Club Focus Fremantle 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Last edited:

List looks good. Banfield will surely sign or is he asking for too much coin?

Not asking for too much coin. Family is loaded from all reports, I don't think money is a big driver for him.

His Family has also donated to or sponsored Fremantle a few times. Very unlikely to leave.

Sturt is the bigger worry, but has a WA girlfriend so should be safe.

Last edited:

FREMANTLE

Current Draft Hand: 10, 13, 16, 25, 61

Hopefully Port and Collingwood drop a few more games.
Freo dont actually have a ton of players on the delist pile either. Id find it hard to see how they use 5 picks and so would be logical for them to simply malke that 3 and go with minimal list cuts and improve 2025s draft hand

Corbett, Taberner only certainties to leave really. Think maybe Knobel goes to rookie list and Reidy leaves. O'Driscoll could bolt for more opportunities elsewhere or they could dump Brodie and rookie list him as a option but its easy to see Dockers going into the draft with only 3 list spots available

Freo dont actually have a ton of players on the delist pile either. Id find it hard to see how they use 5 picks and so would be logical for them to simply malke that 3 and go with minimal list cuts and improve 2025s draft hand

Corbett, Taberner only certainties to leave really. Think maybe Knobel goes to rookie list and Reidy leaves. O'Driscoll could bolt for more opportunities elsewhere or they could dump Brodie and rookie list him as a option but its easy to see Dockers going into the draft with only 3 list spots available
Add Hughes to the list.

Brodie may get traded. Talk is he is looking elsewhere.

Can't see us taking less than 4 picks.

Yeah Hughes would be logical 3rd.

No one will want Brodie I’d suggest so likely just stuck with that for 1 more year.

Brodie will likely win the Sandover Medal this year, just can’t crack the very strong Freo midfield that has fortunately been very settled this season.
Any team looking for a big bodied extractor (Saints spring to mind) would be stupid not to have a look, likely the best mature ager for this role in all lower leagues.
I’m sure he’d have his suitors if he requests a trade, otherwise is very handy depth for the last year and a bit of his contract.
Likely wouldn’t achieve a huge trade haul though, possibly third rounder or swap of future second for future third type of territory.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Brodie will likely win the Sandover Medal this year, just can’t crack the very strong Freo midfield that has fortunately been very settled this season.
Any team looking for a big bodied extractor (Saints spring to mind) would be stupid not to have a look, likely the best mature ager for this role in all lower leagues.
I’m sure he’d have his suitors if he requests a trade, otherwise is very handy depth for the last year and a bit of his contract.
Likely wouldn’t achieve a huge trade haul though, possibly third rounder or swap of future second for future third type of territory.

Brodie is signed through 2026. Signed a 3 year extension in March 2023.

I think you're actually optimistic on what a Brodie type is worth. The benefit of trading him would to free 300 or 400k in salary and he'd cost a team nothing.

Plus, that type is just so easy to come across for what you need them for (mature depth) that I can't see anyone really wanting to use the capspace on him.

I think you're actually optimistic on what a Brodie type is worth. The benefit of trading him would to free 300 or 400k in salary and he'd cost a team nothing.

Plus, that type is just so easy to come across for what you need them for (mature depth) that I can't see anyone really wanting to use the capspace on him.

Yeah might be a touch optimistic, but I do think he’d get some interest- probably not enough trade currency to turn our head, but could be part of a larger deal.
If we’re bringing in Warner (fingers crossed) would just push him further down the pack.

Yeah might be a touch optimistic, but I do think he’d get some interest- probably not enough trade currency to turn our head, but could be part of a larger deal.
If we’re bringing in Warner (fingers crossed) would just push him further down the pack.

With 4 very decent draft picks available this year and Erasmus needing development opportunities, we would contribute to his salary just to make the list spot available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 4 very decent draft picks available this year and Erasmus needing development opportunities, we would contribute to his salary just to make the list spot available.

Yeah spot on, no matter what we do with our plethera of picks this year Brodie will be pushed down the pecking order (unless we trade them all into the future).
Maybe best for all concerned to let him go free to a good home.
Handy depth to give up for nothing but list spots are at a premium !

Nobody is paying anything of value to take Brodie. He's contracted until 2026 and players like him are a dime a dozen.

