Club Focus Fremantle 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Last edited:
I can randomly see Melbourne going after Will Brodie.

We have zero midfield depth and right now I'd take an empty plastic bottle in our best 22 over Tom Sparrow who's milked himself close to 100 of the most useless games you'll see.

We have zero midfield depth and right now I'd take an empty plastic bottle in our best 22 over Tom Sparrow who's milked himself close to 100 of the most useless games you'll see.

IMO he's worth a third rounder

Would you think that is fair?

Could you guys see Freo agreeing to trade ~10 and ~16 to North for 2/3?
I hope not.

I want us to use at least 2 of the firsts this year and trade the other for a player (10) or for a first round next year.

Our picks are well placed to address list needs where they are. But the Pies' one looks like being even earlier than pick10.

With the depth and evenness of the 2024 draft, I think Freo should hold all their picks and pick the best available talent. They could set themselves up for the next decade.
Yes it's a very interesting time for Freo. Our top end draft picks have been getting better and better every year and the gems we've found lower down and in the rookie draft is a huge part of our surge. I'd say we could always use a little bit more class in the forward 50. But trading in real quality comes at a cost to the draft. If we get it right before Tassie suck the guts out of the draft, we could be there or thereabouts for a while yet.

With the depth and evenness of the 2024 draft, I think Freo should hold all their picks and pick the best available talent. They could set themselves up for the next decade.

Agreed

They probably won't get a contracted Warner this year and if he wants to head home the following year then Sydney will have to be satisfied with the first rounders available then.

If we take Baker, I want the other two firsts drafted.
If not, trade one into next year.
Then we see what we can do for Chad next year

Nah

Just use the draft picks this year on the draft. Next year we can use two drafts in a row. Warner will be uncontracted so give Sydney best of what we have and no more.

Warner may sign on between then and next years draft and we would have wasted our draft picks for this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely if Freo finish top 4 they take the picks to the draft? Salary cap will already be stretched with Young, Cox, Serong, Jackson, Ryan, Amiss and Darcy all signed to long term deals with Brayshaw and Treacy still to come.

Take the three 1st rounders to the draft knowing they are locked in for 3 years at minimum salary to keep this rolling for as long as possible?

Especially with Tassie coming in shortly, bringing in Baker on big coin seems foolish. Take the best small forward available, build the midfield depth and keep on trucking.

Surely if Freo finish top 4 they take the picks to the draft? Salary cap will already be stretched with Young, Cox, Serong, Jackson, Ryan, Amiss and Darcy all signed to long term deals with Brayshaw and Treacy still to come.

Take the three 1st rounders to the draft knowing they are locked in for 3 years at minimum salary to keep this rolling for as long as possible?

Especially with Tassie coming in shortly, bringing in Baker on big coin seems foolish. Take the best small forward available, build the midfield depth and keep on trucking.
Every source that has spoken on Freo's salary cap has said we've got a bunch of cap room, and we've certainly acted like a team with a bunch of cap room. Adelaide and Hawks might be the only teams I've seen reliably linked to more players. We had hilarious a crack at Gulden and a more realistic one at McDonald, obviously going for Baker this year, Bolton discussions came up, into Warner for next year you'd think, put forward our interest in Isaac Cumming (though we're probably getting lapped by GWS/the Adelaide teams in that one). That's just counting the players who we've been linked to that you'd think would demand significant salary.

It's been disappointing watching Brodie whiling away in the reserves.
2022 when freo were first being spoken about, Brodie and Blake Acres were the reason.
Acres left at the end of the year and Will has been getting big numbers at Peel ever since.

His lack of defensive running and tank is the consensus.
Essentially can't have 2 Fyfes in 1 team.
(Not comparing him to Brownlow Fyfe😂)
I think he would be a really good pick up if you could play him on mangaged minutes..
Brodie is an inside beast of a man and deserves opportunity.

Looking like freo going to miss finals

They will sell the farm & the tractors , sheep, dogs , cattle and even the shoes on their feet to get Baker & Bolton now
desperate times for the Dockers
Looks like Tigers are going finish last.

They will sell the Bolton & the Bakers , Rioli, Graham , Balta and even the Hopper they just traded to get young talent now
desperate times for the Tigers

They will sell the Bolton & the Bakers , Rioli, Graham , Balta and even the Hopper they just traded to get young talent now
Nope

Richmond know exactly where they are at and happy to do our time on the bottom for 3-4 years collecting top end talent to replenish before tassie. We have 3 Premiership cups in 4 years from a dynasty team that will tide us over for a while

There are teams like StKilda who has supporters around 65 years old that cant remember winning a flag
Freo needs to make sure they dont waste the talent they have currently by not bringing in the missing pieces
Freo will be desperate and pay what ever is required and pretty sure deep down every freo supporter knows with Bolton & Baker freo would be top 4 currently

Nope

Richmond know exactly where they are at and happy to do our time on the bottom for 3-4 years collecting top end talent to replenish before tassie. We have 3 Premiership cups in 4 years from a dynasty team that will tide us over for a while

There are teams like StKilda who has supporters around 65 years old that cant remember winning a flag
Freo needs to make sure they dont waste the talent they have currently by not bringing in the missing pieces
Freo will be desperate and pay what ever is required and pretty sure deep down every freo supporter knows with Bolton & Baker freo would be top 4 currently
That's not the narrative being peddled by WA media mouthpieces so we'll see. I think we'll stop at the farm & the tractors.

That's not the narrative being peddled by WA media mouthpieces so we'll see. I think we'll stop at the farm & the tractors.
WA media wouldnt know what Richmond will demand
But jeesus Bolton & Baker would add some flair and backbone to the freo side as well as adding 4 premiership medals to the fremantle list

I think the big difference is that Richmond won a premiership in the recent past (3 actually).

That engenders a lot more willingness to accept a patient approach.

I think the big difference is that Richmond won a premiership in the recent past (3 actually).

That engenders a lot more willingness to accept a patient approach.
You'd be surprised. Because of our history, many Freo supporters basically don't want to trade at all and would be happy just drafting. Plus, Freo supporters whinge and complain online but really, we like attention. We'll turn up basically regardless and "support da boys" no matter what.

We've had a patient approach since the start of this process but maybe they'll snap this year. Confident the trades that are worked out will be fair enough for everyone. Whatever Richmond supporters claim, their club wants picks or there's not even a discussion on Bolton in the first place. They won't get more for Bolton than this year, it's not a one way street.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Fremantle 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back