Free Agents

• Thread starter Fall Out Boy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Kenyon Martin has been sign and traded to Denver for 3 first round picks.

The Nets are officially re-building I think, and I can see a possible Jason Kidd trade coming up.

Originally posted by Carmelo Anthony
Kenyon Martin has been sign and traded to Denver for 3 first round picks.
The Nugs are building themselves a decent team. Looks like they're shopping for a shooting guard. Lenard is getting on and injury prone, but would be a great asset to have coming off the bench.

Memphis fans will be happy to see Battier sign a 6 year extension. All the 5-6 year contracts stagger me though.

Battier receives six-year extension from Grizzlies
July 15, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- The Memphis Grizzlies announced a six-year contract extension Thursday for forward Shane Battier, a favorite with the hometown fans.

"His attributes both on and off the court epitomize what we as an organization value and look for from our players," Grizzlies president Jerry West said in a statement.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Battier, 6-foot-8 and 220 pounds, averaged 8.5 points and 3.8 rebounds in 79 games last season.

He ranked third for the Grizzlies in 3-point percentage (.349) and steals (1.28) while leading the NBA in steals per turnover ratio (1.80).

Battier, a team leader in college at Duke, was picked sixth in the 2001 NBA draft to become the first player drafted by the Grizzlies after their move from Vancouver to Memphis.

"I look forward to being an integral part of this team for years to come, while putting forth as much effort into the team, the organization and the community as I have since first joining the Grizzlies," Battier said.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7499731

Derek Fishers gets $37 mil over 6 years from the Warriors...

I think NVE may be included in a deal for Erick Dampier now. Walker and Laettner for those two? Feasible.

Originally posted by Bresh
Derek Fishers gets $37 mil over 6 years from the Warriors...

I think NVE may be included in a deal for Erick Dampier now. Walker and Laettner for those two? Feasible.
I think you might be right.

Signing of Fisher suggests that NVE is on the way out especially since I read somewhere that Fisher left LA because he wanted to be a starter.

What a crazy off-season..... Nets basically got nothing for an all-star power forward and one of the best defenders in the league... 3 picks...cheapo's....they shouldve let Kidd walk last season.. now they are pathetic...atleast with RJEFF and K-Mart they couldve had some pieces to re-build with.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071604.1D.spurs.1142062b.html
In related news, the Spurs signed former Xavier guard Romain Sato, one of their second-round picks in last month's draft, to a three-year contract for the league minimum. Only part of the first season is guaranteed.
The Spurs obviously liked what they've seen. The "Anti-Booz" deal?

0716barry190.jpg

Scooby-doooooooo where are you???

Sheer insanity
NBA teams paying crazy money for average free agents

By Rick Barry

THE GAME OF basketball is such that one player can make a significant difference for a team. One player can be the missing link necessary to win a championship. A player like Kobe Bryant can turn a team into a championship-caliber squad, provided he's surrounded by teammates who can blend together into a cohesive unit. When that's the case, someone like Kobe is worth whatever a team has to pay in order to sign him.

But can players like Mehmet Okur, Adonal Foyle or Hedo Turkoglu turn mediocre teams into champions? Are these average players really worth more than $8 million a season? The answer to both questions is no. However, the Jazz, Warriors and Magic, respectively, must think otherwise because they're willing to cough up at least that much per season to acquire these Average Joes. That is insane. I remember when you actually had to be a great player to command a big salary.

It's obvious that free agent salaries in the NBA have spiraled out of control. It reminds me of the debacle that existed with rookie salaries prior to instituting a rookie salary cap. Remember when teams were paying $60 million-plus to unproven rookies? The veteran players were getting upset, the teams were taking a financial bath, and the press was crucifying everyone. So what are the teams thinking about now? How in the world can they justify paying so much money to players who were reserves last season?

Maybe I really shouldn't express concern about these exorbitant free agent salaries. I have two sons who are free agents this year and both will more than likely benefit from this insanity. Brent, who was courted by numerous teams, including the Warriors, is scheduled to sign with the San Antonio Spurs for more than $20 million for four seasons. His choice came as no surprise because now he gets to play with one of the best -- Tim Duncan. The two should provide a formidable inside-outside threat, and finally Brent will have the chance to play for a ring.

The amazing part of this deal is that he will receive far less money than the players mentioned above, yet he will bring more to the Spurs in terms of what they need to win another title. Last season, San Antonio was dreadful from 3-point range, and it was no secret that head coach Gregg Popovich wasn't enamored with point guard Tony Parker's decision-making. Brent will bring the drastically needed outside shooting the Spurs lacked. He was second in the league in 3-point accuracy last season and has been over 40 percent from beyond the arc in each of his last five seasons. He's quite capable of leading the break and is an outstanding passer.

Meanwhile, my No. 2 son Jon, a 12-year veteran, is waiting to see where he will end up this season. As a bench player, he's in a different situation than Brent and I figured some team would probably offer him the league minimum for a veteran with his experience. However, as crazy as things have been, I wouldn't be surprised if he's offered more money. And I guarantee you that with his passion, work ethic and deadly shooting, he's a steal at any price.

