Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the Sydney media will love making a player of our game look bad. They get off on talking shit about AFL. Most AFL supporters I know are just lovers of sport in general. If someone around them was interested in League they would ask questions and make an effort to understand and enjoy the game. Rugby League supports have a hate for our game. They think it's soft and detest the fact it is called footy or football by some. As far as the league goes, and I am sure there is influential fingures in the NRL who could quite easily sway a News Limited employee to write a anti Australian Rules artical if they share a simular point if view on the code.

But through time with league supporters I have come to see some of the faults in our game. In Rugby League, and all forms of Rugby for that matter, there is a knock on rule. In our game, taught from a very young age, we are told to run flat out and just try and keep the ball out in front of you until possession is obtainable. This not considered a skill by League supporters and is looked at as a soft option and not becoming of the worrier standard of a footballer.

Also we reward missing with giving behinds, I like it as it will always tell a story of a game with just a score line eg 2008 Gand Final GEEL 11.23.89 HAW 18.7.115. But from a League supporters point of view of kicking goals, if you miss the goals...you miss the goals. I believe there is an argument for the skill in ball drops compared to the place kicking of Rugby and Rugby League but the 50-60% acuracy AFL players have would not be accepted by top teams at NFL or EPL level.

And then there is the marking, our superstar center half forwards and full forwards inability to take clean grabs takes away any awe they might have. I understand the pressure backman put on forwards but they do not. There are plenty of sitters that professional footballers drop in our game, if such basic aspects of the game like this was botched in the highest level of football or gridiron it would be almost a sackable offence or one that you would not be allowed to participate on the senior team until you conquer.

I love The Hawthorn Footballl Club more than the game itself now days. My League supporter mates will join me for bigs games with big pro AFL fans at pubs. But that is more for the theater of the fans than the game. The Northern States have there own game and they don't love it as much as we love ours.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but over time what have been some of the bigger (name) recent deals/trades that haven't worked out for new clubs and players... I'm thinking Fevola type deals..that have set back the clubs that took the risk due to players behaviour or inability to maintain form. Capper to the Bears is another.
There are good results such as Ablett, Hall etc.. Lake could be in there as well, Goddard seems to be working..
What about those that went very wrong...has there really been that many that haven't worked ?

Optimistic me thought adam Goodes mentoring might halp bud adjust in such a way to be successful and for nearly the nine years. Guds is seven years older than Buds.

Syddy wont like that he has kept friends at hawthorn even attending guerras wedding, funny that way. Not sure guds will be keen to help buds out

Yes the Sydney media will love making a player of our game look bad. They get off on talking shit about AFL. Most AFL supporters I know are just lovers of sport in general. If someone around them was interested in League they would ask questions and make an effort to understand and enjoy the game. Rugby League supports have a hate for our game. They think it's soft and detest the fact it is called footy or football by some. As far as the league goes, and I am sure there is influential fingures in the NRL who could quite easily sway a News Limited employee to write a anti Australian Rules artical if they share a simular point if view on the code.

But through time with league supporters I have come to see some of the faults in our game. In Rugby League, and all forms of Rugby for that matter, there is a knock on rule. In our game, taught from a very young age, we are told to run flat out and just try and keep the ball out in front of you until possession is obtainable. This not considered a skill by League supporters and is looked at as a soft option and not becoming of the worrier standard of a footballer.

Also we reward missing with giving behinds, I like it as it will always tell a story of a game with just a score line eg 2008 Gand Final GEEL 11.23.89 HAW 18.7.115. But from a League supporters point of view of kicking goals, if you miss the goals...you miss the goals. I believe there is an argument for the skill in ball drops compared to the place kicking of Rugby and Rugby League but the 50-60% acuracy AFL players have would not be accepted by top teams at NFL or EPL level.

And then there is the marking, our superstar center half forwards and full forwards inability to take clean grabs takes away any awe they might have. I understand the pressure backman put on forwards but they do not. There are plenty of sitters that professional footballers drop in our game, if such basic aspects of the game like this was botched in the highest level of football or gridiron it would be almost a sackable offence or one that you would not be allowed to participate on the senior team until you conquer.

I love The Hawthorn Footballl Club more than the game itself now days. My League supporter mates will join me for bigs games with big pro AFL fans at pubs. But that is more for the theater of the fans than the game. The Northern States have there own game and they don't love it as much as we love ours.
Nice essay, shame you couldn't talk about the actual post, being buddy.

You can't compare AFL with Rugby
2 different sports
2 different rules
I'm sure you point this out to your mates right?

Didn't want to start a new thread, but over time what have been some of the bigger (name) recent deals/trades that haven't worked out for new clubs and players... I'm thinking Fevola type deals..that have set back the clubs that took the risk due to players behaviour or inability to maintain form. Capper to the Bears is another.
There are good results such as Ablett, Hall etc.. Lake could be in there as well, Goddard seems to be working..
What about those that went very wrong...has there really been that many that haven't worked ?
Corey McKernan to Carlton.

A lot of money paid to someone who really had lost all touch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I heard and saw I think the Hawks did a mighty job in getting Buddy through 7 years of media attention relatively unscathed. I get the feeling he got a bit of protection from the club, the AFL, and even so of the media.
His move to Sydney will change all that.
The Sydney media will target him and some will go after him...hard. Not many could survive the level of scrutiny and pressure they will put on him.
I hope for his sake he can but I have my doubts.

I hope he gets what he deserves and realises what a stupid mistake he made!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back