Free Kick differential over the last 15 years

Remove this Banner Ad

I cannot. Some games 50 free kicks are paid, others closer to 20. I haven't analysed the data set in excruciating detail because yeah, nah.

The AFL review umpiring performances game by game. What I'd like to know is are the reviews of say WC games vs Sydney games over the period 2003-2018 comparable? If data existed said Sydney had 300 frees missed and 300 frees incorrectly paid against them compared to WC 0 and 0 then I'd be interested. If it said that both WC and Sydney games were umpired fairly and the number of frees missed, incorrectly paid frees etc. were comparable then what are we here discussing? But I don't know if that data exists or if it does what it says.

Does it need one? Richmond for example are consistently high for free kicks given away. They've been an OK team, a rubbish team and a top team and they are still regularly leading the FA count. Is that noteworthy or just how it is?

Sorry, but it is a shit point. You can argue 'almost certainly' all day long but it's a hypothetical and Richmond aren't going to play WC at Adelaide Oval or some other neutral venue anyway. If the umpires weren't a factor in the WC vs Richmond game then what does it matter what the free kick count was? I've watched games and barely noticed the umpires and the tally has ended up 30-10, then others involving my team where I've wanted to throw something through the TV and it ends up 15-15.

If someone wants to go to the effort of highlighting every free kick Richmond could or should have got in the second half vs WC then the floor is theirs, but I remember watching the game that throw after throw after throw was not paid throughout the game affecting both sides. So it would be rich to focus on a missed frees when there were inevitably missed frees both ways.

A occurs, B occurs therefore B is because of A.

E.g. West Coast crowds are loud (they really aren't), West Coast win the free kick differential, therefore the the loud crowds cause the positive free kick differential.
Thanks for giving Cause v correlation without sharks and ice creams, as funny as it was.

I'm not concerned about who/what leads/doesn't lead the FK count. As I just posted, it could be Manangatang.

I realise that as supporters of the WC, it seems like people are picking.

I am genuinely interested as to how one club can be so far off the graph (which you didn't address). I think stacked crowd has SOME effect. But obviously other teams like Adelaide and Geelong have the same crowd style, so it's not everything. So what is it?

I genuinely don't know, and I would love to. There is something else thats not crowds or 'really good ruckmen'.

And as I said in the post you originally replied to, I genuinely have no issue with umpiring over all, or the fact you/Geel/Adel/Manangatang have great, loud crowds. If we're better, we'll win.

I also said I love how you play, and I mean it. Greta to watch. Good luck.

Why do West Coast supporters feel so threatened by opposition supporters saying they get a good ride at home? You make a lot of noise, umpires fall for it and you win a lot, so be happy. Cop the hysteria, move on and lose at the MCG as per usual.
I suppose its because:
(1) some disagree with that statement;
(2) some one eyed posters will just rebut anything that goes against the team they support; and/or
(3) some (e.g me) are concerned that sustained noise/media coverage on this issue might lead to the advantage we enjoy being eroded by 'pointers' being given to the umps by the AFL (similar to what some Richmond supporters have been complaining about this season).

You don't just lead the count, you lead it by the length of the Flemington straight, almost twice as much as the team in 2nd place.

You're also not the only team that's had good rucks or forwards over the past 15 years, your supporters are good booers though I'll give you that.

Elite booers also superb and best practice Tourette’s style yelling of “Ballllll”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Why do West Coast supporters feel so threatened by opposition supporters saying they get a good ride at home? You make a lot of noise, umpires fall for it and you win a lot, so be happy. Cop the hysteria, move on and lose at the MCG as per usual.

because:

1. If you've ever actually been to an eagles game you'd know that a good portion of the base is quite old and the noise isn't actually that large compared to clubs like Collingwood
2. Us and freo travel the most of any teams in the AFL. on top of this we only get a very small portion of those games at the MCG. The fact that we make some noise at home and maybe possibly get a few kicks out of it (yet to be proven) is perhaps the smallest advantage ever, and yet it has completely dominated the AFL media in recent weeks.

any chance i can read an article about how the eagles are going this year or why they are doing so well that isnt "reeeeeeeee umpires"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just basic logic. You know what an outlier is?
An outlier that large over that massive period of time, which extends over multiple coaches, teams and game styles is very odd.

Who ever said the gap had to be the same? What are you on about? Over a time period that large there shouldnt be massive outliers.
Bradman averaged 99

Everyone else 50 ish

So it happens

can anyone here explain how we won a wooden spoon with a differential of 77?

And find me a media article bitching about west coast frees that year

Fact is west coast is winning ....people gotta find a reason ...couldn’t be due to good play could it

Show me a game this year west coast would have lost if umpiring had been different .....name it people

If you name saints game I’ll choke on my nachos ....

can anyone here explain how we won a wooden spoon with a differential of 77?
Tanking? Bounced back to top 4 the following year right?
so what was going on when we had record low crowds during 2010 since we were bottom of the table and still managed to have a differential of 77?
I guess the booers still showed up :D

No it doesn't, as it would be at all venues in any state, and it's not.
That's because they get ripped off away like they get the decisions at home. E.g. see game vs Hawthorn lost free kick count even though with neutral umpiring win it by +10-15

Tanking? Bounced back to top 4 the following year right?

I guess the booers still showed up :D

I know it's off topic, but the tanking thing shits me to tears. Finishing last didn't even get us a top 3 pick that year.

Richmond finished 13th in 2016 but I don't see anyone claiming tanking or throwing in the towel when they won the flag last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Kick differential over the last 15 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back