To further demonstrate the ridiculous situation that exists in free agency this season, the following are some other average players and the salaries they will be receiving: Rafer Alston ($29 million), Marquis Daniels ($38 million), Mark Blount ($41 million), Etan Thomas ($39 million). Has anyone even heard of these guys?

Where this frivolous free agent insanity will end is anyone's guess. There are still unsigned free agents and the bidding frenzy doesn't seem to be waning. One thing is certain: There will be quite a few more multi-millionaires running around as a result of so many NBA teams once again losing touch with reality.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/i.../071404sp_barry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair article by Rick, but Marquis Daniels isn't average. With PT he showed exactly what he's capable of, including 30 point outbursts, triple doubles and 16ppg in the playoffs.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Divac spruns Kings; Likely headed to LA

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Vlade Divac's six-year stay with the Sacramento Kings is apparently over ... and the veteran center told ESPN.com on Sunday night that he's leaning toward a return to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Vlade Divac is leaning toward a return to L.A. to play for the Lakers.
The Lakers brought Divac to the United States from the former Yugoslavia as the No. 26 overall pick in the 1989 draft. They traded him to Charlotte in 1996 for the draft rights to Kobe Bryant in a move also aimed at creating some of the salary-cap space that led to the signing of Shaquille O'Neal. Eight years later, L.A. is courting Divac to team with Bryant and help fill the mammoth void created by last week's trade of O'Neal to Miami.

"It looks like right now I'm definitely leaving Sacramento," Divac said in a phone interview, after a meeting with Kings officials earlier Sunday confirmed to the 36-year-old that his current team won't be increasing its offer of $2.5 million for next season.

"After the season, if you asked me who's the favorite, I would always say the Kings. In my mind I thought I was going to stay here. The town and the fans ... it's been a beautiful six years. I feel sad leaving, but [the Kings] didn't show any kind of interest to keep me here. I was ready to come back to stay here for less, but a little bit [less], not such a big difference."

"If you ask me right now," Divac added, "it's going to be the Lakers."

Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie could not be immediately reached, but team sources said Sacramento had hoped to bring back Divac at a pay cut of nearly $10 million and then sign multiple players with its $4.9 million mid-level exception to fill out its roster.

With the Lakers, Divac can nearly double the $2.5 million offered by the Kings if L.A. presents all or the bulk of its $4.9 million exception. He can likely make even more if he chooses instead to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers, who have the salary-cap room to far exceed the $4.9 million.

It's believed the Lakers have reserved that $4.9 million slot for either Divac or bringing back Karl Malone, who has said he wants to make a decision about next season later in the summer after undergoing knee surgery. Miami or San Antonio are also options for Malone if Divac lands the Lakers' exception.

Phoenix would also love to sign Divac and has chased him before, but Divac said he hopes to make a decision as soon as Monday or Tuesday. The Suns' remaining free-agent funds are tied up through July 29 for having signed Clippers restricted free agent Quentin Richardson to an offer sheet.

Sacramento co-owner Joe Maloof told ESPN.com last week that he feared losing Divac to the Lakers because the Kings, for the second successive summer, are trying to reduce payroll to avoid future luxury-tax payments. The strategy, however, could backfire if there is no luxury tax after next season, as some teams are forecasting.

Maloof insisted that the Kings don't want to part with Divac, a fan favorite who doubles as Sacramento's locker-room glue and as a surrogate brother to star forward Peja Stojakovic. Yet Sacramento is reluctant to offer more than $2.5 million as it tries to gets its payroll as far below $60 million as it can. The Kings carried a payroll of nearly $65 million last season, resulting in nearly $10 million in luxury tax. Divac earned $12.1 million last season in completing a six-year pact worth nearly $63 million.

Divac concedes that rejoining the Lakers now after so many bitter Sacramento-L.A. battles in recent seasons won't be the easiest move. "I know how people here feel about the Lakers," he said.

He quickly adds, though, that playing in Los Angeles for his original team is the most comfortable decision for his family, although Divac said the Clippers remain a consideration.

"I played for the Lakers for seven years and for the Kings for six years," Divac said. "Both teams have a special place in my heart."

Divac averaged 9.9 points, 5.7 rebounds and 5.3 assists in 28.6 minutes per game last season before his playoff minutes were cut in a run-and-gun series with Dallas in the first round. He has flirted with the idea of finishing his career with one season at a top European club in Italy or Spain -- so his kids can experience a bit of full-time European life -- but Divac insists that "I know I can be productive [in the NBA] for one or two more years."

"A friend of mine said it would be kind of nice to finish with the team I started with," Divac said. "If I do go back to the Lakers, it will be because of Dr. [Jerry] Buss. We've always had a great relationship."

Since returning from Europe late last week, Divac said he has been approached by numerous Kings fans pleading with him to stay. As for Stojakovic's reaction, Divac said: "He's sad, but so am I."

