Play Nice Franklin contract talks on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, here are my thoughts.

Case 1 - Buddy wants to stay and its a ploy to get more money.
My first reaction upon hearing the news was "Pickering must think he can squeeze more out of the Hawks if he puts contract talks off until the end of the season".
There's a lot of truth in that way of looking at it I think. By the end of the year the club will be desperate to retain Franklin at any price, and free agency offers from other clubs will come in that the club may be forced to match. That doesn't necessarily mean that Franklin INTENDS to accept any of those offers mind you, but the club won't be in a position to call his bluff, they'll have to match any free agency offer under the assumption that he will. (unless its something truly ridiculous like 2m a year from one of the expansion clubs, and then the ball will be in Buddy's court)

Case 2 - Buddy doesn't mind which club he plays for, so long as he gets top dollar.
Now I'm not saying this is the case, everything Franklin's said up to this point suggests he wants to say at Hawthorn. Franklin doesn't strike me as the mercenary type either for that matter, though neither did Ablett. Money does strange things to people.
If Pickering's convinced him that this current contract negotiation will probably be the most important of his whole career (something I would agree with) then I guess from that point of view it does make sense for Franklin to hold off until the end of the year so he can see how large the free agency offers are, and which clubs they come from.
Looking at it from Pickering's perspective; Here's the most sought-after player in the competition in the absolute prime of his career, it is utterly nonsensical that he re-signs with his current club before at least fielding offers from others or "testing the waters" so to speak. Who knows? Maybe one of the expansion clubs will throw a ludicrous amount of coin his way and naturally Pickering gets paid a percentage commission of whatever Franklin earns.... no surprises for guessing what he'd be whispering in Lance's ear.

Case 3 - Buddy wants to leave.
Well this is the nightmare scenario and before today's news I would've rated it 50-1 at least. It's very hard to know exactly what goes on behind the scenes at the club when we're fed so little real information. Does Franklin want to leave for some reason? I have no idea, obviously I very strongly hope that he doesn't, but for argument's sake I'll theorize why it might hypothetically be possible.
An obvious -possible- reason might be that Franklin isn't a big fan of Clarkson. I'm not either for that matter, and I'm not terribly convinced that Clarko has always used Franklin in the best possible manner since 2008.
Second, take a look at the delivery Franklin received from our midfielders in last year's GF. It was piss poor all day. With Mitchell, Hodge & Sewell all nearing the end Buddy may feel that he'd get significantly better opportunities to kick bags elsewhere... and to be quite honest I'd agree with him. God only knows how easily he'd crack the ton every year with Collingwood's midfield giving him silver service, hypothetically of course.
Finally, he may feel that last year was our best chance of winning another flag and that he'd have better odds of winning a second premiership medal at a new club. Or he may simply feel its time for a change of scenery. Or he might have decided he's always wanted to live in Sydney. Who really knows? I certainly don't, all this is speculation of course.
Oh and finally I'd like to throw in a conspiracy theory - Vlad has secretly promised Buddy that if he signs with GWS he'll be paid umpteen million a year by the AFL for 'marketing purposes', after all who could promote the game in the market the AFL is *desperate* to grow the game in better than Buddy?

Best not to get too angry or philosophical too early

Cloke stayed, ablett didnt
Clokes a character, abletts more private like buddy

Whatever happens youd expect bud to play a blinder this year, if hes justifying a huge salary
I bet the clubs who just loaded up on free agency will be spitting ...hello sydney !!

If it does happen, i worry that his good mates at hawthorn have less reason to stay

Also hawthorn, get it done, the guy is just two years off veterans, we could put together a huge 5 year deal

Also hawthorn, get it done, the guy is just two years off veterans, we could put together a huge 5 year deal

Vets list is irrelevant now. Used to get 50% off a players wage excempt from the cap, now its only 112k or in this case, spare change

The Herald-Sun report says the club's offer is "up to 4 years". That sounds like it could be a 3 year offer with an option. If so, it's a rubbish offer and Buddy is right to consider his options. Even if it's a 4 year offer, that still leaves him coming out of contract at an age where another deal might be hard to come by. At the least, he'd likely have to take a massive pay cut.

