Future of player movement

Remove this Banner Ad

The big problem is that there are plenty of players in the draft that will basically head home almost immediately if they are drafted to an interstate club.

Just this draft we have had GWS move up in the draft and West Coast split their picks and move down in the draft as both clubs wanted to avoid the group of VIC Metro kids that look to be going in picks 2 to 6. It is not good when clubs are trading away from certain parts of the draft because the only players available at that point in the draft are all massive flight risks. It creates a very lopsided draft.

How many players have done that after their first contract?

I would personally bring in a new rule stating "if a player gets drafted to a team in a state they are not from then they get an additional 10% on their contract". This stays in place for the player, for every new contract they sign with the club they were drafted to but disappears the moment they get a trade. This applies to all players from all clubs who are drafted from a different state.

In theory fine, but inevitably one club would rort it (most likely Sydney) and then we would be back to square 1.

So if you get drafted pick 18 you are on a 4 year contract with set wages, no matter how well you play.,

I get drafted at pick 19, I kill it and get 600K dollarydoos each for years 3-4.

Set wages for the first 4-5 years of your career - clubs and player can sign an extension for more money on top of that if they wish

If you are any good, you'll make money after those 4-5 years and will stop clubs spending money on young shit players and inflating the market

Set wages for the first 4-5 years of your career - clubs and player can sign an extension for more money on top of that if they wish

If you are any good, you'll make money after those 4-5 years and will stop clubs spending money on young s**t players and inflating the market

I suspect that would be a restraint of trade. If I am Buddy Franklin I have to play for five years on set wages until I can earn what I am worth?

The average career in the AFL is about five years.

If you are any good, you'll make money after those 4-5 years and will stop clubs spending money on young s**t players and inflating the market

It should remain at 2 years.

The AFL just needs to develop a rookie salary scale like the NBA.

Then the standard rookie contract has team options for a 3rd and 4th year at the rookie salary scale increases.

If a JHF requests a trade as an example, North takes up his 3rd and 4th year and Port is trading for a player with 3 years to run on his contract.

There’s no way clubs should be stuck with dud draftee’s for 4 years unless they take up that option.

I suspect that would be a restraint of trade. If I am Buddy Franklin I have to play for five years on set wages until I can earn what I am worth?

The average career in the AFL is about five years.

I hate terms like restraint of trade, so is the draft, so is salary cap etc.....dont agree to the rules, dont sign to play (there would need to be rule introduced, any player drafted from the year the rules are introduced sign to play under those rules, those who already on the list play under the old rules - might take 10 years but they'll all be playing under those rules eventually)

As i said, clubs and players can sign an extension to the period clubs control the player - your example, Hawks could sign Buddy after 2 years for 6 years and $1m a year, eat up the last 2 years of the period they controlled him and reward him with the extra years/money.

Average career of an AFL career is about 5 years - thats because there are a lot of crap footballers on the list who dont deserve to be paid big bucks. If you are any good, you'll get paid. More money to spend on the better players as players in the first 5 years get paid less than they would be now (some stupid contract being paid to ordinary players atm)

You need to keep in mind in US footy the players are more mature having done 4 years at university after finishing high school. Far more ready for the challenges the world offers.
Our guys are wet behind the ears and still suckling mummy’s teet.
Yep Im big on this. I believe raising the draft age would greatly improve player retention. Let the players finish their growing in their home state, play state league footy, work part time or go to uni and see we'll see how bad they want it. My bet is more players would be ready to move out by then.

For this to work there would need to be some investment into the State Leagues and player payments. There would need to be better alignment of the state leagues and AFL where there could be a proper mid year State carnival for the best talent to be on show, potentially over two by weekends in the AFL. The finals bye moves to a Grand Final Bye where all State League Grand Finals are played on the Saturday.

The standard of footy would improve ten fold as clubs don't play under developed teenagers against 27 year old hardened men. More early draft picks would come in and have a significant impact particularly at weak clubs.

Wont happen because the AFL is scared of losing athletes at 18, which is a weak argument.

I hate terms like restraint of trade, so is the draft, so is salary cap etc.....dont agree to the rules, dont sign to play (there would need to be rule introduced, any player drafted from the year the rules are introduced sign to play under those rules, those who already on the list play under the old rules - might take 10 years but they'll all be playing under those rules eventually)

As i said, clubs and players can sign an extension to the period clubs control the player - your example, Hawks could sign Buddy after 2 years for 6 years and $1m a year, eat up the last 2 years of the period they controlled him and reward him with the extra years/money.

Average career of an AFL career is about 5 years - thats because there are a lot of crap footballers on the list who dont deserve to be paid big bucks. If you are any good, you'll get paid. More money to spend on the better players as players in the first 5 years get paid less than they would be now (some stupid contract being paid to ordinary players atm)

Other posters in this thread are suggesting a pay increase to get players to agree. You are arguing for the average AFL career to be spent playing for minimum wage.

Just have a COLA based on Qld and NSW footy development; and
A COLA based on ladder position

Essentially bottom teams can spend more to keep or attract players
No Disrespect to North Melboune for having a horrible 2022 season.

But they are forced to use a minimum 95% of the cap. How the hell could they fill that up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Future of player movement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back