Review Fremantle Contest a Game in South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton peeps, come on, no one on here wants your advice, stay out

Edit: holy **** Carlton people, how can you think anyone here wants your input on umpires or anything to do with the game. Stay out or get pointed

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have there ever been studies regarding umpiring and bias within the AFL? Certainly seems like an area the AFL should be able to point to and confidently endorse the umpires work.

Do they have any publicly available reviews, or does the media, including non-mainstream) have any statistical based observations?

Seems a lively area for someone in social media to explore.

Tbh I don't think it is the gameplan that is the issue. We have plenty of chances to score but the players fumble every opportunity. Dinky passes that get turned over, dropped marks and literal fumbles inside f50.
Agree. The defensive gameplay was suitable in this instance. Risk of turnovers and getting the ball fast into Curnow 1 on 1 with draper or McKay would've been bad for us.

Tbh I don't think it is the gameplan that is the issue. We have plenty of chances to score but the players fumble every opportunity. Dinky passes that get turned over, dropped marks and literal fumbles inside f50.
That game plan was a good fit against Carlton, but boring as bat poo.

Come on, one doesn’t occur without the other. Wasn’t a mark therefore the dissent free kick isn’t applicable. Just own it, none of this bs. I would have happily paid the fine if JL came out and had a dig at the umpires. One of the field umpires, think it was the closest field umpire Stevic called played on hence the tackle by Brayshaw after Cottrell “marked” the ball. If they can’t own it then say nothing at all.
Got anything to show one umpire called play on? I haven't seen anything

Yeah, all the dribble on the main board just assume we play exactly like that every week. We slowed it down and took it safe to an extreme deliberately. We haven’t been that slow all year.

Adelaide was really missing simple shots that meant we didn’t put on more and we scored 200 points across the first two games.

I’ve really liked JLs tactics this year

Personally I enjoyed the arm wrestle in this game. Was on the edge of my seat, as I knew Carlton might break us open any time.

Wouldn't say I enjoy these types of games generally, but based on the buildup and what was on the line it provided that tension

Have there ever been studies regarding umpiring and bias within the AFL? Certainly seems like an area the AFL should be able to point to and confidently endorse the umpires work.

Do they have any publicly available reviews, or does the media, including non-mainstream) have any statistical based observations?

Seems a lively area for someone in social media to explore.
I think it would be impossible to do.

Half the contentious calls are objectively correct but not consistent with the calls within that game or over the season.

I still maintain that if the game was umpires correctly their would be over 50 free kicks every game - and that's being conservative.

Because the game is played in this grey zone of what is and isn't worth a free kick I don't think you can find a true measure of bias.

I think that if you attempted to train an AI on what behaviors lead to free kicks it would have a very difficult time rationalising the outcomes to the causative actions - and it genuinely may find a correlation to the jumper being worn.

It would make for a very contentious article, that's for sure.

Yeah, all the dribble on the main board just assume we play exactly like that every week. We slowed it down and took it safe to an extreme deliberately. We haven’t been that slow all year.

Adelaide was really missing simple shots that meant we didn’t put on more and we scored 200 points across the first two games.

I’ve really liked JLs tactics this year
Yeah I think for the first time I've been able to see very clearly how he switches things up based on the opposition. People will get sucked in by the media, who are obssessed with fast quick ball movement and are convinced that's the only way you win games of footy.

Personally I enjoyed the arm wrestle in this game. Was on the edge of my seat, as I knew Carlton might break us open any time.

Wouldn't say I enjoy these types of games generally, but based on the buildup and what was on the line it provided that tension
What I think I liked more than anything is that they stuck to it and played it so well. Really felt like the team was maturing and ready to step up each week like the genuine good teams do. It was a step back with the last 5 minutes but I’ll ignore that for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brayshaw was the chief offender for mine.

Got a tonne of it but was a serious turnover merchant yesterday. Burned a good half a dozen forward thrusts with poor basic skill execution under no direct pressure.

What’s annoying is Carlton were completely out coached and Voss had nothing.

They didn’t counter because they couldn’t. We set up well and they were close enough to feel like they didn’t have to gamble.

Sadly, if we had of got 3 goals up we may have exposed them off a turnover etc. That didn’t happen.

We can also argue we didn’t gamble as we were the ones up. Johnson did take on a corridor kick and it resulted in a goal, but otherwise we were content to grind and back in our way, which for 99% kept us close, in the lead and within a mark or 2 of winning.

That moment from the Ryan kick in burns. When Curnow missed I was beautifully dragged into the ‘We’ve got this’ mentality only to have it ripped away within 90 seconds of what ifs.

The additional dissent over a clear error just makes the burn deeper.

