Autopsy Fremantle 62, Geelong 73

Remove this Banner Ad

It's quite disheartening to see so many of our players, including some of our forwards be too scared to take a shot on goal and look to pass it at every opportunity, why are you a forward if you're not even going to bother taking your chances? Why not let some of our forwards in the WAFL have a shot if you're not going to bother taking yours?
We don't have any forwards at Peel. Tabs and Voss were it. Jones and kuek are rookies and been out most of the season. Delean has been playing reserves and Cooper mainly gets the ball as a midfielder but got a couple of goals today.

We don't have any forwards at Peel. Tabs and Voss were it. Jones and kuek are rookies and been out most of the season. Delean has been playing reserves and Cooper mainly gets the ball as a midfielder but got a couple of goals today.
Honestly at this point I'd just be willing to give Simpson a go, it'd be something different and a chance to see what he could do with ample time in the small forward role.

We don't really have anything to lose at this point.

Honestly at this point I'd just be willing to give Simpson a go, it'd be something different and a chance to see what he could do with ample time in the small forward role.

We don't really have anything to lose at this point.
So late in the season for it. We have to win one of the last two. Very hard to bring an 18 year old kid in now. It will be Sonny probably next week or Emmett. Our development spot was taken up by one player for the whole season and any other potential spot was taken up by untouchables.

Destroyed in the ruck. Destroyed.
Pardon the intrusion, I come in peace.

I found it surprising that Stanley had such a reasonable match. He's lucky to even break even on any given day in the tap-outs, and has only ever lasted this long in our side because of a lack of viable alternatives in the ruck.

I was convinced prior to this match that we'd get towelled up in the middle, and that was after I heard that big Darcy was a late withdrawal. Luke Jackson is a very good player, and has shown that he's more than capable of being numero uno in the past.

So, is he out of form, or was his performance an aberration?

Clearly I don't watch as many Freo games as you guys, however, I have been wondering why your club has been so adamant that keeping Darcy in purple was so important even after Jackson moved over. Was my belief wrong all along that he was a bona fide number one ruck?

Jackson isn’t a great number 1 ruck, especially as the season wears on he gets tired and can’t dominate other rucks athletically
Doesn’t help when he has to spend half the season as no1 ruck as Darcy is made of rice paper

We can say what we will about Walters and his rapid decline over the last year or so, but one thing you can never take away from him is his ability to just go for it every time he has the chance, if he sees an opportunity his mindset is "**** it, let's have a crack."

We seriously miss his on-field leadership too.
Switta running in on goal, LOOKING INSIDE!! The last two weeks he has done this. Guy knows he can’t kick goals, and it’s so obvious .

Miers in the same exact spot a quarter later, nails the snap.

I think we're reaching the same point from a different angle. I'd argue we weren't contenders because we never grabbed our opportunities. As you say, we just had to win one of those close games and the narrative is different. 2 or 3 and we're looking at a home QF.

We had the opportunity to contend and were actually in a great position to as well (unlike for example, St Kilda or Adelaide). Bar a complete turnaround over the next 2 weeks (with no guarantee that 2 wins would even get us top 4 anyway), it's a season that we may come to rue not necessarily because it was some massive opportunity to win a flag but because we're likely going to again miss valuable finals experience.
Collingwood are premiers because they grabbed theirs. Simple. It was there, they contended hard and won. Average forward line with a hard bit defence.
They’re not that good a team. But they’re mature which is different to Fremantle

I understand it's a pile on but Aish?

He was literally just dropped.

And, there's about 10 players I'd drop before JOM.
Jom is 31. He’s playing as a defensive wing. Why? Why is he chosen ahead of Erasmus, Brodie, Aish, NOD, Stanley.
Is he really worth 4 years ?
He doesn’t attend centre bounces. 14 disposals today. Really? Is he really that worthy. 1 disposal in the last quarter, which was the advantage he selfishly took after Brayshaw’s tackle.

Banfield kicked 3 goals and 22 disposals v Bulldogs. What happens next? JOM goes defensive wing and Bailey is forward. Completely wrong.

I believe playing him and Fyfe in the same team. Is a disadvantage.

