Future Lions and Losing

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 15, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Just wondering how the future Lions, supporters and players, are going to handle losing when there run of dominance comes to an end. Have they become arogant and frogoten how to lose graciously? The events of the weekend makes you wonder. Players refusing to shake hands after the game, supporters carrying on about an incident that had no relevance to the result like they had just lost the flag. Up to the weekend i had a lot of respect for them and thought (still do at this stage) they would go down as one of the great teams to ever play the game, but if this is how they will react when the dominance falls and new power house teams emerge then they will surley lose some of that respect that they have earned over the last 3 years.
What are your thoughts?

The Lions Supporters win well... They could have been right pricks for the last 3 years, and no one would have been able to say anything, but they didn't.

They don't seem to be as gracious in defeat as they are in victory.

Most of the roy boy brions in melbourne seem a friendly lot.

High regard for them.

I might not agree with AFL policy, but must say queueing up to get into TD and chatting to the oldies, and second third gen royboys was pleasant, and even after the game both of which we won in 03 and 04 they were pretty good chaps and lasses.

I would say by and large stupidee is A-typical of the royboy brions I've met.

Eagles4Eva said:
Have they become arogant and frogoten how to lose graciously? ?

No. Everybody has a bad day. The Lions are, generally speaking, respectful winners, and when they finally fall from grace they will show dignity on the way down. Losing will take a bit of getting used to though but they've got a year or two before it starts to happen.

Brisbane are the reigning champions and will be until someone takes their crown from them. You nver count a champion out until they are knocked out.

I thought they were gone last year and they were far from that.

They had a bad day against my team last weekend and they will bounce back when Brown, Lynch and one or two others return.

Love watching them and look forward to them standing over the skeletal carcasses of a few more teams before the 2004 season ends.

As for copeland dobbing - nothing in it - who gives a f@!#k except the odd embittered wobblies fan and Eddie..

smilingassassin said:
As for copeland dobbing - nothing in it - who gives a f@!#k except the odd embittered wobblies fan and Eddie..

Whats Eddie got to do with it? Nothing to do with us!!!!

Don't worry us Lions/Bears supporters are used to losing.

The Lions fans are frustrated that's all. Injuries to key players - especially down the spine have really hurt the team. A few poor performances (and good ones from the opposition), the OOB on the full that was given a point and some inconsistent tribunal decisions add to the frustration.

MSB ROYS said:
The Lions fans are frustrated that's all. Injuries to key players - especially down the spine have really hurt the team. .

Apparently thats no excuse. I read that somewhere.

Dinga_19 said:
What happened with Hawks fans when their rein of terror ended?

many bought their memberships, but didn't turn up for games!

It was probably declining thing rather than bang and everything collapsed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIPPER_46 said:
Looking at all the treads since this game one cannot help but think that The Lions fans have been far more gracious losing than the WCE fans have in winning.

Looking at some of your work after the game Ripper, one could argue that it's Dockers fans who have been least gracious when it came to our win.

RIPPER_46 said:
Looking at all the treads since this game one cannot help but think that The Lions fans have been far more gracious losing than the WCE fans have in winning.

Smarten yourselves up, E-girls fans.

...looks at bait, has nibble on the edges, decides it tastes crap and swims off....

Eagles4Eva said:
Just wondering how the future Lions, supporters and players, are going to handle losing when there run of dominance comes to an end. Have they become arogant and frogoten how to lose graciously? The events of the weekend makes you wonder. Players refusing to shake hands after the game, supporters carrying on about an incident that had no relevance to the result like they had just lost the flag. Up to the weekend i had a lot of respect for them and thought (still do at this stage) they would go down as one of the great teams to ever play the game, but if this is how they will react when the dominance falls and new power house teams emerge then they will surley lose some of that respect that they have earned over the last 3 years.
What are your thoughts?

It's amazing the amount of post coming out from WEagles fans about the Lions. Who cares, I follow the Lions with my two sons 10 and 8 and will always follow them because there is a circle of life and it happens in footy as well. Take the bad with the good.

When the Lions reign does drop at least I will be able to get in this overcrowded Gabba stadium and watch some footy with out fighting for seats week in and week out :D

cheers

Dave

The amount of garbage coming from the Eagles supporters after Sunday's game is laughable. We were beaten by the better team, as we have all said.

Do you want a damn medal? Win a Grand Final!

We get frustrated because we know our players are a very good unit when they get going and last weekend, they didn't. Fairly simple.

90% of the supporters come from the Bears/Fitzroy days, we have been at the bottom before and realise that its an awful place to frequent, and because of that, we are enjoying our time at the top.

All the anti-Lions stuff from West Coast people is amazing. We played poorly, they played less poorly, thus they were the better team, but shall we collide later on and our boys actually turn-up and both teams, at full-stength, have a red-hot-go, I'd rather be a Lions supporter at that game.

Homer said:
The amount of garbage coming from the Eagles supporters after Sunday's game is laughable. We were beaten by the better team, as we have all said.

I think the issue is that this has not been said by a lot of your teams supporters.

Generally there has been a fair bit of respect for the lions from the eagles supporters but there has been endless rubbish being posted about how Judd and Kerr should be suspended.

No matter who you are, if all you can do after you're team gets beaten is moan about how the opposition should be reported/suspended then of course it sounds like you're whinging. From there it a short step to being called a "sore loser".

llosis said:
I think the issue is that this has not been said by a lot of your teams supporters.

Generally there has been a fair bit of respect for the lions from the eagles supporters but there has been endless rubbish being posted about how Judd and Kerr should be suspended.

No matter who you are, if all you can do after you're team gets beaten is moan about how the opposition should be reported/suspended then of course it sounds like you're whinging. From there it a short step to being called a "sore loser".

Show me this so-called respect? Show a post? No-one has said that Judd and Kerr should have been suspended. I, personally, have said Judd was lucky not to give away a free-kick for high contact and Kerr needed to be reported but not suspended (so he could be warned and the AFL could be seen doing the right thing for once). No matter which way you slice it, Kerr made contact, but not alot of force. Reported for commiting the crime, not suspended, due to lack of malice. It was most definately reckless. You can't just accidentally headbutt someone when you are standing in-front of him.

No matter who you are, if all you can do after you're team wins is get stuck into oppostion supporters and players and whinge about someone tagging a star, then of course it sounds like you are a whinging tool. From there it is a short step to being called a 'sore winner' or a '********er'.

I think you will find Lions supporters are far more gracious than other teams would be in thier positions,as we know what it is like to lose so badly for so many years.

Bias aside, I feel honoured being around to watch this Lions outfit as I feel they will be remembered for many years to come.

Give us Roy supporters our time in the sun,as it wont last forever,and you will all have your turn.

We are supporters every day, all day, just like you and I have found the majority of Brisbane Lions supporters quite gracious and diplomatic.

Regardless of where we are on the ladder or how many premierships we have won, we are entitled, just like you, to have our say and write our own opinions even though you might hear it as whinging, we have all done it at one stage, why should we be any different when the occasional whinge or complaint is had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Future Lions and Losing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back