The Warriors have accepted the Knicks' sign-and-trade offer of Nazr Mohammed and Othella Harrington, but before agreeing to sign with the Knicks, Dampier, the 7-foot free-agent center, has a meeting with the Hawks' brass today in Atlanta, sources said.

The Knicks want Dampier to visit New York tomorrow before he makes his decision, which could come as soon as today, but Knicks president Isiah Thomas has had phone conversations with Dampier. The Knicks have offered Dampier six years starting at $9 million after Thomas met Saturday night in L.A. with agent Dan Fegan.

The Hawks can sign Dampier outright because they are under the cap and can offer a maximum deal. However, the Knicks can extend a seventh year under sign-and-trade rules.

http://nypost.com/sports/knicks/25353.htm

Divac returning to the Lakers

11:46 PM PDT on Sunday, July 18, 2004

By BRODERICK TURNER / The Press-Enterprise

Again, it came down to the Lakers and Clippers for the services of a player, and once again the Clippers lost to the Lakers.

Vlade Divac has decided to return to the Lakers, the same team that drafted him in 1989 with the 26th pick in the first round, sources said late Sunday night.

Kobe Bryant was also deciding between the Lakers and Clippers and chose Thursday to remain a Laker.

The Clippers had more money to offer, but sources said Divac wanted to be a Laker.

Divac will get the mid-level exception of about $5 million, and Laker team sources said they might be willing to give the 36-year-old free-agent center a two-year deal.

The Clippers, after being shunned by Bryant, still have about $14 million to spend and were able to offer Divac millions more.

Divac, who spent the past six seasons in Sacramento, said the Kings offered him just $2.5 million.

"It's a bad feeling to make a decision that you don't want to make," Divac, who has kept his home in Los Angeles, told the Sacramento Bee on Sunday. "In the last couple of days, I've been coming to grips that I really might have to leave. But (the Kings) are looking at it from the business side, and I have to do that, too."

With Divac able to play center, Brian Grant can move from center to his natural position of power forward, and Lamar Odom can move to his best position of small forward.

The signing of Divac could help the Lakers' chances of getting Karl Malone to return. Malone, who had surgery on his right knee, said he will take most of the summer to make a decision on retiring or playing again.

The San Antonio Spurs have called Malone repeatedly, and the Miami Heat also is interested.

Divac probably will play 20 to 25 minutes per game, giving the Lakers a 7-foot-1 presence in the middle.

He spent his first seven seasons with the Lakers until he was traded in 1996 to Charlotte for the rights to Bryant.

It also opened room for the Lakers to sign a free-agent center by the name of Shaquille O'Neal, who was traded away Wednesday to Miami for Grant, Odom, Caron Butler and a first-round draft pick.

The Lakers are looking for a fifth guard, but because they are over the salary cap, they are having a hard time filling that void.

They like Mike James, a reserve with the NBA champion Pistons, but he wants more money than the Lakers can offer.

All the Lakers can give James is the minimum salary a four-year player gets, which starts at about $745,000.

James made $638,000 last season.

Keyon Dooling, a restricted free-agent guard with the Clippers, has expressed interest in the Lakers, but they aren't looking in his direction.

Sources said the Clippers plan this week to match the six-year, $45 million offer guard Quentin Richardson got from the Phoenix Suns.

Bryon Russell, the former San Bernardino High star who spent last season with the Lakers, said Sunday night that he hopes to catch on with the Heat.

The Lakers also are still talking with Slava Medvedenko about returning.
==============================================

Best of luck to him. A bit ironic that he was drafted by Lakers and is set to finish his career as a Laker, plus he was traded to Charlotte for draft rights to Kobe Bryant. Talk about making a full circle. I sincierly hope he can get a ring. One of my favourite players of all time.

Originally posted by Carmelo Anthony
So the 41 million dollar man will be backing up Nazr...nice one Warriors.

I have a feeling Foyle will be given first dibs on a starting position. I reckon Nazr is more of a four in the West too, which means he may get his chance if Murphy's feet don't hold up.

There has been some weird rumours going around... like that Maccabi Tel Aviv will sign Juan Dixon, Chris Duhon having a contract in europe possibly with Panionios if he doesnt make the Bulls team.

Shaq is also trying to talk Robert Horry into coming to Miami.

Originally posted by Petrie Dish
I have a feeling Foyle will be given first dibs on a starting position. I reckon Nazr is more of a four in the West too, which means he may get his chance if Murphy's feet don't hold up.

No Chance of knick trade now that we dumped NVE for DD * 2.

We have really put damp in the hurt locker.. He can take his MLE and buy some cheetos :)

Seriously though, I admit I never liked him or any Utah players, but hes a decent signing, Brad Miller and C-Webb are going to get atleast 35-40 mins a game, Ostertag can atleast bruise some bigmen and get some boards and play physical D for 15-20 mins a night, they couldve done much worst thats for sure.

And in others news Vlade Divac becomes starting center for the LA Lakers

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agents

Remove this Banner Ad

Back