters another swing at getting us a gun...
This pick is part of our overall rebuild as we move forward...The more chances we have at getting guys under 22 who will join with the olther young guns in 5 years time the better...Tarrnat will be long retired when that happens

Such a BLOODY good point, get a pick, recruiters - DO YOUR MAGIC

Remove this Banner Ad

Forcing Tarrant to retire through re-drafting

Back