Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks like Fyfe when he was the same age. Same height and same great marking ability.

No one is comparing him to present day Fyfe.

He looks nothing like Fyfe at that age. Every kid that height in every code at an elite level looks scrawny, tall and lanky. Show me the comparison, please!
Nathan+Fyfe+AFL+Rd+20+Dockers+v+Swans+lbaYOuGYlyul.jpg

out of interest what were Fyfe's stats when he was drafted? He was drafted as a (skinny) HFF wasn't he?

So what?

Okay so they're both skinny and played half forward as 18yr olds :drunk:

If you want to compare him to a (ex)Freo player it's Crozier.

That all said I'm excited and optimistic about Sturt. Seems very raw and has plenty of upside.

That Mundy bloke goes OK. Luke Ryan, Ed Langdon, Sean Darcy, Darcy Tucker, Brayshaw, Cerra, Duman. Probably some others I've missed, but it's a bit early to write these off as bad picks yeah?

Ryan was a mature ager, Darcy and Tucker aren't from Melbourne, and the last 3 i'll give a couple more years before assessing (but I do like all of them so far). Although with super high picks I would hope we've got adequate coverage. That's one area i've got no issue with simply getting best available.

But are you seriously disputing that our recruiting from Melbourne has been atrocious? In a previous post I listed our 1st and 2nd rounders recruited from Melbourne from 2010 to 2015. Zero are left.

Ryan was a mature ager, Darcy and Tucker aren't from Melbourne, and the last 3 i'll give a couple more years before assessing (but I do like all of them so far). Although with super high picks I would hope we've got adequate coverage. That's one area i've got no issue with simply getting best available.

But are you seriously disputing that our recruiting from Melbourne has been atrocious? In a previous post I listed our 1st and 2nd rounders recruited from Melbourne from 2010 to 2015. Zero are left.
Take it to the melt thread Rob, you're cruelling our buzz :)

My analysis is more evidence based.

Our record in drafting Melbourne kids out of the first half of the draft is terrible. I don't doubt that they liked what they saw with Sturt - just like how they liked what they saw with Sheridan, Apeness, Pitt, Crozier, Michie and Balic (that's all the Melbourne kids we drafted from 2010 to 2015 in the first 2 rounds).
None of those players are currently on our list.

Please, tell me more about how great our recruiters are.
2 are still on AFL lists, 2 retired due to injury complications and 2 weren't up to scratch

it's not that bad when you take into account the 2 who retired due to injury probably would still be playing with us...

The sample size is 4. Two had careers cut short by injury. The other two played more than the AFL average number of games players drafted at that number in the draft (and they were compromised drafts too). No picks were above 15.

You need the full facts not just your cherry pickef ones.

Firstly I am happy with the selection. Secondly, I do not think we should pick local for the sake of it - every kid is different, and you need to back your environment by picking what is in the interests of the club.

Here is the fun part. If we all write down who will be 100 game players out of the top 36 picks (2 picks each club) -keep it simple fellas for me!
the stats on a selection playing 100 games inside the top 10 is reasonable. Beyond that it gets more shady. This draft - the top 36 - even in a super draft, there will be maybe 11 players that play 100. You can quote me on this later.

Comparing a kid drafted to Nat Fyfe is just silly. A Brownlow medalist needs not be compared to a new recruit in any way or form.
We hope he plays a game, then 10 games, then 20 games, then 50, then we are looking at a 3 year player in most cases. So from there, hopefully within another 3 years they have met the 100 game barrier. This is for the "elite recruits". Others may take longer, some to injury, some to family, some to attitude. Some just do not develop in skill or smarts.

100 games, is it hard? F#ck yes it is. It becomes a lifetime of commitment to AFL as a profession.

Living the dream? Perhaps, when the fans want you.

We need to love our players again, we need to enjoy losing (competitive - not smashings), then win, and win more. Expecting Sturt to be Steph next year - how does that help us? ...

I will take up on 11 players out of the top 36 playing 100 games because it’s happened literally every draft probably for the last 15 years outside of those where realistically there hasn’t been enough time.