Loyalty works both ways. Buddy has played for much less than market value for his whole career now.

If the Hawks really want to keep him offer him 5 years at $1m a year and this whole charade ends.

E
The Herald-Sun report says the club's offer is "up to 4 years". That sounds like it could be a 3 year offer with an option. If so, it's a rubbish offer and Buddy is right to consider his options. Even if it's a 4 year offer, that still leaves him coming out of contract at an age where another deal might be hard to come by. At the least, he'd likely have to take a massive pay cut.

Loyalty works both ways. Buddy has played for much less than market value for his whole career now.

If the Hawks really want to keep him offer him 5 years at $1m a year and this whole charade ends.

Even if, god forbid, bud had a career ending injury after 3 years he could stay on and be a marketing drawcard. If true, i just dont get it

Also of the guy really is money hungry, why isnt he now earning sqillions in international sport ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, surely this means we will need Roughy full time forward now?

We have to prepare for no Buddy, and Roughy is a better forward than a pinch hitting ruckman (as good as he has been!). He is a 70 - 80 goal Forward if given the chance.
I would like to see Clarko structure up forward with a Buddy gone scenario through the NAB at least. Better to start preparing for the Brave New World now, rather than later.

Quality player though he is losing him is not the end of the world.

Well, surely this means we will need Roughy full time forward now?

We have to prepare for no Buddy, and Roughy is a better forward than a pinch hitting ruckman (as good as he has been!). He is a 70 - 80 goal Forward if given the chance.
I would like to see Clarko structure up forward with a Buddy gone scenario through the NAB at least. Better to start preparing for the Brave New World now, rather than later.

Quality player though he is losing him is not the end of the world.

Agreed. Obviously we'd rather keep him, but if he does go then we swap Roughead into CHF, Gunston into FF and Hale as the swinging forward with Bailey as first ruck. That's still a bloody good setup; heck, we might even be able to snare a young key forward to help out a bit in the forward line.

That said, I can't see him going anywhere. 5 year deal with the Hawks announced at the end of the year, bookmark it.

I think you're forgetting that the club has a policy of not offering players 5 year contracts, after the hard lesson it learned from the Nick Holland farce.

On Monday I was informed Buddy would be leaving at the end of the season because he wants to return home to WA. I was told the source was an HFC director so I have to question any claim about the club being surprised. This year I will savour every game watching Buddy as if it will be his last for the Hawks ..... hopefully in a structured forward line which always results in our most productive output.

Like bosk I do wonder if the AFLs hand is in here somewhere. Sucks if it is
Rest assured mate that if Franklin does sign with an expansion team and it becomes apparent that the AFL has effectively 'brokered' the deal on their behalf then it will shake my faith in this sport to the core, as I expect it would to many other Hawthorn supporters.

Just how much does it cost to buy a 'hit' on someone these days anyway? I wouldn't know myself, but I do know that Vlad it so fat it'd probably take an entire clip (or an elephant gun) to down that sleazy creature. The head would make a splendid trophy though. :D

The thing is Buddy deserves to be the highest paid player in the game. He also has the option to get an offer from another club that we can match to keep him, this will ensure we he gets the best possible deal for himself and puts a huge strain on our cap (clubs will no doubt make false offers for buddy in a bid to squeeze hawthorn into low balling a young future star with promises of longer contract more money and opportunity) This could destroy the playing list not to mention the media distraction.
In terms of compensation we will no doubt get screwed, his true value is picks 1,2,something in the mid 20's and a young player who has shown real potential at AFL level. We will not doubt be given something rubbish like a pick in the late teens.

I think you're forgetting that the club has a policy of not offering players 5 year contracts, after the hard lesson it learned from the Nick Holland farce.

Inflexibly applying a policy regardless of circumstances is not very smart and the club only has itself to blame in that case. I reckon buddy has done enough to earn a deal from hawthorn through to retirement. I'd personally offer him 6 years but 5 will do. There are ways out of the deal if he was to have a career ending injury, otherwise I'll cop the risk of a tail off in form as the great man gets older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back