The Dockers extended him after 2022, when he'd played 24 games, averaging 26.4 disposals, 5.7 clearances, and 5.3 tackles. While he wouldn't be a top earner, he'd still be on a decent bit of coin. You'll need to pay somebody to take that contract off your hands.

Freo got - Will Brodie, Pick 19, Pick 61, Pick 69
Gold Coast got - Future 2nd, Future 4th.

The Suns did that trade with you for a reason, they needed cap space and realised he was an overpaid, one paced, one dimensional extractor who was eating cap space. The same realisation Freo are making now.

If the Dockers have the cap space to hold him, they might as well hold him, he's still only 25 years old and injuries happen.

Yeah Hughes would be logical 3rd.

No one will want Brodie I’d suggest so likely just stuck with that for 1 more year.
Brodie's being dominating at WAFL level. I think he'll win the Sandover Medal. I think there would be enough interest to get him a trade to a team like North for a late. Maybe their 4th rounder.

We have 36 players on our senior list including Corbett. We then have 7 players on our rookies including our two SSP signings Voss and Sharp. I think we'll promote Sharp. Delist Keuk, Jones (who only signed on 1 year) trade or delist Reidy. Delist Hughes, Tabs, Corbett from main list. Trade Brodie. Leaving us with 5 vacancies on our main list.

Could you guys see Freo agreeing to trade ~10 and ~16 to North for 2/3?

Yes I could

Freo would be able to target a big bodied mid with that to replace Fyfe. Then use there other first round pick to give to a club for a future first who wants in this year instead of next. Freo would use that pick and their next years first to satisfy Swans with Warner.

Nobody is paying anything of value to take Brodie. He's contracted until 2026 and players like him are a dime a dozen.

The Dockers extended him after 2022, when he'd played 24 games, averaging 26.4 disposals, 5.7 clearances, and 5.3 tackles. While he wouldn't be a top earner, he'd still be on a decent bit of coin. You'll need to pay somebody to take that contract off your hands.

Freo got - Will Brodie, Pick 19, Pick 61, Pick 69
Gold Coast got - Future 2nd, Future 4th.

The Suns did that trade with you for a reason, they needed cap space and realised he was an overpaid, one paced, one dimensional extractor who was eating cap space. The same realisation Freo are making now.

If the Dockers have the cap space to hold him, they might as well hold him, he's still only 25 years old and injuries happen.
I'm not gonna pretend to know the cap situation, but I highly doubt he's on "need to give a pick to get rid of him" level of albatross contract.
  • Despite the hype he got from fans and across the competition and the stats he put up, he didn't finish top 10 in the Doig Medal despite playing every game. That was mainly down to a late season drop off, but bottom line is coaches didn't rate Brodie as high as the outside noise did.
  • He was immediately positioned as the 4th midfielder when Jaeger came. Also worth noting the fact we even traded for Jaeger in the first place, let alone that we positioned him as a main inside mid.
  • After being positioned as the 4th mid, he signs a fairly long contract. To me, that's a "security over per year pay" move.
If we trade Brodie we won't receive anything of significance back: the main "asset" is freeing up a list spot and a bit of cap space. But the idea that he's on a mad enough contract that we have to give a pick like Gold Coast did flies in the face of Freo's conduct that has shown they don't really rate him.

However, I do see Brodie in a bit of the same way as a journeyman ruckman. He ain't the permanent answer but he's a quick fix for teams which lack ball winners, and every year there are teams which lack ball winners. Also helps that apart from Bailey Smith, there's a dearth of inside mids on the market. Can easily see a team pitching to Brodie "we might not give you a guaranteed spot, but we'll give you a real shot and it's better than what you've got at Freo".

Yes I could

Freo would be able to target a big bodied mid with that to replace Fyfe. Then use there other first round pick to give to a club for a future first who wants in this year instead of next. Freo would use that pick and their next years first to satisfy Swans with Warner.
I agree. Plus we still need a mid who can burst away from stoppages at pace. I'd love Sid Draper or Finn O'Sullivan. I'd keep the other first though and use it on a small forward. Eg Berry. We could then possibly trade the Saints second rounder and a future second rounder for a future first like the Port trade last year.

Club Focus Fremantle 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back