Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So because you don't agree it's a "Dumb post"? Yeah good on ya...
It's an observation that I have made and an opinion that I am quite rightly entitled to make. If you don't like it well tough t***ies.
If Clarko has been concerned that we're too predictable, why has it then taken 3-4 years to fix?

The idea that Clarkson is playing with our structures so we will be okay in 2014 is just ridiculous - last time I looked it was 2013 and we appear to be in contention for a ticket to the dance. End of story.

You've somehow come to an endgame that has no basis in reality by using unrelated events to justify your conclusions. It doesn't stack up to any sort of realistic scrutiny. Clarkson and the team are focussed on 2013 and there is no way they'd cut off their nose just to spite their face in that pursuit - it's all about making the collective better than focussing on the individual. Not about Buddy conspiracy theories.

Just got the inside word from my dog. She told me that we'll be doing a 3 way trade with West Coast and GWS at the end of the year that will see Buddy to the Eagles, Nic Nat to GWS and Whitfield, Cameron and a dragon to the Hawks.

U HERD IT HEAR FURST!!

:rolleyes:

What about that gorilla I always read about on this site? If they have a spare one of those, can we take that too?

I don't think the new tactic re spread of goalkickers is preparing for life without Buddy. I think it is the other way around. My guess is that:

1. Pre-season, Clarko sat Buddy down (maybe in Las Vegas as is reported) and said from now on you will be sacrificing your own game for the team most weeks.

2. Buddy was not quite sure he wanted to play as a decoy and hence put off contract negotiations to see how it went.

3. He'll decide at the end of the year whether being a "role player" in a potentially great team is enough for him.

I reckon it must be hard for a player of Buddy's standing and ability to play a selfless role for the whole year. He is already copping it for being "out of form". Ultimately, I think he'll choose to leave because of it and to be honest it is hard to blame him.

Clarko is willing to lose Buddy to win a premiership. He had better deliver because all time greats don't grow on trees.

I am sort of coming around to that theory as well.
If Buddy was only focussed on himself, going through a season and doing the team thing could count against him from a contract perspective.
I mean, who wants to sign a 50-60 goal, running high half forward to $1.3M a year? Nobody.
If he wanted to maximise his value, he will want to be kicking 80 goals plus and being the match winner. Right now that isn't him because Clarko has him playing the team role.

He may want to be that key forward with all the adulation that comes with it. He can't have that at Hawthorn.

On your last point, I would trade Buddy out in a minute if it guaranteed us a flag.

If Buddy was only focussed on himself, going through a season and doing the team thing could count against him from a contract perspective.
I mean, who wants to sign a 50-60 goal, running high half forward to $1.3M a year? Nobody.
If he wanted to maximise his value, he will want to be kicking 80 goals plus and being the match winner. Right now that isn't him because Clarko has him playing the team role.

He may want to be that key forward with all the adulation that comes with it. He can't have that at Hawthorn.

On your last point, I would trade Buddy out in a minute if it guaranteed us a flag.

Agreed 100% - Club before ANY player - no compromise.
I still question Buddy's agility when he hits 28-29 .... Might not have the explosive power of his earlier years

Franklins contract negotions have absolutely nothing to do with where he is being played this year, the fact that at this point of the season he is being used further up the ground and as a result kicking less goals will have zero impact on his decision at the end of the year.

The idea that Clarkson is playing with our structures so we will be okay in 2014 is just ridiculous - last time I looked it was 2013 and we appear to be in contention for a ticket to the dance. End of story.

You've somehow come to an endgame that has no basis in reality by using unrelated events to justify your conclusions. It doesn't stack up to any sort of realistic scrutiny. Clarkson and the team are focussed on 2013 and there is no way they'd cut off their nose just to spite their face in that pursuit - it's all about making the collective better than focussing on the individual. Not about Buddy conspiracy theories.

What utter tripe - they are not "conclusions" they are opinions to throw about in an open forum. Judging by a previous post, you tell people to "piss off" when you don't agree - really constructive champ!

It just appears to me that they are not only planning on a tilt at this year's flag - they are planning for 2014 and beyond as well. Is it just a mere coincidence that it has taken until this year for Clarko to realise that perhaps kicking it to Buddy 40% of the time over the past is too one-dimensional even though, as you have stated in a previous post, Clarko said back in 2008 that he didn't want Buddy kicking a ton every year? Have they now just realised that just because Buddy is waving his arms everywhere and demanding the ball everytime it is kicked into the forward 50, doesn't necessarily mean it's the right option?

If Buddy ends up staying and they keep the same structure next year I'll STFU. But until that decision is made, I, like most Hawk supporters would like to know one way or the other and probably sooner rather than later, so there will be a natural tendency to read into anything given that no-one but Buddy knows what is going on.

I've moved on from this, and you might want to as well.

C'mon people, last year everyone was jumping up and down about how Buddy was being double and triple teamed and why do we always kick it too Buddy. Now we have options and Buddy is dragging the best defender away from the play and we are pumping some good sides.

I do agree that Buddy loves being the star attraction when he's on the park. As some have mentioned football has moved beyond this. The Fevola 99 being a great example.

Buddy could become sole focus of an opposition forward line next year with the promise of being played out of the square. He might average 4 goals every week and not play finals. Geelong and Sydney have won flags using the 'shared forward load principle' albeit with talented goal scoring mids. We are trying it with forwards. Hopefully, Buddy is mature enough to realise this.

GWS and GC (with AFL assistance of course) were happy to sign up 2 blokes with no AFL experience at all under multi-million contracts on the back of their marketability. Imagine how much they would throw at Buddy - who can play a bit as well as being the most marketable player in the AFL!

