List Mgmt. Free agency/trade/draft discussion (READ OP FIRST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see Mal leaving....who's gonna pay the big bucks to get a 30 year old with three knee injuries?

Melbourne? Doggies? They could use some experience. Mal is from vic and if he wins another flag this year theres not too much more he can achive with the swans.

Don't forget we only have 39 senior listed players this year (after Lloyd's upgrade), with the maximum being 40. So we have one more spot than just the space we clear with delist/trade.

Very interested to see how the club handles biggs, Naismith and Robinson .

Naismith and Biggs have been on the rookie list the max amount of years. The club has to upgrade them or move them on. If push comes to shove I think Biggs will get the upgrade, but has Naismith done enough to occupy a spot on the senior list ?

There will be spots available for upgrades. How many of the following stay on the list?

Ryan O'Keefe
Tommy Walsh (26yo, 5 games)
Dean Towers (0 games)
Jordan Lockyer (0 games)
Harrison Marsh (0 games)

Do all of Goodes, LRT, Shaw go around again?

Matthew Dick is actually younger than 2 of our most recent draftees - only 19. Does he get more time?

There will be spots available for upgrades. How many of the following stay on the list?

Ryan O'Keefe
Dean Towers (0 games)
Jordan Lockyer (0 games)
Harrison Marsh (0 games)

Matthew Dick is actually younger than 2 of our most recent draftees - only 19. Does he get more time?

O'keefe gone imo.
Walsh leaning towards an exit.
Goodes should retire, LRT/Shaw I'd say are 70/30 and 60/40 to retire.

That's five more spots free'd up when we already had one spot spare. And that's without looking at Towers/Lockyer/Marsh etc. So I dunno maybe Shaw will go around again or maybe all the young guys will get another year (unlikely).

Gone:
LRT
Walsh
O'Keefe
+ a couple of draftees who have yet to play a game.

I can see Shaw staying on for a final year if he makes it through this one in good form and uninjured with perhaps his time being rotated between the seniors and reserves.

With the ongoing 'hysteria' about the COLA providing Sydney with an unfair advantage or being 'rorted', a regular claim by Sydney supporters is that the list has been built upon trades for fringe player (prior to Tippett and Franklin), astute late(ish) national draft selections , rookie upgrades and that the list contains very few 1st round draft picks . All very credible!

However, since the 2000 draft (14 years), Sydney has had a dreadful return with actual 1st Round selections. 5 of 11 selections gone with a total of 25 games between them, as follows:

2002: pick #5 - Jarrad McVeigh (229 games) = success

2003: pick #16 - Josh Willoughby (0 games) delisted = failure

2006: pick #15 - Daniel O'Keefe (0 games) delisted = failure

2007: pick #11 - Patrick Veszpremi (11 games) traded = failure. Traded for Everitt - now gone.

2008: pick #12 - Lewis Johnston (2 games) traded = failure. Traded for Armstrong - now gone.

2009: pick #6 - Gary Rohan (31 games) = likely to be successful

2009: pick #14 - Lewis Jetta (88 games) = success

2010: pick #21 - Jed Lamb (12 games) delisted (at own request) = failure

2011: pick #21 (father/son) - Tom Mitchell (18 games) = likely to be successful

2012: pick #22 - Dean Towers (0 games) = too early to tell.

2013: pick #15 - Zac Jones (0 games) = too early to tell.

However, when the 1st round selection has been traded I would assess at 100% successful, as follows:

2000: pick #8 - traded for Paul Williams

2001: pick #13 & #17 - traded for Barry Hall

2004: pick #15 - traded for Darren Jolly

2005: pick #19 - traded for Ted Richards

The point of all this is that unless you have a know quantity (such as Tom Mitchell who would have gone higher than pick #21, or Issac Heeney/Josh Dunkley - if they make it!), is that any 1st round pick outside the top 10 has much greater currency as part of a trade for an existing player to meet a positional need (especially key position forward, back and ruck).

Cheers
Justice

Can't see Mal leaving....who's gonna pay the big bucks to get a 30 year old with three knee injuries?

Those injuries aren't too recent, he has premiership experience and he's still one of the best kicks off HB in the comp. I actually think he holds some pretty solid cards when it comes to contract talks. Not sure what that translates to in $ or picks but he'd be no waste of space on any list TBH

Reid isn't going anywhere.

If that trade is legit... I think it'll seriously test our courage. I'd probably take the deal for a top 6 pick but it's mostly based on future cap pressure rather than anything else, if given time he'll be a gun

Reid isn't going anywhere.

