Fremantle - V - Hawthorn - NAB CUP

Remove this Banner Ad

Although, I hate the whole having two ruckmen in at the centre bounces thing. It doesn't make sense to me.

Clarke moved well as an extra midfielder. I like what they were doing with him for his development. Some nice work from him. Including Bradley, who had a reasonable hit out, we have some nice versatility in some of our very "talls".

The only good thing about the NAB Cup, is that you get an early picture of which posters not to listen to for the remainder of the season. For me, it's those who have only ever seen 60 minutes of football from Lower and are writing him off. He hasn't been the cleanest tonight, but who hasn't made a mistake? Personally, I have no concerns over his disposal.

On a brighter note, Anthony, Clarke and Mzungu have all looked very good. Although, I hate the whole having two ruckmen in at the centre bounces thing. It doesn't make sense to me.
Chris ,Griffin and Clarke at the centre bounce PLUS Crowley,Michie and Mcphee with Jonnno and Keplar playing on the wing was never going to work
Harvey wasnt on the ground at the half time break so how seriously did we take the game,we gave nothing away, got through without any injurys,
plan succeeded.We have bigger fish to fry this year without trying to win a who cares Nab cup game.
I think Clarke and Kep were given those roles to see their value as that fourth interchange .

To me the NAB cup clearly is a testing ground to try things that may or may not work in the proper season. I would rather find out now what does not work and who should and who should not be considered for the season proper. Some of those questions were answered tonight all be it at the cost of victory in both games.
If winning both games was so important over and above the experiments we tried tonight then the line ups would not have been like they were.

The only good thing about the NAB Cup, is that you get an early picture of which posters not to listen to for the remainder of the season. For me, it's those who have only ever seen 60 minutes of football from Lower and are writing him off. He hasn't been the cleanest tonight, but who hasn't made a mistake? Personally, I have no concerns over his disposal.

Your Hinkley love suggests crisp disposal isn't your top priority Chris. ;)

On a brighter note, Anthony, Clarke and Mzungu have all looked very good. Although, I hate the whole having two ruckmen in at the centre bounces thing. It doesn't make sense to me.

Anthony was good against the Hawks who had their 3rd string key defenders playing but thought he was crap against the Eagles.

The 2 ruckmen looked silly but I guess it illustrates how seriously the coaching staff were taking tonights games. They obviously want to work on Clarke's groundwork at ruck contests.

Chris ,Griffin and Clarke at the centre bounce PLUS Crowley,Michie and Mcphee with Jonnno and Keplar playing on the wing was never going to work
Harvey wasnt on the ground at the half time break so how seriously did we take the game,we gave nothing away, got through without any injurys,
plan succeeded.We have bigger fish to fry this year without trying to win a who cares Nab cup game.
I think Clarke and Kep were given those roles to see their value as that fourth interchange .

I wish you told me that Salim before I loaded up on us to beat the Hawks youth team...

Including Bradley, who had a reasonable hit out, we have some nice versatility in some of our very "talls".

He still played like Kepler though and did some stupid things.

With the arrival of Anthony and Griffin and with Clarke's continual improvement it's unlikely they'll both play anyway but I thought the Johnson/Bradley combination inside 50 was a poor one as they kept getting in each others way.

As some mentioned on here - the fact Harvs experimented a great deal (e.g. put Clarke on the ball to teach him a bit about how to play that Dean Cox type role that we are all hoping he picks up), giving Pav about 10 minutes, chucking the first gamers on the ball etc is a little reassuring.

Wouldn't write Nick Lower off yet. Can certainly get the pill (got over 10 in each game). Showed some signs of a lethal left foot. Decision making was off.

Whats the status of Bucovaz and Roberts? Would of loved to have seen Bustling Buca in action.

Clarke looks great, Griffin not so much. Mzungu looks ready, Lower looks like he belongs in the SANFL. Cant see Palmer having a big year if this is his form. Backline looks weak, without any system.

Overall, not positive.

i think you guys are using the nab cup as a real guage to see where we are at, thats never a smart idea, carlton won a nab cup and a wooden spoon in the same year, we all know we have a top 6 squad, but not only is it way too early to start playing our usual run and dash game style, but its also modified rules, 2 boringly long halfs, hard to get momentum, and we are trying out players who probably wont even get a game this season. lets wait until round 1 to show our true cards, in the meantime, its good to get the melbourne press thinking we are going to be no good. we play better when we are not expected to ruffle teams up i think

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle - V - Hawthorn - NAB CUP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back