GWS and GC (with AFL assistance of course) were happy to sign up 2 blokes with no AFL experience at all under multi-million contracts on the back of their marketability. Imagine how much they would throw at Buddy - who can play a bit as well as being the most marketable player in the AFL!

Those two blokes were marketable precisely because they had no AFL experience. If they think because Buddy is a big hit in the AFL states he's going to automatically be a big hit in Western Sydney they are dreaming.

I've moved on from this, and you might want to as well.

You've 'moved on' because you've made a goose of yourself - no more, no less.

FWIW I told a well known Hawthorn troll/alias to piss off with his shit stirring - keep up.

You really do struggle at the internets.

You've 'moved on' because you've made a goose of yourself - no more, no less.

FWIW I told a well known Hawthorn troll/alias to piss off with his shit stirring - keep up.

You really do struggle at the internets.

"You really do struggle at the internets"

Wow..."you really do struggle with the internets" and "you've made a goose of yourself" (because I have an opinion that you don't agree with).

I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a smarter statement than those two

I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a smarter statement than those two

You need to set your goals lower based on your current output - you've got your capabilities and your ambitions seriously confused.

The alphabet soup thing and shiting might be a winner though by the way - got to be better than how you're travelling atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

479776_471350306239604_1535432575_s.jpg

Oh Buddy, this is really disappointing to here, this is my favourite Hawthorn player, nearly of all time but lately I'm losing my love for the man. I really thought this time last year that Buddy had gotten past this stage in his life but it seems he hasn't.

I still remember in his second year, hearing about what he said to a girl in my year level (year 12) at a house party he went to, it wasn't great behaviour I'll put it at that. However that was when he was 19 or 20, so that could be excused, he is now 26 or so and still carrying on like this. Pull your head in Buddy, you are a star and by all reports a likeable friendly guy.

Since he has broken up with the ex and started hanging around those Rugby flogs he has seemed to get worse. Good on HFC for dealing with it promptly, I just wish Buddy learnt from his mistakes.

C'mon people, last year everyone was jumping up and down about how Buddy was being double and triple teamed and why do we always kick it too Buddy. Now we have options and Buddy is dragging the best defender away from the play and we are pumping some good sides.

I do agree that Buddy loves being the star attraction when he's on the park. As some have mentioned football has moved beyond this. The Fevola 99 being a great example.

Buddy could become sole focus of an opposition forward line next year with the promise of being played out of the square. He might average 4 goals every week and not play finals. Geelong and Sydney have won flags using the 'shared forward load principle' albeit with talented goal scoring mids. We are trying it with forwards. Hopefully, Buddy is mature enough to realise this.

It does seem that in the last few years teams which focus on one key forward don’t do well. But that’s not to say key forwards aren’t important.
Whereas teams which have good key forwards but don’t rely on them in the same way, eg Geelong with Hawkins and Pods, Sydney with Reid and Goodes, or the way Jack Riewoldt now plays at Richmond, that works very well. On a good day they would kick a bag. But on a bad day, the opposition still needs to put their best defenders on them and they can draw them away from the contests.
I think the game has passed Franklin (and the type of player that he is ) by...Buddy is a big moment player, not a big game one, yes we all marvel at those stunning goals on the run but......
As this sort of thing has been said here before, and it has drawn the response that ‘power forwards’ draw more than one opponent, leaving other players free to do damage but I don’t think that is true, to the extent of warranting their inclusion.
It occurred to me once or twice watching in a couple of games this year, but not as bed as other years that the Hawks had bad games in particular against Geelong, that we were way too focused on Franklin, when we have Roughead, Hale and now Gunston playing well who can take a mark in the forwardline, and Breust and Rioli more than capable of finding space...
Anyway lets just keep this game plan up because its really been working for the team...

Still has a bit of trouble with the whole 'learning what's appropriate' from the sounds of things.
Managed to make the news again.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ht-bar-behaviour/story-e6frf9jf-1226648737188

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/buddy-hell-contract-talk-angst-continued-here.995088/page-49

Kudos to the club for sorting it out ASAP.

I learnt(?) two things from the HUN headlines today:
  1. Buddy Franklin is a 'bad boy'
  2. Trent Cotchin will never retire from AFL footy
Fascinating that Stuart Fox "had an honest conversation with him regarding how he should carry himself in public"... again. I say 'again' as I'm sure I'm having a bad case of deja vu here...

Correction: No one will ever learn jack shit from a HUN headline.

It does seem that in the last few years teams which focus on one key forward don’t do well. But that’s not to say key forwards aren’t important.
Whereas teams which have good key forwards but don’t rely on them in the same way, eg Geelong with Hawkins and Pods, Sydney with Reid and Goodes, or the way Jack Riewoldt now plays at Richmond, that works very well. On a good day they would kick a bag. But on a bad day, the opposition still needs to put their best defenders on them and they can draw them away from the contests.
I think the game has passed Franklin (and the type of player that he is ) by...Buddy is a big moment player, not a big game one, yes we all marvel at those stunning goals on the run but......
As this sort of thing has been said here before, and it has drawn the response that ‘power forwards’ draw more than one opponent, leaving other players free to do damage but I don’t think that is true, to the extent of warranting their inclusion.
It occurred to me once or twice watching in a couple of games this year, but not as bed as other years that the Hawks had bad games in particular against Geelong, that we were way too focused on Franklin, when we have Roughead, Hale and now Gunston playing well who can take a mark in the forwardline, and Breust and Rioli more than capable of finding space...
Anyway lets just keep this game plan up because its really been working for the team...

I don't think the game has passed him by, but hope that this type of behaviour does...

Great footballer - but what a doofus <shakes head>

There seems to be a common denominator here.

So, you call him a doofus on the basis of a Facebook post by someone who's had an argument with him?

You seem to be the expert on this thread.

Do you know both sides of the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back