Surely we have no need for Cameron at this stage, and I have to say his attitude has been ordinary until the Hawthorn game ... I like the way Reid is developing as a kind of tall, marking all-rounder. Very happy with Reid now, he can continue to develop away from the attention of key defenders.

As for the talk of getting rid of Bird ... good grief ...

Currently our only glaring needs is to develop some KPD's and ruck, which are in the works, X, Aliir, Nankervis Naismith, and perhaps HBF, but Rohan, Biggs and perhaps Dick are coming along there. As long as there is no cap pressure, which with a few retirements this and next year, should ease that, there is no need to trade anyone. Any speculation is just that, and should be put to bed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently our only glaring needs is to develop some KPD's and ruck, which are in the works, X, Aliir, Nankervis Naismith, and perhaps HBF, but Rohan, Biggs and perhaps Dick are coming along there. As long as there is no cap pressure, which with a few retirements this and next year, should ease that, there is no need to trade anyone. Any speculation is just that, and should be put to bed.

A developing power forward wouldn't be a bad idea. Plenty of time to develop them and good insurance for injury.

If that trade is legit... I think it'll seriously test our courage. I'd probably take the deal for a top 6 pick but it's mostly based on future cap pressure rather than anything else, if given time he'll be a gun

A player that has played in premiership, by the end of the year will have played about 90 games and plays key position is worth much more than a top 10 pick.
I think people underestimate just how important Reid was to our success in 2012, as a scrawny kid.
In 3 years both Tippett and Buddy will be 30, we will then need to go looking for KPF to develop to step into their shoes. We already have one.
Reid will be allowed to develop without 3 defenders hanging off him. Horse loves him and Reid does not want to go anywhere.

Abe Davis rookie pick.

Good point. Snagged 2 on the weekend for ressies as I remember

Really happy to hold onto the list as is at the moment.

Thinking ROK, LRT, Shaw, Goodes retired
Maybe a Marsh/Dick/Lockyer delisted or moved on
Heeney, 2nd rounder, upgrade of Biggs, Naismith and Robinson and Davis in Rookie

Good point. Snagged 2 on the weekend for ressies as I remember

Really happy to hold onto the list as is at the moment.

Thinking ROK, LRT, Shaw, Goodes retired
Maybe a Marsh/Dick/Lockyer delisted or moved on
Heeney, 2nd rounder, upgrade of Biggs, Naismith and Robinson and Davis in Rookie
I rekon Lockyear and Marsh will move on, Towers I rekon my get traded. and Dick will get another bash (sorry). ROK, LRT def gone, Goodes and Shaw 50/50. If we win this year I can see them bowing out in style, lose and I see one more year for them.

I think Lockyer and Walsh get ****ed off, ROK and LRT retire, Goodes and Shaw 50/50, Dick and Marsh possibly delisted or relegated to a rookie contract and maybe one of our other guys is traded (Towers? Membrey?)

Leaves room to upgrade the likes of Lloyd, Biggs, Naismith and Robinson. Rookie-list a stopgap defender who can cover in the event AJ doesn't recover/Reid doesn't move down back/XR/Aliir don't develop well enough possibly.

Interesting to look at our 2012 Draftees:

- Dean Towers,
- Harrison Marsh
- Matthew Dick
- Tim Membrey

Total number of games played: 0

We totally bombed out on that draft it would seem. None of these guys above have shown anything to make you think they will make it at the Swans.

Thankfully though, we got Lloyd, BJ & Rampe that year through the rookie draft and a guy by the name of Tippett for free :)

Interesting to look at our 2012 Draftees:

- Dean Towers,
- Harrison Marsh
- Matthew Dick
- Tim Membrey

Total number of games played: 0

We totally bombed out on that draft it would seem. None of these guys above have shown anything to make you think they will make it at the Swans.

Thankfully though, we got Lloyd, BJ & Rampe that year through the rookie draft and a guy by the name of Tippett for free :)

Stretching to call it bombing out, these guys have only been available for one and a half years, and we're drafted after we won the cup ergo a pretty tough team to break into.. besides the swans very rarely play young draftees in their first few years anyways, with some exceptions eg Hannerbery.

Ryan O'Keefe
Dean Towers (0 games)
Jordan Lockyer (0 games)
Harrison Marsh (0 games)

I don't think I've seen Marsh or Dick mentioned in the recent articles about our uncontracted players and the COLA. Maybe we signed them for 3 years.

I've read on here n the draft board that Kells boy is playin with the rams. Does anyone know how he's goin n is he a possible selection in either the ND or RD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back