Fremantle 0 , Collingwood 14 games at the MCG in 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo fans have every right to feel annoyed.

Regardless of how a team performed the year before, every team starts with a chance to wint the cup. The fact they have NO games at the MCG, (where the majority of Melb teams play their home finals) is ludicrously unfair. We know its unlikely, but Andy has effectively said, 'who cares, you guys wont make finals anyway.'

Very poor form AFL. :thumbsdown: I hope the Dockers make the finals as the press will latch onto this and the AFL will have serious egg on their faces.

As for the Pies fans, yes it sells papers to whine about you, BUT to say you haven't got a favourable draw is pure denial. Hawthorn have a great draw, happy to admit it, but having your FINAL SEVEN GAMES at the G is a monstrous advantage and a dream preperation for the finals. (Should they make it)

What if Freo make the finals (i know very unlikely) and we play an elimination final at the G (again very unlikely) how is that fair on our new players adjusting to the ground atmosphere etc and blah blah?
I KNOW IT IS VERY UNLIKELY.... And I know an elite football player should be able to play anywhere, however we all knw there are limits to that.

But how is that any different to a team that didn't play in Brisbane or Sydney during the year and then playing a final there?

It is home ground advantage for a reason, the right that a team has qualified for. If it is a real issue freo should consider selling a home game to the mcg to make sure they get a game there. Yes the grand final is there but we are talking about freo here!!!

It is a dissapointment that Freo fans in Melbourne don't get to go the G

However, the bigger dissapointment is the continued disadvantage to interstate teams, especially Fremantle and WC who have to travel every second week across the country. I never understand why in past years it has been Freo or WC who have had to play in Launceston and not two Melbourne clubs.

Does anyone have the difference in kilometres travelled between Freo, WCE and say a Collingwood?

I don't think numbers go that high...

I've got no major problems with playing in Tassie as long as we can get a direct flight there. But it's bullshit if we have to wait hours at the Melbourne airport for a changeover flight like we had to a few years ago. We travel enough without having to put up with extra inconveniences like that.

If there's no direct flights the AFL should use some of their clout with Quantas to organise one.

However, the bigger dissapointment is the continued disadvantage to interstate teams, especially Fremantle and WC who have to travel every second week across the country. I never understand why in past years it has been Freo or WC who have had to play in Launceston and not two Melbourne clubs.

That is a pissweak argument, would you prefer you played WCE every 3rd week??? What do you propose??? 11 rounds in Melb then 11 in Perth?!??

Yes you have to travel to play away games, but your home games are therefore much more valuable than a Melbourne team. It balances up mate.

You cant complain about having no games at the G and then complain about travel.

It is a dissapointment that Freo fans in Melbourne don't get to go the G

Does anyone have the difference in kilometres travelled between Freo, WCE and say a Collingwood?

Crowd numbers, same with Brisbane playing Hawthorn in Launceston almost every year as a Victorian side.

Not exactly fair, but the fixture never is.

But how is that any different to a team that didn't play in Brisbane or Sydney during the year and then playing a final there?

Because up to 10 teams can host a final at the MCG. The chances of getting a final at the MCG are miles higher than getting one in Sydney or Brisbane. Not to mention the big one.

God there are some stupid arguments in this thread.

Are you dim?

Because up to 10 teams can host a final at the MCG. The chances of getting a final at the MCG are miles higher than getting one in Sydney or Brisbane. Not to mention the big one.

You don't realize that the MCC has a contract with the AFL for 14 Collingwood games at the MCG don't you? If that didn't exist, both PF's would be at the MCG regardless of who is playing you twit.

Are you dim?

Because up to 9 teams will host a final at the MCG. The chances of getting a final at the MCG are miles higher than getting one in Sydney or Brisbane. Not to mention the big one.

It isn't there home ground! You have no right to expect any games there under any circumstances. Why should a Victorian team take a hit just to make things a little easier for freo? Why should the AFL fixture a game at the MCG with 17000 people there when it looks shit on tv whereas at eithad it won't look as bad. It is the commercial reality of the AFL. The MCG is a ground. The finals arguement is crap. There is a huge difference between an mcg with 17000 in it during the home and away and 70+ for a final or 100+ on the big day. So climatising during the season is not going to be too handy. Find a ground in Perth around the same size and train on it to get use to the dimensions. Maybe before they get too concerned about making not playing on the g before finals, maybe they should make some.

Also calling someone dim because they don't agree with you is a real good way to have a discussion. Take a break, have a kit Kat and relax

Are you dim?

Tee-hee.

Would't be so smart sunshine.

Hawthorn = who gives a rats = come to Subi = Hawthorn = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

You don't realize that the MCC has a contract with the AFL for 14 Collingwood games at the MCG don't you? If that didn't exist, both PF's would be at the MCG regardless of who is playing you twit.

What the hell has that got to do with what I said???

I was highlighting why it is a disadvantage for Freo to have zero experience on the MCG.

I couldnt give a crap if Collingwood have 14 games there. You completely missed my point champ.

It isn't there home ground! You have no right to expect any games there under any circumstances. Why should a Victorian team take a hit just to make things a little easier for freo?

