Freo - what are people's thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to ask are you serious - 1500 games? I will be honest Im not going to even try and disprove you figures because I think your having a lend of all of us.

Im happy to be proven wrong but thats in you court - As for thoughts I expect you to around the 8 despite losing so may players:rolleyes:.

I am an Eagles fan and even I could figure this out, its not that hard. They lost the following players:

Bell (286 games);
Black (192)
Carr J (188)
Carr M (162)
Farmer (249)
Johnson (208)
McManus (228)
& 1 or 2 others .... the total of the above is 1513 games.

Now Freo fans will argue that they did ok without those guys but (from memory) they got about 160 games from that group last season. Thats 7.5 players full seasons. They will replace that with a returning Hasleby (who looks slower than me in the pre-season to date, Headland (who is unstable) and a whole lot of kids. They have 13 players - not including rookies - who have played 10 or less games!!

They have a good first dozen to 15 or so players and then adequate depth type players but their first choice 22 will likely have 1 or 2 first gamers - thats a thin list.

If they have no injuries they will be ok and could go mid-table. If they get 5 or 6 injuries - to anyone - they will be playing most weeks with 4 or 5 first year players, That generally ends badly.

I think the overlooking of the loss of all that experience is quite prevalent on this board and in the media (outside Perth) and while most of those players who have gone were past their best, they were still good enough for 160 games in 2008 and they need to cover that somewhere else. Does anyone really think they will find it easy to find kids who can cover for Bell, J Carr, Farmer etc - week in, week out? Even at 75% of their former selves they were hardened experienced AFL players.

I honestly reckon Freo are those 4 or 5 injuries (to anyone - not just stars) away from bottom 2.

Every side is 4 or 5 injuries topline injuries away from disaster. Freo have 26 players on their list with more than 10 games. Thats thin and exposes them more than most (any?) to injuries.

Who cares how old they are as long as they get the job done? I'm sick of BFs obsession with youth.

It'd be alright if they were contending for a premiership but they are clearly rebuilding. Just have to look at their list management in the off-season to see as much. These are the same guys who've been on their list for years and haven't taken them anywhere. At their age and the state of Fremantle's list, they'd be better investing time in youngsters, because come 2011 when Fremantle might realistically hope to challenge, these guys would be nudging 30 and on the decline.

While guys like Pavlich, Sandilands (who is still relatively young) and Mcpharlin could all be more than handy contributors, even come 2011, you'd expect the rest to be past their prime, barring maybe Hayden. With his injury troubles, can't see Haselby getting back near his best.

If they do persist with these guys and they don't have success in two or three years time, they'll be looking at a lengthy spell down the bottom, having to replace guys of that experience. Replacing 3 or 4 of them at once might be doable - having to replace 7 or 8 could be disastrous. Better to blood some youngsters who might end up being handy contributors for years to come.

I am an Eagles fan and even I could figure this out, its not that hard. They lost the following players:

Bell (286 games);
Black (192)
Carr J (188)
Carr M (162)
Farmer (249)
Johnson (208)
McManus (228)
& 1 or 2 others .... the total of the above is 1513 games.

Now Freo fans will argue that they did ok without those guys but (from memory) they got about 160 games from that group last season. Thats 7.5 players full seasons. They will replace that with a returning Hasleby (who looks slower than me in the pre-season to date, Headland (who is unstable) and a whole lot of kids. They have 13 players - not including rookies - who have played 10 or less games!!

They have a good first dozen to 15 or so players and then adequate depth type players but their first choice 22 will likely have 1 or 2 first gamers - thats a thin list.

If they have no injuries they will be ok and could go mid-table. If they get 5 or 6 injuries - to anyone - they will be playing most weeks with 4 or 5 first year players, That generally ends badly.

I think the overlooking of the loss of all that experience is quite prevalent on this board and in the media (outside Perth) and while most of those players who have gone were past their best, they were still good enough for 160 games in 2008 and they need to cover that somewhere else. Does anyone really think they will find it easy to find kids who can cover for Bell, J Carr, Farmer etc - week in, week out? Even at 75% of their former selves they were hardened experienced AFL players.

I honestly reckon Freo are those 4 or 5 injuries (to anyone - not just stars) away from bottom 2.

Every side is 4 or 5 injuries topline injuries away from disaster. Freo have 26 players on their list with more than 10 games. Thats thin and exposes them more than most (any?) to injuries.

Has Hasleby ever looked quicker than you? He's always been slow and hence does not rely on pace for his game. His ability comes from his reading of the play, awareness of what is around him, good skills, quick hands and reacting quicker than others.

I don't understand what you mean by 'unstable' re Headland. I will assume you are referring to his knee and not his temper when confronted by people making lewd comments about his young daughter. He appears to have some injury concerns at this point, but Fremantle have had a reasonable pre-season despite his absence, so his return could be seen as a bonus.

Fremantle have a core of players who are critical to them in 2009 - Pavlich, McPharlin, Sandilands, Grover, Hayden, Tarrant and Bradley. If they lose 2 or 3 of those players they could be in serious trouble.