Jom is 31. He’s playing as a defensive wing. Why? Why is he chosen ahead of Erasmus, Brodie, Aish, NOD, Stanley.
He doesn’t attend centre bounces. 14 disposals today. Really? Is he really that worthy. 1 disposal in the last quarter, which was the advantage he selfishly took after Brayshaw’s tackle.

Banfield kicked 3 goals and 22 disposals v Bulldogs. What happens next? JOM goes defensive wing and Bailey is forward. Completely wrong.

Safe. Short sighted. Conservative. Selfish selection policy. Worried more about keeping his job than he is developing the team. In most cases long term gain requires some short term pain. These kids aren't going to hit their ceiling in the WAFL....

Safe. Short sighted. Conservative. Selfish selection policy. Worried more about keeping his job than he is developing the team. In most cases long term gain requires some short term pain. These kids aren't going to hit their ceiling in the WAFL....
Scared to admit that they signed up imports and has beens for too long.
It's called doubling down.

Pardon the intrusion, I come in peace.

I found it surprising that Stanley had such a reasonable match. He's lucky to even break even on any given day in the tap-outs, and has only ever lasted this long in our side because of a lack of viable alternatives in the ruck.

I was convinced prior to this match that we'd get towelled up in the middle, and that was after I heard that big Darcy was a late withdrawal. Luke Jackson is a very good player, and has shown that he's more than capable of being numero uno in the past.

So, is he out of form, or was his performance an aberration?

Clearly I don't watch as many Freo games as you guys, however, I have been wondering why your club has been so adamant that keeping Darcy in purple was so important even after Jackson moved over. Was my belief wrong all along that he was a bona fide number one ruck?
Stanley lives for games against Fremantle, think he has built his career on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're all smarts and no balls JL.

Brodie - 44 Disposals and a goal.
But no we don't like his defensive game, so no thanks.

Reidy - 54 hitouts.
You don't have what it takes son.

It actually hits worse because he's the best tactical coach we've ever had, he clearly bleeds purple but he will not play certain players due to an intrinsic belief they don't have it, when said players may actually have it. He will not move the magnets, he will not implement a Plan B.

If we miss finals this year then for me it sits squarely with the coach.
JL is spineless. Josh Carr as an assistant would have been handy this season.

First regular player I’m axing is JOM. I don’t give a **** if he's in the leadership group. Deep into the fourth quarter that play on to advantage was a rushed kick straight into the Geelong defenders arms when they were 2 points down. He was traded in for his experience. 🤦‍♂️ BRING IN BRODIE

I’m not going to even bother with the Tabs inclusion as it’s been covered.

Darcy needs to head off to that “fat farm” in far North Queensland like Lance Whitnall before him.

Never been a fan of Walker. Zero game awareness. Another to have a look at given Clark/Wagner work so well together.

Once again results have gone our way and they require one win to make finals. Regardless if that occurs, let JL contract talks go deep into next season and let him sweat on it. I’m still not convinced on him.

Last edited:
I guarantee you that tomorrow you will have no memory of posting this.

Then, you'll see it was quoted and be completely confused until you read this.

Pop a like tomorrow (which will be today for you) when that happens.
I often flip between feeling sorry for you guys and basking in how gloriously shit the club is. Why am I like this?

I seem to have a bit of a different view to most. Once I heard Darcy was out I thought we were no chance. I was surprised we competed as well as we did. I don’t view this as a game we coughed up as we did Essendon, Carlton and Port. It was a game where the lead changed hands several times and we happened to be in front at 3/4 time. We looked tired in the last quarter and were overrun.

Having said that, we again made it hard for ourselves by not getting out of the blocks. You could see the intensity lift after we were 3 goals down. A problem that must be solved.

Like many, I also find selection baffling. I have advocated for Reidy for some time. Jackson has been a poor first ruck since the first few games of the season (and a very ordinary player in general). It should have been tried. Worner for sub is hard to fathom, and Banfield and O’Meara should be on very thin ice.

I think finals is likely gone. We need Carlton to win today and need to find a way to win over Port.

I know your big on this Joao and whilst given all the evidence it would seem the logical course for the team (probably aides the cope on days like these too) but just assuming growth to occur naturally is too much of a cop out for me.
Posted a few times on this now so won’t go into anymore other than I seriously hope the club isn’t assuming like this too
It's not an assumption, its a balance of probabilities. Absolutely nothing is guaranteed. We could somehow acquire the whole AA squad during trade week but it would guarantee nothing. The odds of us being a lot better next year would sure be very high, but they wouldn't be 100%.

