From AA to WAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Says alot about the Collingwood FC at the moment that an AA doesn't want to play for them and would rather sit out of footy.
Is Bucks and Leons relationship frosty?
Collingwood are a massive chance to win a flag and he wants to play somewhere else maybe even PORT? please something very fishy?

Not sure why it's labeled a "fall from grace".

He said he wanted to go home for family reasons and would play in the WAFL if that was the only way he was going to get that. He stuck to his guns and did that.

There's more to life than money and money isn't wealth.

No, other than your own kids money is the most important thing.

sorry but when I think of Leon Davis I can't help but think he is one of the most over-rated players the AFL has ever seen.

I always felt he played great against lower clubs but never really proved himself when it counts. I might be wrong though and I am open to someone proving me so.

Fev on the other hand has real star quality talent just has made poor decisions in his social life.

exactly was never seen when the game was on the line. What about the grand final appearances as well pure lols had all around.

Says alot about the Collingwood FC at the moment that an AA doesn't want to play for them and would rather sit out of footy.
Is Bucks and Leons relationship frosty?
Collingwood are a massive chance to win a flag and he wants to play somewhere else maybe even PORT? please something very fishy?
It does say a lot. It says they are confident about the list, not about to over pay someone and locked and loaded for free agency opportunities.

It also says a bit about Leon Davis. He wants to be closer to family. He has openly had a desire to return to WA or as a second option go to SA and the club has said for years it would trade him if an offer came - which it never did.

I am very happy with what it says on all fronts.

i am simply at a loss as to why none of the clubs would pick him up... especially west coast given our run of form last year...

i can understand port, but even then gee a guy like that would make you much more competitive...

welcome to the AFL - we're it's more important to be good in five years than it is to be good now

Is it possible you guys couldn't afford him under the cap? He wasn't going to play on a rookie's salary. The more baffling thing is that Freo picked spud Dawson ahead of him for roughly the same price tag, but that's clearly Ross Lyon's input. As for Port, they will be paying the minimum of the salary cap next year because they can't afford to pay more, and they would have already sorted out the contracts of their players that would push them up to that minimum TPP before Leon was even on the market. As for the crows, he probably doesn't fit into their rebuild plans or something.

Also, I can't believe how many people are blaming his manager, sure it's his job to make sure that Leon is still in the system next year, but Leon made that job so much harder for him by waiting until after trade week to walk out on Collingwood, and then only nominated 4 clubs he would play at, maintaining the high price tag. Davis has really dug his own grave on this one.

Davis is a very very over rated footballer. The common fan sees what he does with the ball in hand which is great, exciting and attacking football and great to watch. His failed grand finals and final series as a forward years ago and again his failed grand final this year held weight as that was his worst game of the year by a long shot. If you can, watch how Varco carved Davis up in the grand final and how often Varco was left lose 40 meters out infront of goal. It cost Collingwood greatly as those goals were crucial, especially the first goal of the match which set the tone. Again an example of a player being rated with what they do with the ball and no weight holding to what they don't do do with the ball.

Fevola was unlikely to get drafted, far too many strikes. It would be too risky to take him to a rebuilding side like Port with his record. Though I though both players might have fitted St. Kilda as the saints really need another tall forward who can play to support Riewoldt if they have any interest in having another go at a premiership, davis would have suited them or quite well too again if they were chasing another crack at the flag.

Fevola was unlikely to get drafted, far too many strikes. It would be too risky to take him to a rebuilding side like Port with his record. Though I though both players might have fitted St. Kilda as the saints really need another tall forward who can play to support Riewoldt if they have any interest in having another go at a premiership, davis would have suited them or quite well too again if they were chasing another crack at the flag.

I absolutely agree that on-field St Kilda was the best fit for Fev, but off-field they're trying to move past that pitiful culture they've had in recent years, making Fev the worst fit from that perspective.

The more baffling thing is that Freo picked spud Dawson ahead of him for roughly the same price tag, but that's clearly Ross Lyon's input.

Davis & Dawson are totally different types of players though.

Lyon/Freo obviously felt they could use an extra tall defender and that he was the best available.

Never understood the hate by opposition supporters to Leon. A few normal Collingwood trolls in this thread couldn't help themselves, but not surprising.

He was a sublimely talented player who finishes as a dual AA & a premiership player to boot. By foot, he is in the top few percent exponents in the competition & has a highlight package that few players can rival.

He has been a model citizen off the field, has had no major dramas on the field & is one of the quietest players in the game. Has done a great cause for Aborginals at Collingwood, a career to be celebrated that ended b/c of Liam Pickering.

Is Leon a victim of Pickering resigning from IMG to form his own management business & IMG reacting by sending their clientele Neds way (Elite Sports).

The AFLPA should be assisting Leon to see if Pickering/IMG did the job Leon paid for. Who let him down?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton would be the best on field fit for Fev

Good point, forgot about them actually, once again, one of the worst places he could have ended up off-field though (edit: not a troll of Carlton, they just couldn't afford to have him back after sacking him only 2 years ago). :p

The AFLPA should be assisting Leon to see if Pickering/IMG did the job Leon paid for. Who let him down?

Are you serious? Bloke went cashing cash. Gambled and lost. The end.

Shattered he is going, is one of my favourite players and his 2009 season was one which I will never forget. His skills are freakish and made it look so frikkin easy to pick up the ball at top speed in any weather conditions. Will miss him.

It clearly shows the big steps that the WAFL is taking to supersede the AFL as the premier footy league in the universe.

We have already convinced a dual AA and current AA player in Leon Davis to leave one of the AFL's premier competitions to join the WAFL.

This is how the VFL started going ahead of the SANFL...

I applaud your schechsie outlook on things. Kudos.

Davis & Dawson are totally different types of players though.

Lyon/Freo obviously felt they could use an extra tall defender and that he was the best available.

McPharlin is a better player and Silvagni looks like a pretty good prospect for them, and I just can't think of any real quality HBF's that they have. It seems odd to me. :confused:

Broughton, Duffield?

Would probably still rather Davis based on 2011.

Dont forget Mcpharlin is 30
If I was Lyon I wouldve gone for Dawson over Davis as well considering age

Yeah, just thinking that based on 2010 that Freo aren't that far off genuinely competing, so age wouldn't be that big an issue. Except of course Davis struggles in finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

From AA to WAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back