Review Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 2 @ Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

How’s our vice captain DBJ going?

A nice lazy kick in to a ruckman who has to dive to attempt a mark. DBJ slowly jogs over to the contest and then half assed attempts a tackle on Fyfe who brushes DBJ off like a child and goals.

DBJ can pack his bags and GTFO with Hinkley and Koch

when we break we miss targets, plenty of times we go free ran into the forward line and missed simple targets would have easily been in double figures, i remember Farrell did it twice in the first quarter.

and then if we ever complete the kick (which isnt too often), we drop a simple mark..or we miss the set shot..all skill errors...******* infuriating it is

There's no doubt you have to run hard and be committed, put in effort, be selfless, etc etc but pointless if you miss a 20m kick or drop a simple mark and it goes straight back over your head.

you can play whatever game style you like but you aint winning s**t with poor skills.

I don't disagree our skills let us down. I think we are still playing that slow build up game which is much more skill-reliant because you have to hit moving targets in tight spaces because we give the opposition time to set up defensive structures.

But yes, we also missed targets with on the run kicks into the forward line. Even JHF let himself down a couple of times. But I'm so impressed by his ability to break free and get unpressured kicks away, I'm sure he will improve that final disposal with time and experience. He is a jet.

It just seemed nothing has changed. We still like the slow build up, we get a mountain of inside 50s and we get bugger all return. Charlie either dropped marks or fell over, Marshall was quiet and Georgiades largely unsighted. But they always seemed to be in congestion too because of our slow build up.

And in defence it was the same old fear of their tall forwards marking.

I think there is plenty to like about our list, more than there is to be concerned about (but the concerns are long-term), but we need a reset this season.

Last edited:

FqN0K4YaQAA84-8

We do it regularly

We are a nice club nowadays

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but it’s got a whiff of Butcher about it.

Won’t play him, but won’t trade/delist him either — then finally cut him when the club’s key forward stocks have never been lower with Schulz retiring and Baby Marshall looking at least 12-18 months away.

I don't disagree our skills don't let us down. I think we are still playing that slow build up game which is much more skill-reliant because you have to hit moving targets in tight spaces because we give the opposition time to set up defensive structures.

But yes, we also missed targets with on the run kicks into the forward line. Even JHF let himself down a couple of times. But I'm so impressed by his ability to break free and get unpressured kicks away, I'm sure he will improve that final disposal with time and experience. He is a jet.

It just seemed nothing has changed. We still like the slow build up, we get a mountain of inside 50s and we get bugger all return. Charlie either dropped marks or fell over, Marshall was quiet and Georgiades largely unsighted. But they always seemed to be in congestion too because of our slow build up.

And in defence it was the same old fear of their tall forwards marking.

I think there is plenty to like about our list, more than there is to be concerned about (but the concerns are long-term), but we need a reset this season.
its gunna be a long season!!!

and we haven't even started the bloody season

I'm not as down on Jonas as some here, but he had the look of put a fork in him about him. He should never be the last man standing in one out contests, especially against a talent like Fyfe. The Cannon was a much better match up.

How’s our vice captain DBJ going?

A nice lazy kick in to a ruckman who has to dive to attempt a mark. DBJ slowly jogs over to the contest and then half assed attempts a tackle on Fyfe who brushes DBJ off like a child and goals.

DBJ can pack his bags and GTFO with Hinkley and Koch
My 10 year old would have hit Lycett on the chest with that kick. DBJ in our leadership group just let that sink in again, I refuse to accept it.

losing Ian McKeown turns out to be a bigger loss then expected , very unfit now
We've gone from workery hardery for longery to just workery hardery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not as down on Jonas as some here, but he had the look of put a fork in him about him. He should never be the last man standing in one out contests, especially against a talent like Fyfe. The Cannon was a much better match up.
Have a look at defenders in the top sides, fast big skilful. Tom Jonas plays like a back pocket player straight out of the 80’s.