We have a lot of players in our B22 under 25 and have been in top 4 calculations for most of the year. Does it guarantee we'll become a juggernaut, no. The odds are definitely stacked in our favour. This should be trivial to understand.

There is no chance any club sits around thinking it's all going to happen just because. If they did, they'd have WCE 2023 over and over again.

The simple fact is the majority of our supporter base got way ahead of themselves and rather than admit that, they try rationalise it by saying that the people who actually predicted we were likely not ready are somehow still wrong and we accept mediocrity or some bull****. The problem is you if your expectations are too high.

So late in the season for it. We have to win one of the last two. Very hard to bring an 18 year old kid in now. It will be Sonny probably next week or Emmett. Our development spot was taken up by one player for the whole season and any other potential spot was taken up by untouchables.
I'm trying to riddle out the player. Draper, Sharp or Sturt? Throw me a bone.

It's really only NOD and Stanley if we're comparing apples to apples. The others aren't wings. We tried to move Raz on to a wing at Peel for a while but he's clearly an onballer so that was binned.

Stanley is miles off. I'd be a bit surprised if he's on the list next year.

Would love to see NOD back in and a bit of a reshuffle. You can play all of Sharp, NOD and JOM. Have done in the past.

Having said that JOM has had some very good games this year. Deserves his spot.

Switta running in on goal, LOOKING INSIDE!! The last two weeks he has done this. Guy knows he can’t kick goals, and it’s so obvious .

Miers in the same exact spot a quarter later, nails the snap.
It's a problem and becoming a bigger problem.

Its happening nearly every week with Switta. I am starting to get off him tbh.

Even his set shot yesterday as well passes it off to Sturt who drops the mark.

Distance from 45m if that's an issue for being out of his range a small forward then gee.

It feels like the biggest weakness of the team is mental. And we just showed it in the perfect way today:

• Slow start
  • Poor finishing/inability to hold on to a lead
  • Forwards too scared to take the responsibility to shoot
  • Players ignoring attacking options to take the easy pass wide and/or backwards
  • The fumbles under next to no pressure

Just about the only thing we didn't bottle today was the kicking on goal when we finally had a chance.

I also think that as shit as Tabs was subbing him off was a mistake. It gave the cats an extra tall in defence and in a game where we basically bombed it in all day it just played into their hands. At least he was a big body they had to man up.

It's really only NOD and Stanley if we're comparing apples to apples. The others aren't wings. We tried to move Raz on to a wing at Peel for a while but he's clearly an onballer so that was binned.

Stanley is miles off. I'd be a bit surprised if he's on the list next year.

Would love to see NOD back in and a bit of a reshuffle. You can play all of Sharp, NOD and JOM. Have done in the past.

Having said that JOM has had some very good games this year. Deserves his spot.
O'Meara head made some howlers in the past few weeks that have cost us dearly. But overall his form was good and getting better in weeks prior. Needs to lift though when we're having other senior players out.

Sharp's decision making has been on a bit of a downward spiral the further the season has gone on too (no orphan there though, and maybe understandable given his experience levels). The power of his game is still there, so that's good. But it might be nice have the pressure taken off him a bit. Don't know if O'Driscoll is the answer though, he's probably more a reactor than thinker.

It feels like the biggest weakness of the team is mental. And we just showed it in the perfect way today:

• Slow start
  • Poor finishing/inability to hold on to a lead
  • Forwards too scared to take the responsibility to shoot
  • Players ignoring attacking options to take the easy pass wide and/or backwards
  • The fumbles under next to no pressure

Just about the only thing we didn't bottle today was the kicking on goal when we finally had a chance.

I also think that as shit as Tabs was subbing him off was a mistake. It gave the cats an extra tall in defence and in a game where we basically bombed it in all day it just played into their hands. At least he was a big body they had to man up.
Tabs was left on too long, if anything. But having said that, just about everybody they brought in to the team was woefully sub par yesterday. Voss, Johnson, Worner, Taberner... all cost more than they gave.

Still, two moments... O'Meara's stupid play on and Worner's brain freeze on the wing, if handled with a bare level of competence, easily could've won us that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Fremantle 62, Geelong 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Back