Free Kick differential over the last 15 years

Remove this Banner Ad

It would explain their angst about the grand final being played at the MCG.

What are your thoughts on why this differential is so large compared to other clubs?

These stupid shitfights go nowhere and you seem level headed when it comes to statistical analysis of AFL.

What are your thoughts on why this differential is so large compared to other clubs?

These stupid shitfights go nowhere and you seem level headed when it comes to statistical analysis of AFL.

Honestly don't know. The advantage is almost exclusively confined to West Coast home games, so it's not down to playing style. Maybe someone should ask the umpires.

WA team leading?? That's not the issue. Nice deflection. The issue, is that in any one single season, You've NEVER had a negative differential, and only once in single figures.

As others have pointed out, to be that far ahead of second best is an outlier.

It's got nothing to do with personnel, as the turnover in that time is huge.

And don't give me wide open spaces. The G has wide open spaces.

Find the real reason.

Are you inferring that there is a conspiracy by the umpires and/or the AFL to award more free kicks to the Eagles, then, especially at home?

Or maybe they are too malleable and more influenced by the noise of affirmation if the supporters are wearing blue and gold?

Which is it?

Honestly don't know. The advantage is almost exclusively confined to West Coast home games, so it's not down to playing style. Maybe someone should ask the umpires.

As someone posted before, we even have a positive free kick differential away, but it's not as pronounced as at home.

I don't particularly think the free kick differential leads to a conclusive measurement of bias from the umpires. But there's no doubt there are single year figures on there that are ridiculous outliers.

So just for the record, who's fault is it, players, crowd or umpires?
Its entirely psychological on the part of the umpires. West coast have the most hostile home crowd to visit, due to them being extremely vocal and at a stadium that they fill consistently. those are all great things that wc fans should be proud of. however it has an unconcious psychological effect on the umpires, who are more likely to pay or not pay free kicks depending on the crowd noise.

this is a known phenomena, and not even limited to footy. for instance, studies have shown that you find things funnier if other people are laughing. thats why a lot of shows use canned laughter.

Agree it's a factor.. There is good evidence that the stronger the home ground advantage is, the more 'influenced' the umpires are likely to be. It's not the only factor......

That's easy, the umps are only human and hate the way Freo plays. Karma for trying to ruin football as a spectacle. It could be as simple as the volume of the noise is louder because of the nature of the stands and how crowd noise projects to the centre of the ground. Perhaps it's something whacky like WC has had a lot of Blondes. Interesting to investigate further.
Could well be the colour thing, who the duck wears purple anyway, apart from the dockers I can only think of maybe Dorothy the dinosaur...

I just don't get where some posters are taking this. Many of the complaints in this thread amount to:

"WC's free kick differential is not due to playing style, individual players or home crowd noise. However, it is also not a corrupt AFL/umpire conspiracy. The differential is a huge outlier and should be more widely mentioned and critiqued. But it's not a conspiracy. We are just asking questions, this should be looked at and the AFL needs to provide answers. Not a conspiracy."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, pretty damning.

Instead of shit fights, let's work out why - what do people think is the reason?

Do people think:
A) We pay them off
B) The AFL instructs umpires to favour us
C) All umpires are West Coast fans
D) Our crowd has some mysterious effect on umpires that doesn't occur at Adelaide Oval, MCG or Etihad etc.
E) We cheat the rules
F) Our gameplan / players over the years are taught differently

Its entirely psychological on the part of the umpires. West coast have the most hostile home crowd to visit, due to them being extremely vocal and at a stadium that they fill consistently. those are all great things that wc fans should be proud of. however it has an unconcious psychological effect on the umpires, who are more likely to pay or not pay free kicks depending on the crowd noise.

this is a known phenomena, and not even limited to footy. for instance, studies have shown that you find things funnier if other people are laughing. thats why a lot of shows use canned laughter.

A common stereotype of our fans is that of knitting and sipping chardonnay. A study done a few years ago actually rated the Dockers crowd in the same space (Subiaco Oval) as being louder for longer periods. The difference in attendances between us and Freo are relatively small.

I am not sure this argument is convincing.

Wow, pretty damning.

Instead of shit fights, let's work out why - what do people think is the reason?

Do people think:
A) We pay them off
B) The AFL instructs umpires to favour us
C) All umpires are West Coast fans
D) Our crowd has some mysterious effect on umpires that doesn't occur at Adelaide Oval, MCG or Etihad etc.
E) We cheat the rules
F) Our gameplan / players over the years are taught differently
D.

Why dont we get the reverse at adelaide?

I don't think there is a reason for it in its entirety other than to say over that period we have had Cox (Wackywavinginflatablearmflailingtubeman), Shuey, ASelwood, SSelwood & Hams for a good chunk of it.

But I will say being a regular attendee of games at home over that period that I find umpires seem to come with this idea that they aren't going to give us a free unless its really there and look to pay something for the opposition straight away like say I don't know a stupid deliberate decision that then gets crowd going so that anything that remotely resembles something similar form the opposition is met with a roar from the crowd and then they feel that they have paid it that way so they have to pay it again...and again...and again...Mr Troy Pannell. That is the most obvious example because he actually tried to maintain that ridiculous decision throughout the match because he paid that stupid one to start with. But there have been other games with HTB and holding the man that has lead to an over reaction then an under reaction and then an over reaction again.

Not sure why it doesn't happen to other teams but again I haven't watched many Fremantle / Adelaide games where the umpires get involved early with an over the top decision that then gets the crowd going overtime that same occurrence happens to their team but if you can find examples of it you will find a similar result I believe.

I just did a search of main board threads with 'West Coast umpire' as the key words in the title.

As Paul Roos would say, here it is: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/sear...ly]=1&c[node]=5+330+58+305+130+245+352+344+11

Two whinge threads from 2015 along the lines of this one, one from 2012, one from 2007... surprisingly very little from 2008-2010 and 2013-14. For those playing at home we won 15 games in 2007, 15 in 2012, 16 in 2015.

'West Coast free kick' yields: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/sear...ly]=1&c[node]=5+330+58+305+130+245+352+344+11

3 whinge threads; one from 2006, one from 2012 and a game-specific one from 2008.

I love these threads, it means we're traveling well.

It is amazing to see 17 clubs within a relatively small range and then one club as a massive outlier.

After reading the thread I agree that there isn't one isolated factor which seems to be the clear reason, it is more likely a combination of factors.

Crowd influence on the umps (loud, one sided in Perth) + a side which performs much better at home (first to the ball leads to more frees) + having a number of players who were known to draw frees (Cox, Selwoods, Hams, Shuey) = large discrepancy??

Well im a qualified sound engineer - why dont you start with me.

Please explain to me why your club - the supposed biggest afl club going - cant drown out an interstate teams crowd at etihad which is strikingly similar in design to perth stadium - albeit with a roof which will serve to contain and magnify the effect of cheers/ boos etc.

Ill wait
Umm 60k in a Stadium that had 60k seats is going to be loader than 60k in a stadium with 100k seats. Not very hard to understand.

Huh Ethihad? Not our home ground, mate. Most supporters dont bother going to Ethihad games.

Umm 60k in a Stadium that had 60k seats is going to be loader than 60k in a stadium with 100k seats. Not very hard to understand.

Huh Ethihad? Not our home ground, mate. Most supporters dont bother going to Ethihad games.
Well as i was clearly talking about etihad ....

Mentioning etihad etc

We play you there - if your supporters (of the biggest club in the land) cbf rocking up and supporting - you lose any advantage you might gain from it

Not our problem that your lit cant figure out how to catch a tram 5 min down the road

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Kick differential over the last 15 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back