Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Baker will go to West Coast and the Eagles can make it happen with their TB pick.

I'd be surprised if Sturt leaves. He's in the best 18 now, and the team is on the cusp of sustained success. Why leave now?

So you won't be square Peg and you won't be Feeder but you'll still be a grumpy campaigner on here

It's ok old lad. You'll be back.
Ha and you're JMT. See, you have old accounts too. What a hero you are for outing mine.
But I am serious huskii, I honestly can't lose here, please take up the bet.
Either I am right that Sturt stays, you're full of shit and we're rid of you off BF, or you are right, Sturt leaves and the club is more cooked than I imagined and I couldn't GAF about posting here any more.
Make my day matey

As an aside from the whole "Survivor: who will vacate bigfooty edition" and "On a scale from Rosa Parks on a bus to a mother with a pram on a bus, how fairly has Sturt been treated?" convos:

An underrated aspect of why we need to keep Sturt imo is the whole Jackson unicorn stuff. If next season is when Jackson's position is gonna start really getting funky (it should), having someone who is a medium but can play taller if needed is important. Sturt fits that description more than anyone else we have, and could help give us structural stability while exploring Jackson's ability to play higher up.

So with Sturt, it appears he has at least 1 offer from over East that he likely using to get a better contract from Freo in regards to money, length or both.
Theres nothing wrong with that, hopefully we can satisfy him.

1 offer? He probably has 9.

• Vic born
  • Playing regular games now injury free
  • 1.7 goals/game
  • no name, no reputation yet - cheap as chips at the trade table
  • getting 1 year deals and being undervalued at current club
  • 24 years old

If he moves the media will be all over him being recruit of the year like he was some crazy diamond in the rough moneyball find but every club over east will be all over this profile. It's smacking them in the face.

Freo better not have messed this up, just when we finally have a forward line. I know he missed games at the start of this year, but this was a pretty clear trajectory for him since mid-2023, so it's not like we didn't know that we had an improving asset.

Last edited:
No slander on you or your source but if we pony up 3 first rounders for Bolton & Baker I will straight up Terry Wallace.
It's a lot I totally agree. If Richmond pay a big chunk of Bolton's wage and we still keep our draft pick which looks like pick 10 it's not too bad.

beverley mitchell hollywood darlings GIF by Pop TV

Huskii and Feeder after Sturt makes his decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 offer? He probably has 9.

• Vic born
  • Playing regular games now injury free
  • 1.7 goals/game
  • no name, no reputation yet - cheap as cheaps at the trade table
  • getting 1 year deals and being undervalued at current club
  • 24 years old

If he moves the media will be all over him being recruit of the year like he was some crazy diamond in the rough moneyball find but every club over east will be all over this profile. It's smacking them in the face.

Freo better not have messed this up, just when we finally have a forward line. I know he missed games at the start of this year, but this was a pretty clear trajectory for him since mid-2023, so it's not like we didn't know that we had an improving asset.

I just can’t agree with this undervalue thing. The only time we could’ve undervalued him is with the contract in front of him currently. His recent 1 year extension was not undervaluing him. He’d barely played by the time he’d signed it due to injury, and him just not being good enough in 22.

He’s always been talented and a lot of the setbacks aren’t his fault, but it’s not undervaluing him to include those setbacks as his contract. The 1 year deal last year could potentially have been 2 years but it’s hard to judge that contract given what Sturts achieved in 24

I just can’t agree with this undervalue thing. The only time we could’ve undervalued him is with the contract in front of him currently. His recent 1 year extension was not undervaluing him. He’d barely played by the time he’d signed it due to injury, and him just not being good enough in 22.

He’s always been talented and a lot of the setbacks aren’t his fault, but it’s not undervaluing him to include those setbacks as his contract. The 1 year deal last year could potentially have been 2 years but it’s hard to judge that contract given what Sturts achieved in 24
The fact he brought up the bank loan clearly indicates that he wants the security of a long term deal, I imagine a bank would laugh at him rocking up at the start of 2023 with a 1 year contract with a trigger for a second year, he clearly wants to stay in WA, hence wanting to buy a house, but if all our offers have been with trigger clauses, it’s his prerogative to look for a longer term deal somewhere else. We should really be negotiating with the bank about what they need to see to approve the loan.

The fact he brought up the bank loan clearly indicates that he wants the security of a long term deal, I imagine a bank would laugh at him rocking up at the start of 2023 with a 1 year contract with a trigger for a second year, he clearly wants to stay in WA, hence wanting to buy a house, but if all our offers have been with trigger clauses, it’s his prerogative to look for a longer term deal somewhere else. We should really be negotiating with the bank about what they need to see to approve the loan.
This is where Alcock would be handy.

Would Sturt still be an AFL player if he wasn't a first round pick?

He spent four years basically outside the AFL averaging one game per year. Everything he has achieved has been the last two years where he has managed ten and eleven game streaks.

If he wasn't a first round pick in the season we also lost Valente, would he have had the chance to play these 30 games?
Yeah he would have. Played some very good Wafl footy when he wasn't injured and looked promising when he got a shot in the Afl.

Ha and you're JMT. See, you have old accounts too. What a hero you are for outing mine.
Either I am right that Sturt stays, you're full of shit and we're rid of you off BF, or you are right, Sturt leaves and the club is more cooked than I imagined and I couldn't GAF about posting here any more.
Make my day matey
Make it a proper bet - you won't come back under a new user name.

Make my day matey
I remember jedi mind tricks.

Make my day matey

I never said I didn't post here in the past. Gee you carry on like an old chook.

I'll keep posting and you'll keep sulking. This is on you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back