Review Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 2 @ Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee, I hope Visentini can develop into a very good ruckman. Otherwise, we are STUFFED in the ruck department not just for the short-term but also the long-term. Teakle is not a ruckman. They have given up on Hayes - I will never understand that relationship. Why we gave up on him so suddenly and permanently, and why he has hasn't given up on us yet. Lycett is cooked to a char. Visentini is the only hope of being able to compete in the ruck again any time soon.
Our rucks have been a problem for many years

Even though we were within a couple goals until the last few minutes, we never looked any chance at winning. At all. Thats the concern. Where's our scoring going to come from? 5 years of just bombing it long to stationery forwards. When will we change?

Skills our bad. Our attitude looks bad. Our fitness looks dubious. Structurally I thought we looked ok last week but this week we were a mess. What is concerning is for the second week running we seemed to give up an abnormal amount of goals over the back. Flashback to 2016.

Bergman was real good. JHF and Rozee were very good as well. Drew had a real solid game. Duursma kept running and trying to create things. SPP started well then fell out of it. Outside of that it was slim pickings. Evans was good in the last, but came into the game when everyone else was a bit cooked. Still, he looked alright, has a strong body and good skills. Worth a shot in round 1.

Its gonna be a long year boys and girls. A very long year.
Agree with everything except your last statement. I think it's going to be a short year. Especially for Hinkley.

Watched till the 3rd when I had seen enough of the umpiring .. JHF is gonna cop it all year for leaving the kangroos four umpires is just pathetic Hinkley is trash Lycett needs to go I'd rather Dixs and Finlayson rucking spp and Connor are out best player's really excited for Orazio..
Putting it down as pre season game and mehhh what ever else I think and hope we have just been playing bruise free football excited for round 1 ..

But **** we need Hinkley and xo gone now

Gee, I hope Visentini can develop into a very good ruckman. Otherwise, we are STUFFED in the ruck department not just for the short-term but also the long-term.
Unless we find someone decent via trade or as a free agent.

Not the best proformance from Australia's leading best freind and great human beings academy

After they finished their on field warm up they did this thing where they all lined up and individually went and hugged every other player on the team. It was full on weird.

After they finished their on field warm up they did this thing where they all lined up and individually went and hugged every other player on the team. It was full on weird.

Is this legit? Or a joke?
It’s so hard to tell the difference these days.

I mean, we are a cult so is it really that surprising?

Probably a result of Holly Ransoms talk to the group about toxic masculinity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee, I hope Visentini can develop into a very good ruckman. Otherwise, we are STUFFED in the ruck department not just for the short-term but also the long-term. Teakle is not a ruckman. They have given up on Hayes - I will never understand that relationship. Why we gave up on him so suddenly and permanently, and why he has hasn't given up on us yet. Lycett is cooked to a char. Visentini is the only hope of being able to compete in the ruck again any time soon.

Not a concern. The entire AFL competition only has room for 18 ruckmen on a given weekend. There are decent experienced ruckmen everywhere playing reserves and plenty of them change clubs every year looking for opportunity. Not hard to pick up a solid but not starring Lycett (in his prime) equivalent from elsewhere if none of the young guys come good.

Not a concern. The entire AFL competition only has room for 18 ruckmen on a given weekend. There are decent experienced ruckmen everywhere playing reserves and plenty of them change clubs every year looking for opportunity. Not hard to pick up a solid but not starring Lycett (in his prime) equivalent from elsewhere if none of the young guys come good.
Except at best, lycett is like the 19th best ruckman in the league

I am sure the answer the board will give is 'Hinkley', but it does baffle the way the ruck situation has been handled. Lycett has played only 1 full season in his career which was the premiership year in 2018. He did that with a proper chopout in Vardy that year and was only first pick with multiple injuries. He only got serious games at WC in 2 out of 8 seasons (admittedly behind a deep ruck division). While at Port he has never played a full season (with 20 out of 24 games his best). Whilst I don't think he was a dud, he has always needed a chopout. He has been really poor in 2-4 game stretches when he gets worn out mid-season and he has had some bad fadeouts (most notably the 4th quarter of the 2020 PF). He is one of the best set shots at the club and can clearly push forward to kick a goal, so he can be useful outside of the ruck. He has also benefitted greatly from having Ladhams, Ryder in the team. He was always a massive risk of being cooked early rather than being one of these 35 year old ruckman. With that in mind, I have no ******* idea why he has been solo rucked. Sam Hayes clearly has the ruck part sorted but there are genuine issues about his around the ground work. Ladhams was arguably the best in the game at getting around the ground, skills, etc but there was a question about his rucking ability. Lycett looks like he has neither right now. There is no choice now, they have to play a young ruckman.

Lycett will not play 22+ games this year solo rucking. It's not going to happen, he's never done that before. I don't care who it is, but one of Teakle/Hayes/Visentini has to come in. Either Hayes replaces him as the main ruck or Visentini/Teakle play up forward in a 40/60 role as a quality chopout. You give Lycett a chance of succeeding in his role plus blood someone new. At the moment the forward line is dysfunctional. You can't have Lycett spending alot of time on the bench and then Dixon in the ruck leaving Mitch and Marshall by themselves, it's not going to work. Right now, Dixon 1st ruck with Teakle up forward (in a 50/50 role) is probably the way I would go. Teakle has looked solid in the SANFL up forward and if you can get him right at least we know we have a quality 2nd ruck option. It would be a disaster to try and squeeze every last drop out of Lycett/Dixon and not play any of the young rucks this year.

We are going to end up with a Dante/Scully/Finlayson ruck combo. They will rotate through the forward line and ruck. The AFL are trying to reduce stoppages so we should give the idea we are a stoppage side away and place more emphasis on keeping the ball moving.

The sooner we start moving in that direction the better and we start by getting games into Dante and Scully.

That should happen as soon as the season is over. About round 5.

Legit. Happened about 20 metres in front of me, 5 minutes before the game.

What the hell is happening!?

As Feel said, this has the taint of Miss Disruption on it.

we cant play fast footy

fast footy involves elite skills

we are so far off elite skills its not funny

It doesn't even require elite skills, just willingness to run hard and be committed to a game plan. Freo were far from elite but what they did was stick to a game plan which involved running a rugby line moving forward, keeping the ball moving across the line, not honeypotting the contested ball, and having a loose payer set up ahead of the line to contiue the movement. It broke us open time and again. We have an assistant coach who came from their environment and this is how they played last year. And still we weren't ready for the way they play and couldn't adapt to it.

And we certainly weren't committed to playing a similar style to break the game open. Fast exciting footy. Just words under Hinkley.

One thing i have been worried about the past 3 weeks is Dan Houstons form, he was probably one of our best players with the best skills the past few years and has been turning the ball over in every match this preseason. I feel like tactically we are completely screwed.

Also the last two years ae have moved Chad Cornes to defense coach in 2022 and forward coach in 2023 and both lines have looked to have become dysfunctional. Maybe he is not up to it as a line coach?

On TET-AN00 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We werent slow. We just have no system to play effective fast footy. Thats the problem.

You look at 13-15. Win the ball in numbers, spread hard, run hard, good handball, lots of carry, cleared out forward line to a leading Schulz/Westy/Monfries.

Here we try and move the ball quick but it breaks down because our skills are shit, we constantly play wide so are predictable and we have nothing but a pack of bodies to kick to up forward.

Its not an effective way of playing at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 2 @ Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back