We need someone from the outside with some very big testicles to sort this rabble of a list out.
Someone with no relationships with anyone in the side would immediately jettison Lycett, Jonas and DBJ from not just side but the club. How embarrassing that two of these blokes are seen as leaders.

Someone with no relationships with anyone in the side would immediately jettison Lycett, Jonas and DBJ from not just side but the club. How embarrassing that two of these blokes are seen as leaders.
Look at Brisbane top 4 last year improved their list and appointed a new captain, we go backwards and stick with same leaders it’s doomed from the start.

That's assuming the next coach is a winner who has a clue. Unfortunately Koch and his band of losers will have plenty of influence on the selection. Won't want any boat rockers.
Who would people accept?
A Nathan Buckley or a Craig McRae type who performed a miracle with Collingwood last year

The Cannon outmarked Fyfe twice.

He's the best mark and the best kick of all of the defenders but we don't play him half the time because something.

The Cannon outmarked Fyfe twice.

He's the best mark and the best kick of all of the defenders but we don't play him half the time because something.
He only came on in the second half too. Which probably suggests he's not in the team in round 1 and we're going with Aliir and a cooked Jonas as our only KPDs.

Insane.

Last year we sleep walked through the pre season and first six rounds.

I wouldn’t say we are asleep this time we just aren’t good enough.

Given the list we have I find that so frustrating.

We experienced too many “lost” seasons where we struggle to win ten games and this year I’m starting to feel that way again this year.

Some teams can cruise these trial games and then flick a switch.
Port can’t do that and their trial game form is a pretty accurate indicator of how they are going.

Who would people accept?
A Nathan Buckley or a Craig McRae type who performed a miracle with Collingwood last year

I will wait and see on Craig McRae as Collingwood won six or so games by less than a kick in 2022. They made the Prelim but if those games had gone the other way they would have missed the eight. Maybe McRae has the ability to get a side up in the close games or maybe he is just lucky? This season will tell.

The problem is you never really know until about a new Coach until he has been calling the shots for a season or two. Back when we appointed Hinkley I didn't think it was a bad appointment as he had a good reputation. He was actually endorsed by several of the Geelong players who belted us in that GF. Maybe that should have rung some alarm bells? Let's face it 2013 and 2014 were not that bad and it looked like Ken was a good choice but it was all downhill from there. Maybe the loss of Phillip Walsh in the Coaching box calling the shots tactically was the reason for our downhill slide? When Walsh left so did Ken's success.

The only way to minimise any doubts around a new Coach is to appoint a Coach with a proven track record and I am not sure there are many of those out there. If we cannot get a Coach with a proven record at get least someone with a football brain to sit with the Coach and and advise him on match day.

At this stage I want Hinkley gone but I am not sure there is a stand out candidate to take his place.

I've defended Jonas a bit on here as i still think he is best 22, but he hasn't had a great pre season so far. The decision to make him captain again is super strange, and really doesn't make sense that we didn't add anyone else to the leadership group when 2/3 look to be struggling just to hold their spot in the team. Rozee and SPP would've been nice additions.

Back on defence, Allir has also been rubbish too but no one ever seems to mention that, there is a fixation on Jonas and that probably is the part that annoys me because Allir can get out maneuvered, out muscled, turn the ball over all game and everyone still thinks he is great. But he isn't. He hasn't been good since 2021. He also laughed when he fumbled and kicked the ball out on the full, if Jonas did that he would be crucified. Allir has obviously fit in well to the be a good person club and is having fun but it's time for him to get serious now and get back to how he was playing in 2021.

the cannon easily looked like our most trustworthy key defender and he isn't even a proper key defender.

The best thing to happen is we blow out the first half of the season. I genuinely dont think we are any chance round 1, 2 or 4. Always a chance v crows and who knows v dogs round 5. Could genuinely be 0-5 or 1-4. Ken will be dead man walking then. Cut the chord and get rid of him.

Run a full process and start all over again. The future is not Boak, Dixon, Jonas, Lycett etc etc

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back