Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes? Given the main praise of Sturt is that he is "a natural forward", it should be reflected in basic offensive metrics: goals, goal assists, score involvements. Fergus Greene outperforms him in all 3, and he got delisted.

Players like Schultz, Switta, Treacy, etc are the types who have games beyond stats. If Sturt's not putting up numbers, what does he do at an above average level?
Kicks goals

Kicks goals
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Sure, the youth is why you have more faith in Sturt than Greene. My point is people here are overcorrecting: if what Greene is doing was worth a somewhat harsh delisting, what Sturt is doing isn't worth "drop everything and re-sign him for 4 years this instant or the titanic will sink."

The recent uptick is why I'd have his name on the team sheet in pencil with the hopes that that small sample size is replicable, but it wouldn't move me to make any sort of long-term commitment, not by a long shot.
It’s perfectly fine to take this position on Sturt. But every player should be treated the same. Hard to explain 2 year commitments to Banfield and Worner in the last couple of seasons, if you are at the same time holding Sturt to what appear to be higher standards, to earn a similar deal?

It’s perfectly fine to take this position on Sturt. But every player should be treated the same. Hard to explain 2 year commitments to Banfield and Worner in the last couple of seasons, if you are at the same time holding Sturt to what appear to be higher standards, to earn a similar deal?
Worner's extension is pretty standard for a draftee who has spent 2 years at the club. Almost everyone who gets drafted to the senior list after their first 2 years who shows a bit gets a further 2 years. Worner got the 1 year rookie deal in 2022, 1 year extension to 2023, then 2 years to 2025. That's pretty standard stuff.

Banfield either played or was the unused medisub in 23/24 games the season he got a 2 year deal, a deal that was signed in September 2022. He had to earn his deal. Holding Sturt to the same standard would in fact be asking him to earn his deal rather than giving it to him with still a year left to run because of a decent 7 game run.

It's also that there's way too large a gap btwn Sturt's floor and ceiling to be offering him his deal with a year left to run. Guys like Cox, Darcy...you can sign them on early coz we know what they're about. Virtually everyone else OOC in 2024 are in "should gather more evidence" stage for me to know not only whether they should get a deal but what deal should it be. That includes someone like Brandon Walker, who would have a far stronger case for being re-signed early than Sturt.

There is definitely a world where Sturt shows enough that we should slap a long-term extension on the table. There's also a world where Sturt performs poorly enough to not re-sign him at all: if Brandon Matera can go from a 30 goal fwd in 2019 to delisted in 2020, Sturt performing poorly enough to get delisted isn't an out of this world possibility.

Worner's extension is pretty standard for a draftee who has spent 2 years at the club. Almost everyone who gets drafted to the senior list after their first 2 years who shows a bit gets a further 2 years. Worner got the 1 year rookie deal in 2022, 1 year extension to 2023, then 2 years to 2025. That's pretty standard stuff.

Banfield either played or was the unused medisub in 23/24 games the season he got a 2 year deal, a deal that was signed in September 2022. He had to earn his deal. Holding Sturt to the same standard would in fact be asking him to earn his deal rather than giving it to him with still a year left to run because of a decent 7 game run.

It's also that there's way too large a gap btwn Sturt's floor and ceiling to be offering him his deal with a year left to run. Guys like Cox, Darcy...you can sign them on early coz we know what they're about. Virtually everyone else OOC in 2024 are in "should gather more evidence" stage for me to know not only whether they should get a deal but what deal should it be. That includes someone like Brandon Walker, who would have a far stronger case for being re-signed early than Sturt.

There is definitely a world where Sturt shows enough that we should slap a long-term extension on the table. There's also a world where Sturt performs poorly enough to not re-sign him at all: if Brandon Matera can go from a 30 goal fwd in 2019 to delisted in 2020, Sturt performing poorly enough to get delisted isn't an out of this world possibility.
Why did we delist Matera when he kicked 30?

Why did we delist Matera when he kicked 30?
Because he was a lazy shit who couldn’t chase or tackle to save his life and came back to every preseason out of shape?

Edit - TBH I’m not sure of his tackle numbers but I recall him being a bit of a front runner.

What a soft player.

We can all ramble on after one of the weakest efforts in a match (yes practice match) but that’s 3 games now intra included where he looks like a fragile, soft, delicate and pea hearted.

Sir you’ll be at Peel until this changes. Goal kicking won’t get you back in..absolute wet lettuce leaf.

Now this may read harsh ⬆️ but it’s what we saw and unacceptable at the highest level.

I am no Treacy fan boy, yes his skills were deplorable and didn’t halve enough contests but at least he doesn’t look afraid out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a soft player.

We can all ramble on after one of the weakest efforts in a match (yes practice match) but that’s 3 games now intra included where he looks like a fragile, soft, delicate and pea hearted.

Sir you’ll be at Peel until this changes. Goal kicking won’t get you back in..absolute wet lettuce leaf.

Now this may read harsh ⬆️ but it’s what we saw and unacceptable at the highest level.

I am no Treacy fan boy, yes his skills were deplorable and didn’t halve enough contests but at least he doesn’t look afraid out there.
This isn’t harsh at all
It’s top level football, Sturt was wandering around out there like it was some college boys kick around .

Compare him to someone like Emmet who gives 100% when he’s on the ground and puts his body on the line

Short of half our forward line being unavailable for round 1 , if Sturt is on the team it’s an indictment on Longmuires coaching and team selection

Last edited:
This isn’t harsh at all
It’s top level football, Sturt was wandering around out there like it was some college boys kick around .

Compare him to someone like Emmet who gives 100% when he’s on the ground and puts his body on the line

Short of half our forward line being unavailable for round 1 , if Sturt is on the team it’s and indictment on Longmuires coaching
Sturt played himself out. For a while imo.

It's amazing some kids don't get a look in, and you've got someone like this bloke.
Been in the system 5 or 6 years, and donuts.
Delist material for mine

This isn’t harsh at all

Short of half our forward line being unavailable for round 1 , if Sturt is on the team it’s and indictment on Longmuires coaching
This has been an issue for years now.
Not just Sturt, but we don’t look physically imposing enough to storm the
AFL.
Other clubs on the rise look like they have done the work, we still look like
boys.
You have a guy like Fyfe, who’s next?
Every non Victorian clubs first premiership has it, we are still in basic training.
They say you play like your coach played in his day.

This has been an issue for years now.
Not just Sturt, but we don’t look physically imposing enough to storm the
AFL.
Other clubs on the rise look like they have done the work, we still look like
boys.
You have a guy like Fyfe, who’s next?
Every non Victorian clubs first premiership has it, we are still in basic training.
They say you play like your coach played in his day.
Interesting comment on the coach play style
A lot of them really are still boys though
Need to play with speed these days so can’t have too many lumbering lunks

It’s more in the head though
You look at guys like Serong and Switta they are small but tough , they do get pushed aside easily sometimes but when they’ve got space they are damaging

Then you get guys like Freddy , Sturt , Henry ( no more) , Omeara (to an extent) …. who seem to avoid contact and don’t go in for the hard ball gets

I’m not writing the team off as a whole on toughness just yet but I think I’ve seen enough on Sturt and have been saying it for a while now , that he just isn’t up to the level I want to see in my forward line

Guys like Schultz, Emmet ,Sonny Simpson make me wanna go to the footy

He was injured this preseason and missed over a month of footy. He's not ready and I'm surprised he got a game over others. He's not fit enough

People wanting him delisted are kidding themselves

He has been injury prone which doesn't help but he has afl quality skills

Remove this Banner Ad

Back