I agree its not their home ground, its not about a Victorian team 'taking a hit', its about a fair competition.

Why should the AFL fixture a game at the MCG with 17000 people there when it looks shit on tv whereas at eithad it won't look as bad.

17,000 isnt their fault.

The finals arguement is crap. There is a huge difference between an mcg with 17000 in it during the home and away and 70+ for a final or 100+ on the big day. So climatising during the season is not going to be too handy. Find a ground in Perth around the same size and train on it to get use to the dimensions.

All I am saying is that all clubs will play at least 1 final at the MCG if they want to win, most likely more. Are you saying that rather than the AFL schedule one or two of Freo's Melbourne games at the G, Fremantle should uproot and train on a ground in its image to be on the same playing field as the rest come September? Come on mate.

Maybe before they get too concerned about making not playing on the g before finals, maybe they should make some.

Thats not an argument either, but sadly I think that's the thinking at AFL House. Our game is one of the fairest systems in the world, but the fixturing department is a joke.

Also calling someone dim because they don't agree with you is a real good way to have a discussion. Take a break, have a kit Kat and relax

You didnt disagree with me, you just put forward a really daft comparison. Apologies for the dim call, but it was a stupid post. Also, you stuffed up your sarcasm.

In an ideal world everyone would play each ground atleast once. But for this to happen every team would have to play twice and every team would have to have all home games at the same staduim. So no more extra income for hawks, dogs, Sydney and Carlton last year. The comercial reality is that this isn't viable. Pysically the players can't play 30 games a year plus finals(no matter how much we would enjoy), the current system sucks I agree. But the AFL & Victorian clubs & the mcc don't owe freo a game at the g, unless treo become a co-tennent(won't happen obviously). I am not saying the crowd figures are entirely freos fault, but the afl and the clubs must limit the damage financial as much as possible. If that's eithad or in geelongs case skilled, hawthorn tassie and so on, then so be it. That's the reality of the comercial world the AFL is in. Does it suck sometimes? Yes. But without would the league be what it is? No.

Anyway I am of to bed. Have the pleasure of working all weekend.

Hmm I wonder why the thread isn't titled "Freo 0 - Melbourne 14 games at G".

The yearly Collingwood bashing re the fixturing is getting a bit old, no? Particularly when we have one of the toughest draws in 2010.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the funny thing is that Malthouse is whinging about the draw because he has to play top 3 sides twice.

Try being an interstate team.

What is even funnier is that despite the obvious advantages they still can't win a flag. ;)

That is because Mick Malthouse was coach.

Nothing against the Pies getting 14 there, however whilst the G is the home of the GF - every team deserves some exposure there.

We are no shot this year but still we have players who deserve to play at the ground at least once.

Poor form.

The AFL is a business, and does not run on sentiment.

Was that your view when you were at the bottom of the ladder and sucking hundreds of thousands out of the league?

Oh no that is when it was more than a game.

Nobody gives a stuff about Fremantle in Melbourne, rightly or wrongly,and they do care about Port and WCE - they have had success in the last 15 years and people get more joy out of watching their team play them. If you were to improve on field all of this would change, but the fact is that, unlike Freo, it does not matter about how port or wce are playing on field - people in melb will still come to watch their games.

So WC got how many games?

You're actually defending him? Despite the fact that he's obviously a reverse troll?

Remember when reverse trolls were actually remotely amusing.

No interstate supporter should ever whinge about Collingwoods 14 MCG home games, that deal was signed to allow them home finals when they earn them

But perhaps the op should have looked more at Hawthorn, they sell 4 home games yet still manage 12 at the MCG

:confused:

Non-Victorian supporters should be greatful to Collingwood that the AFL fixed up their monumental error of committing an excessive number of games to the MCG, thereby infringing on their right to play finals at their home ground? Get over yourself. Collingwood only agreed to the deal because it benefits them. The AFL should never have put the competition or the non-Victorian clubs in that position in the first place.

And the funny thing is that Malthouse is whinging about the draw because he has to play top 3 sides twice.

Try being an interstate team.

What is even funnier is that despite the obvious advantages they still can't win a flag. ;)

You mean playing 11 games at a ground where you have a massive home advantage over everyone? Whereas of our 9 "home" games at the G [2 "home" games at the Dome], one is against an interstate side. The rest are against sides where our home ground advantage means nothing.

Try being an interstate team? I'd kill to have our own home ground, where we have a clear advantage. And given our travel record, I certainly wouldn't be complaining about more travel. More like try being a Victorian side where there is no such thing as a home ground. :thumbsu:

But by all means, keep trying to make our draw seem "easy". Playing 6 of the top 8 [excluding us] twice, and we only play 1 of the bottom 7 twice. Yes, we play 7 in a row at the G [where we have no home advantage except for one match], but we also travel 4 times in 8 weeks. It balances out.

Great to see Demetriou , Anderson and co and doing a nice job in keeping the fixtures balanced .

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

North seem to have been done financially re home fixtures

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Why the hell would fremantle want to play at the MCG you idiot, god knows they can only win at subiaco. God dammit i have to stop going on this stupid forum, full of stupid little kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle 0 , Collingwood 14 games at the MCG in 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back