Freo's chance was 2006, when they had Bell, Carr, to an extent Heath Black these more experienced players. Obviously thats why they recruited Tarrant, Soloman, M.Johnson :eek:. Still, have some good youngsters coming through but cant see them making finals. In fact, I'll reckon they'll go backwards before going frowards

I seriously don't think we are that thin - I think we will easily finish above the sppon zone.

In Hayden, Headland, Solly and Hase we lost 55 games last season and these are 4 players easily in the top 18. Actually Hayden is top 5 in my book and whilst Headland, Solly and Hase may not be stars ....each one is certainly AFL calibre.

Drum, Bradely and Gilmore are all far from fresh faced first year players and there is another 41 games there compared to last year. Remember our best footy was played without Black, M Carr and Bell on the list.

Of the fresh faced new kids ...Hill is showing he may just be Palmeresque and will crack the 22 on form alone and Suban is also showing a lot early.

If 3 of our 4 fresh faced kids are Hill, Suban & Ballantyne - as long as they are surrounded with Pavlich, Hayden, Mcpharlin, Sandilands, Palmer & Mundy ...I really don't see it as an issue.

It is still who is injured that will wreck Freo more than numbers ...if Sandilands go down that one injury would do more damage than Pav and Palmer combined.

Somewhere between the bottom four and the top four.

I really like the look of some of Freo's youngsters, Palmer, Mayne, and Ibbotson (watch out for Ibbo, will be a star) and now Hill this year who looks like he might start Round 1.

Have had a decent cleanout, kept their high picks over the last few years and seem to have improved their last quarter fadeouts from last season. I think they'll do well.

I predict an 8th placed finish for Freo this year. Will bow out first week of the finals.

One of the first times in a while they haven't been in the bookies top 4 or 5 for the flag.
What are the expectations internally from the club?
How do people think they will go?

Do they have what it takes to be a top 8 team?

They have a culture of failure, although they took some steps to get rid of this last year. Im afriad they still might be a generation away from removing the 'failure' tag that sits nicely on the clubs head. Im predicting 13-16th Finish.

It'll be a season defined by injuries. Keep the majority of the best 22 fit and we'll finish possibly in the 8.

A couple injuries and we could plummit down the ladder. Our best 22 is a long way ahead of the rest of the list. Depth is a huge issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 5 home games and a game against Carlton at Gold Coast in the first 8 games we could surprise everyone and be sitting firmly in the eight.
Then again we might not.

One thing most tother siders don't appreciate is the fact that we are a Football Club that has real supporters. The 'passion' bit is not some advertising campaign. The advertising campaign is the result of our passion.
Fremantle is an actual place on the map and people identify with it.

There is no use thinking about it.
Never been right about them before so cant see why I would be right about them now.

Ok I'll have a go.

Somewhere b/w 3rd and 15th :confused:

Anywhere from 6th-13th IMO.

Like what they have done in the draft and clear out. They have a couple of players that have come on quicker than first expected and their fitness base looks solid. Injuries will play a huge part where they finish since their depth isnt really something to boast about.

I think we have to take a bit of pain this year and play all of the kids this year without overdoing their workloads. With Pav, McPharlin, Hayden and Haselby in their late 20's we need to have games into these kids sooner rather than later.
This year 12th, 2010 to be a genuine top 8 contender 2011 we will have to make a serios push because unless we uncover another Pavlich, Koutafides or a Hird we are going to take a big hit in a few years.

It'd be alright if they were contending for a premiership but they are clearly rebuilding. Just have to look at their list management in the off-season to see as much. These are the same guys who've been on their list for years and haven't taken them anywhere. At their age and the state of Fremantle's list, they'd be better investing time in youngsters, because come 2011 when Fremantle might realistically hope to challenge, these guys would be nudging 30 and on the decline.

While guys like Pavlich, Sandilands (who is still relatively young) and Mcpharlin could all be more than handy contributors, even come 2011, you'd expect the rest to be past their prime, barring maybe Hayden. With his injury troubles, can't see Haselby getting back near his best.

If they do persist with these guys and they don't have success in two or three years time, they'll be looking at a lengthy spell down the bottom, having to replace guys of that experience. Replacing 3 or 4 of them at once might be doable - having to replace 7 or 8 could be disastrous. Better to blood some youngsters who might end up being handy contributors for years to come.

It wouldn't have been possible for us to recruit anymore kids than we did, we took what like 8 in the draft and 5/6 in the PSD?

I could almost promise you that players like Thornton, Peake, Murphy and Gilmore will not be at the club in 1/2 years. And had so many not retired last year, 3/4 of those guys would be gone already.

It's not like we are holding onto these guys for any other reason.

We are a bottom 4 team that's for sure, 3/4 injuries and we are playing kids who are not ready to play for years.

To be quite honest I never think of Freo...where is it again?
Just think Fish and Chips Mmmm:p

Seriously though, this year is the first year in many where things down at the port look a bit different.
Harvey (and co) have appeared to have made some real wholesale changes (whether they are good or bad remains to be seen) that I haven't seen in quite a while and for the first time in quite a few years i'm a little bit optimistic.
I'm not expecting miracles but a good honest effort by our lads this year will go a long way for me:p:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo - what are people's thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back