Yeah I think for the first time I've been able to see very clearly how he switches things up based on the opposition. People will get sucked in by the media, who are obssessed with fast quick ball movement and are convinced that's the only way you win games of footy.
Also, given Port I believe like to score from stoppage more and their defence is very suspect, I think we’ll go quicker this week, more like Brisbane

Last edited:
Could’ve had a couple behind the ball though, moved Treacy there but he dropped that mark with less than 2 mins to go. Was a bit slow to do this

They didn’t counter because they couldn’t. We set up well and they were close enough to feel like they didn’t have to gamble.

Sadly, if we had of got 3 goals up we may have exposed them off a turnover etc. That didn’t happen.

We can also argue we didn’t gamble as we were the ones up. Johnson did take on a corridor kick and it resulted in a goal, but otherwise we were content to grind and back in our way, which for 99% kept us close, in the lead and within a mark or 2 of winning.

That moment from the Ryan kick in burns. When Curnow missed I was beautifully dragged into the ‘We’ve got this’ mentality only to have it ripped away within 90 seconds of what ifs.

It's infuritaing. Butcher that kick in, but then Pearce mops up and we've kicked it to Taberner who's marked long down the line. Can we take advantage? No way, bring it back and give Carlton time to get set up all over again.

Also, given Port I believe like to score from stoppage more so and there defence is very suspect, I think we’ll go quicker this week, more like Brisbane
If Darcy Is back our forwardline will be close to full strength with the three J's. Faster ball movement would allow us to maximise their potential. It's a shame that Freddy and Switta are injured.

Ultimately we just don’t score enough. Our attack is not a premiership winning one.
It’s a killer and will lead to situations like today on a frequent basis.
Only two freo players have kicked 40 goals in a season since 2015. That’s nearly a decade of footy!
Correct not at the moment it's not but we generated enough to win that game, some really bad shots at goal didn't help. We won't win a premiership without the ability to stop teams either.

Voss is a massive pretender.

Gifted a ridiculous list. Damian Drum would have them absolutely humming too.

"if it bleeds, we can kill it!"

I'm still inclined to think our trajectory suggests we play this fixture 2 or 3 months on (instead of Round 4) and we win without the need for any controversy. As in, it wouldn't be close. We have HEAPS to improve on, that was Carlton the kickboxer throwing its best kicks.

Meh, they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I hope it hurts the guys just enough without psychologically scarring so they can galvanise and hit it hard where it hurts. Get angry. Stoke some fire in the belly, so that next time.....and there might be a next time later this year, we can kill it dead & kill it properly!! "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!". Right the f*** on

I would not feel as pissed off if they had run us down legitimately in the last quarter and won it off us, even if we had control of the game for the most part. What really sticks in my craw is how the umpires literally gifted them a goal at the death off a call that was wrong. Then there’s the gall of the AFL to back the dissent call when it wouldn’t have happened in the first place if THEY DIDN’T **** UP.

The fact it keeps happening and always with Carlton - this ****ing league, man. It’s so amateur, with its biased medial bubble, uneven “fixtures” and its treatment of traditional AFL non-Vic teams as an afterthought to bring broadcasting dollars.

Sometimes, I really want to give this sport up - it’s frustrating barracking for a team that plays against a stacked deck every ****ing season. Sadly, I have never followed a sport where I have felt like that before.

I would not feel as pissed off if they had run us down legitimately in the last quarter and won it off us, even if we had control of the game for the most part. What really sticks in my craw is how the umpires literally gifted them a goal at the death off a call that was wrong. Then there’s the gall of the AFL to back the dissent call when it wouldn’t have happened in the first place if THEY DIDN’T * UP.

The fact it keeps happening and always with Carlton - this ******* league, man. It’s so amateur, with its biased medial bubble, uneven “fixtures” and its treatment of traditional AFL non-Vic teams as an afterthought to bring broadcasting dollars.

Sometimes, I really want to give this sport up - it’s frustrating barracking for a team that plays against a stacked deck every ******* season. Sadly, I have never followed a sport where I have felt like that before.

Shhhh. Don't you know you can't blame the umpires around here? Even though they literally decided the game against Carlton again, it is all on us for not putting away our chances.

I think it would be impossible to do.

Half the contentious calls are objectively correct but not consistent with the calls within that game or over the season.

I still maintain that if the game was umpires correctly their would be over 50 free kicks every game - and that's being conservative.

Because the game is played in this grey zone of what is and isn't worth a free kick I don't think you can find a true measure of bias.
Certainly getting a direct simple objective measure is difficult, if not impossible.

I'd love to see a breakdown where the time of game+score differential by missed/paid free categorisation (50:50, 60:40, 70:30, 100) by consecutive run.

Consecutive runs of 50:50 (or even 60:40) frees across a brief period of time is so damaging/advantageous. Particularly in the modern momentum game. Even more so as time is running out at the end of a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Fremantle Contest a Game in South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back