Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

"pretty sure they are close on a 2 year extension with Sam" !!!!

From capital sports, not his direct manager but the bloke on gettable that works at capital
Old School Yes GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"pretty sure they are close on a 2 year extension with Sam" !!!!

From capital sports, not his direct manager but the bloke on gettable that works at capital

Sounded very confident too, basically said he's had a very strong year and it looks like it's gonna they're gonna lock in a 2 year deal because of it

2 years is really where it is at, perhaps with a trigger for a third.

If someone else is offering anymore than that length of contract then he should jump at it.
They won’t be any triggers.
He will be 8 seasons into his career and aged 26 in 2 years time and a free agent.
Most above average players from that point look for a 5 year payday from ages 26-31 to cover the most lucrative portion of their careers.
If he’s not in our top 25% of paid players though, he’ll be a UFA in 2 years time and we could lose him with no possibility of matching a bid. However that’s better than losing him this season so I’m ok with that.

Last edited:
They won’t be any triggers.
He will be 8 seasons into his career and aged 26 in 2 years time and a free agent.
Most above average players from that point look for a 5 year payday from ages 26-31 to cover the most lucrative portion of their careers.
If he’s not in our top 25% of paid players though, he’ll be a UFA in 2 years time and we could lose him with no possibility of matching a bid. However that’s better than losing him this season so I’m ok with that.
Yep, let's be honest, most players drafted at 18 are not still on an AFL list after 6 years (excluding rucks and some taller key position players I suppose) if they have only played 31 games. Plus Sturt has played 40 WAFL matches so he wasn't injured the whole time.
He has done well to be getting offered a 2 year deal, his career looked gone 18 months ago. I don't think he has shown enough to be getting 3 or 4 year offers from us or another side. This new deal will probably mean he can afford a house now. He has 2 years to show he is worth another one that will pay it off early, and that he is good enough to not just hold down but command a spot in the best 18 of a top 4 side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back