Funky Carl on SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically 'helpful' hints from Kevin with an undertow of poor old North.

Very disappointing to hear that, I was hoping for much better - the media team is working so hard to get across a sense of energy and excitement, and he needs to be a big part of it. If he's not ready, stay off the air and leave the space to Brad.

Very disappointing to hear that, I was hoping for much better - the media team is working so hard to get across a sense of energy and excitement, and he needs to be a big part of it. If he's not ready, stay off the air and leave the space to Brad.

It was like a random CEO cliche generator and lacked energy

Why does he need to speak in the first place ( and this is not a criticism of Dilena because on the ground things seem well run).

In the words of Kennedy, his job is to do ( a job he does well) and the media stuff can be left to the President for the off field stuff or the Coach for the football side.

I've met Carl a few times at club functions and he seems a nice sort of bloke. Easy to talk to and a lot more reserved than Euge. His CV reads very well and has some footy experience through his board time. Hope he has that little touch of bastard that you need when the going gets tough and he needs to fight the fight. Nothing suggests to me he can't do the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read that he said the head of WANM had told him they hadn't "really thought through" the motion. That sounds unlikely.

That was interesting. He said that why should we have a restriction in the constitution when say a side like Hawthorn doesn't. He used the example of us playing 4 games a year in hobart, and then getting offered a one off game in Auckland for big bucks. Under the ammendmant we'd have to call an EGM.

I see where he and JB are coming from, but i find the above situation highly unlikely.

That was interesting. He said that why should we have a restriction in the constitution when say a side like Hawthorn doesn't. He used the example of us playing 4 games a year in hobart, and then getting offered a one off game in Auckland for big bucks. Under the ammendmant we'd have to call an EGM.

I see where he and JB are coming from, but i find the above situation highly unlikely.

pretty simple really... Hawks are one of the bigger clubs and will never relocate therefore no need for a restriction.

... He said that why should we have a restriction in the constitution when say a side like Hawthorn doesn't.
Because we aren't ****ing Whorethorn.

He used the example of us playing 4 games a year in hobart, and then getting offered a one off game in Auckland for big bucks. Under the ammendmant we'd have to call an EGM.

Yep. Unlikely but hey, I heard whispers that Brayshaws was talking Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Ravi Shastri back in 2008 and we were a bee's testicle away from signing a Multi Billion Dollar deal to play one game a decade in Bombay. But once players in the IPL weren't getting paid, we got itchy feet and the deal fell through.:(

All those who want an "entertaining" CEO might want to look at Melbourne who have a media savvy, quotable CEO in ...... Cameron Schwab.

All those who want an "entertaining" CEO might want to look at Melbourne who have a media savvy, quotable CEO in ...... Cameron Schwab.
Most CEO's come from an accounting background. Accounting and personality are generally mutually exclusive terms. Eugene was a lawyer and had a big personality plus a very recognizable voice. Cut Carl some slack - radio is hard to do until you know how to use your voice to sound excited when you aren't or just to be able to inject light and shadow. The Ox was shocking when he began and is now quite good - content excepted of course.

Most CEO's come from an accounting background. Accounting and personality are generally mutually exclusive terms. Eugene was a lawyer and had a big personality plus a very recognizable voice. Cut Carl some slack - radio is hard to do until you know how to use your voice to sound excited when you aren't or just to be able to inject light and shadow. The Ox was shocking when he began and is now quite good - content excepted of course.
I didn't mean to be critical of Carl - far from it. CEO's duties aren't media officer's duties so I think expectations of Carl are too high in that regard. As long as the club turns a profit, he's doing his job.

Not sure he isn't.

But it did make me miss Roogene's passion, clear vision & yes, media savvy.

If Euge had all the media savvy he is being credited with here, he'd still be our CEO. Blowing off steam and slagging off at the boss in front of the media is not what I'd call media savvy.

I read that he said the head of WANM had told him they hadn't "really thought through" the motion. That sounds unlikely.

I didn't hear the segment so I don't know the context of the remark. But at a meeting with Carl when we discussed various scenarios I can recall saying that I hadn't considered that particular situation but at the end of the meeting I left no uncertainty that WANM was committed to the motion as it stood.

PS, I'm not the head of WANM, I am the spokesperson on this issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Funky Carl on SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back