Forget the AA. Pick a national side for a real game.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Gerbil King

Team Captain
Oct 20, 2007
Widgemooltha
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Subiaco
The AA is mainly about symbolism. Imagine our friends across the Tasman were fanatical about Aussie Rules rather than Union or sheep shagging. What team would you pick for a Test right now with current form and injuries?

Here is my shot:

Rawlings Lake S Gilbert
O'Brien H Taylor Hodge
Jack Judd J Selwood
Lecras Franklin S. Johnson
Chapman J Riewoldt Didak

Sandilands Ablett Swann

Int. Jolly Mundy Goddard Rioli

Coach : Williams
Capt : Judd

You may now shoot me down in flames

B: Johncock Lake H.Shaw
HB: Hodge Bock Goddard
C: Pendelbury Swallow Montagna
HF: Didak Pavlich Rioli
F: S.Johnson J.Riewoldt Lecras
R: Sandilands S.Thompson Ablett

Int. Franklin Deledio Boyd Fisher

you would surely put J Brown or N Riewoldt, players like that who havent had the best seasons but would easily be in the best in the league

Maybe they should just have a Victoria vs All Star match each year one week before the season starts?

Maybe they should just have a Victoria vs All Star match each year one week before the season starts?

i'd like to see AA as picked by the commitee versus the best of the rest as picked by lethal and maybe the equally ruthless dean laidley with the specific purpose of belting them.

cool, but what's the go with naming rooke on the bench?!
We want to keep Max fresh.

Seriously though, can you imagine how large the dump in the pants of the sheep shaggers would be if they were lined up against even one of Max Rooke? Max Rooke should be the face of this country! He would demand a lot more respect than Gillard or Abbott!

I mean come on - just look at how awe-inspiring he is.

mb_rooke_narrowweb__300x432,0.jpg

We miss you Max

This would be m absolute best side from all teams in the AFL. I'd love to see Buddy on the wing!

B: H.Shaw Scarlett Morris
HB: Goddard Lake Hodge
C: Swan Goodes Franklin
HF: Didak N.Reiwolt Chapman
F: Rioli J.Brown S.Johnson
R: Sandilands Judd Ablett
Int: Pavlich Cooney Hayes Harvey

No need for a 2nd ruckman, when Goodes is playing for Australia he can give Sandi a chop out. Pavlich the absolute ultimate bench utility.

I don't like the kiwis chances of winning any centre clearances with my starting centre square combination of Sandilands, Goodes, Judd and Ablett.

Drummond, Scarlett, Lake
H Shaw , Bock, Hodge
Goodes, Swan, Pavlich
Chapman, Riewoldt, Franklin
Didak, Brown, Ablett

FOLL: Sandilands, Judd, Cooney
INT: Petrie, Goddard, Hayes, Bartel

****I know I have picked injured guys but if we are picking a "number 1" side I think this would be mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My team would be:

S.Gilbert------B.Lake----M.Scarlett
B.Goddard----N.Bock----C.Enright

A.Sandilands--L.Hodge----G.Ablett
D.Swan--------C.Judd-----A.Cooney

P.Chapman--N.Rewioldt--S.Johnson
L.Franklin-----J.Brown-----A.Didak

A.Goodes-----J.Bartel----M.Pavlich-----L.Hayes

Gee: 6
Stk: 4
Coll: 2
WB: 2
Haw: 2
Fre: 2
Carl: 1
Bris: 1
Syd: 1
GC: 1

good call on Petrie rusler, he is potentially the ulitmate second ruckman. As he can also play key posts forward or back, but I'll stick with Goodes giving the the chop out.

Drummond is also a good pick

good call on Petrie rusler, he is potentially the ulitmate second ruckman. As he can also play key posts forward or back, but I'll stick with Goodes giving the the chop out.

Drummond is also a good pick

Yea you wouldn't mind having either (or both as I've got), very different but both very effective. I picked Petrie because as you said, he can do it all. Severely underrated footballer, he's a gun on every line and North's best player when fit. They've done amazingly well without him this year.

Drummond's just a freak. His kicking is ridiculous, in the best 3 kicks of a football I've seen in my life. He is the ultimate zone breaker. Shaw's in there because I think he's the most devastating running backman in the league when he's off the lease which he certainly would be playing in that team. I see you have him too, I'm thinking for similar reasons.

Hodge has not played as a half back flanker this year and is therefore either not in the team or the starting centreman/ruck rover.

Shaw...........Lake..........Scarlett
Goddard.......Taylor.........Enright
Montagna.....Swan.......Pendlebury
Chapman.....Franklin.......Johnson
Hall..........J.Reiwoldt........Didak

Sandilands....Hodge.........Ablett

Goodes......Judd.......Selwood......Hayes

Obviously based on the OP's request for 'current form and injuries' so Morris and Cooney miss out (Shaw and Pendlebury take their spot).

There is always the players who wouldnt be out of place but havent made my team (i.e. Bartel and N.Reiwoldt) but I have picked a team for balance and where players actually play (i.e. not moving Hodge to a HBF just to fit another mid in).

I acknowledge that Shaw probably isnt a back pocket (more of a HBF) but I don't get to see much footy over here so couldn't name any small bbackman who don't don the brown and gold - happy to take suggestions.

Lake and Goodes as the key defenders. Attacking defenders.
Hodge and Goddard on their flanks. Superb creators, good spoilers too.
Deledio and Gibbs in the pockets. Talent, speed and run.

J.Reiwodlt and J.Brown as the key forwards. Strong marking targets.
N.Reiwoldt and Franklin on the flanks. Run all day, involved in midfield.
Ablett and Didak in the pockets. Super talents, switching onball.

Sandilands in the ruck. Well duh. 1st picked probably.
Mitchell, Judd and Swan in the middle. 3 incredible ball winners + huge ruck = proft.
Montagna and Cooney as the wings. Pace, goal kicking.

Pavlich, Chapman, B.Harvey and Pendlebury on the bench.

=======
Very attacking/skills focused side - could probably do with a shut-down player or outright tagger, but I've taken the view that you get the best possible bunch of blokes together, then work out a side around that.

B: Lindsay Gilbee - Matthew Scarlett - Heath Shaw
HB: Luke Hodge - Brian Lake - Brendon Goddard
C: Sam Mitchell - Dane Swan - Joel Selwood
HF: Alan Didak - Jonathan Brown - Steve Johnson
F: Paul Chapman - Lance Franklin - Cyril Rioli
R: Aaron Sandilands - Chris Judd - Gary Ablett Jnr.
INT: Lenny Hayes - Adam Cooney - Adam Goodes - Nick Riewoldt

If my life depended on a game I would pick this:

B: Brett Deledio - Brian Lake - Heath Shaw
HB: Luke Hodge - Nathan Bock - Brendon Goddard
C: Lenny Hayes - Dane Swan - Adam Goodes
HF: Leigh Montagna - Jonathan Brown - Steve Johnson
F: Paul Chapman - Lance Franklin - Keiren Jack
R: Aaron Sandilands - Chris Judd - Gary Ablett Jnr.
INT: Matthew Boyd - Adam Cooney - Joel Selwood - Nick Riewoldt

We want to keep Max fresh.

Seriously though, can you imagine how large the dump in the pants of the sheep shaggers would be if they were lined up against even one of Max Rooke? Max Rooke should be the face of this country! He would demand a lot more respect than Gillard or Abbott!

I mean come on - just look at how awe-inspiring he is.

mb_rooke_narrowweb__300x432,0.jpg

We miss you Max

The man crush is strong in this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Forget the AA. Pick a national side for a real game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back