A first rounder doesn’t equal a gun every time but 100 games doesn’t measure a good footballer. Nick Suban, Zac Clarke and Rhys Palmer cracked 100 games from Picks inside the top 36 - doesn’t mean much at all really.

Maybe they’ll be 11 B+ Graders from the top 36 but many many more will crack 100 games.

So what?

Okay so they're both skinny and played half forward as 18yr olds :drunk:

If you want to compare him to a (ex)Freo player it's Crozier.

That all said I'm excited and optimistic about Sturt. Seems very raw and has plenty of upside.
Thanks for your response :drunk:

I was simply asking what Fyfe’s stats were when he was drafted.

I'm so upset right now. I can't even force myself to look at any of Sturt's highlights. My mother came into my room with a plate food, I slapped it out of her hand and screamed at her. Ian Hill please forgive us.
If he's any good, we'll trade for him in a few years anyway (unless WC pick him up).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's any good, we'll trade for him in a few years anyway (unless WC pick him up).
We could trade for him now

34, 41 > 23, 71

WC end up with 29, 34, 41 and 55/68 to use to match a bid on Cameron. They win because they get another early pick (41) in before a bid on Cameron and still have two 2nd rounders. They also won’t use 71. Pick 59 is too high for Carter and 71 is about right.

23 (Ian Hill), 59 (Tom Lewis/Boyd Woodcock/Dillon O’Reilly) and 71 (Jason Carter)

So many of our "supporters" are very negative.I am not sure why.
Skippos nailed it about recruiters.We have as many eyes on the ground in Melbourne as any one.Every club is the same.
Every club selects the best player , or the best player to suit their wants and needs. Obviously the recruiters saw Sturt as a project player who will give us plenty in a year or maybe his second year.His body doesn't loo quite up to it right now.
He seems more than happy to be coming to Fremantle.If that is the case , then we are on a winner.Maybe not this coming season, but the next.
Those "Supporters" have the right to be very negative to a degree.

I will be brutally honest here. I was shocked when we got him as he is a 189cm player that plays forward. Looks like a midfielder to me.

Sure he looks talented.

But everyone needs to be reminded and most freo fans have a knowledge of this.... Freos selections of 1st round picks have not been well.

either have been injured/illness (Morabito, Apeness, Pitt), Substandard (Palmer, Sheridan, Crozier), Or just didn't work out or was lazy or wasn't committed or had off field problems (Simpson), or Left very early (Weller)

Seems like a good selection. I hope he becomes servicable

My analysis is more evidence based.

Our record in drafting Melbourne kids out of the first half of the draft is terrible. I don't doubt that they liked what they saw with Sturt - just like how they liked what they saw with Sheridan, Apeness, Pitt, Crozier, Michie and Balic (that's all the Melbourne kids we drafted from 2010 to 2015 in the first 2 rounds).
None of those players are currently on our list.

Please, tell me more about how great our recruiters are.
Think they did an awesome job last year...

Just checking in from NYC to see who we picked - happy with this, albeit the noise around Hill. Maybe we will trade up to get him, not too fussed if we do.

This decision to me gives a tick to guys like North who is next in line to break into the midfield, stoked to get this sort of player

Stupid to break up the draft over 2 days btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draft Profile:
Height: 187cm
Weight: 75kg
Position: FP/HFF
Strengths:
  • smooth natural forward player
  • can play in a pocket as a 3rd tall marking target or in a ball winning, roaming high HFF roaming role -
  • has some flair/X-factor about him
  • Good leap - at a couple of cm reach advantage for his height
  • Strong OH mark for his size
  • Neat field kick over short-medium range

Actually that was Nat Fyfe's profile but it reads very similar to Sturts.

Sturt appears to be a better kick and quicker. Fyfe had better endurance and had dominated some games late in the year which Sturt has yet to do.

Doesn't address our gaping hole in the middle, but you can see why they picked him. Hopefully a full preseason, better endurance and he can be turned into a HFF/Midfielder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back