Future of player movement

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is a problem with the AFL and the draft/recruiting players. Ultimately I think the problem stems from moving interstate for an 18 year old and be daunting when they are likely to have been living with their parents their whole lives and haven't developed the skills to independent that typically comes from ave and experience. I think moving interstate is typically less daunting for some one in their mid 20's+. I'm not sure what the solution would be exactly.

The only lever than can be pulled is the remuneration of the players. Maybe as an incentive to retain players is to have a potion of the a players pay not counted towards the salary cap if the player is from interstate relating to age.

For example, 25% of a players pay from interstate between 18~20 years old is not counted to the salary cap. 20% for players between 21-22. 15% for players 23-24. 10% for players 25-26.

I think it has zero to do with moving away from family etc. I cant recall anyone quitting football because they had to move interstate and had no offer from other clubs......:think:

Its aamzing those who get homesick have clubs offering contracts with better years/dollars.....just an amazing coincidence

I think something has to give. Who ultimately actually holds the contract - is it the AFL? If so can they state that the place of work could be anywhere Australia wide, I guess somewhat like the military, and if the players want to work for the AFL then they accept that they may be required to work in Perth or on the Gold Coast or anywhere else.

In the end, it’s all about money.

Offer the players enough in the next EBA and they will accept US sports trading rules.

It might take a 50% pay increase, but it will fix most of the issues wrong with the game, will add a completely new complexity to list planning etc also.

The go home factor seems to be much more of an issue for Gold Coast and GWS than Sydney and Brisbane.

Brisbane had their issues a few years back but clubs anchored to the bottom of the ladder are never desirable places for players to stay. Hasn't been as much of a problem for them since they started making finals.

But it also cuts both ways. Bowes seemed pretty cut that Gold Coast sought to get rid of him.

It is more of an issue for GWS and Gold Coast as they are worse teams. If Sydney and Brisbane both spent 3 or 4 years down the bottom we would be losing players hand over fist as well.

It is not a problem Victorian teams have as much as Melbourne was super crap for years and years and they didn't lose half the players either Brisbane, GWS or Gold Coast did when they were bad. If a team is bad players aren't willing to stay, they just want to go back to their home state. It makes rebuilding a lot harder for GWS, Gold Coast, Sydney and Brisbane and why none of them want to go to the bottom of the ladder.

A major thing people usually forget is that it's a sporting competition, and there are good teams and there are shit teams.

Good teams attract players. Shit teams lose them.

I totally get there's more nuance in the detail but that overall truth generally holds.

Gold Coast have been horrifically managed, by and large, since their inception, and it's hurt them. They had a crack at getting good players in on Day 1 with huge money, and their targets were mostly terrible. They brought in no leaders for their young squad - in fact, with people like Campbell Brown or an aloof God preacher like Ablett they basically brought in the opposite - and had no culture develop from Day 1. They then appointed a past-it coach in Rodney Eade who was widely disliked by players. They're still getting over all that.

GWS did the opposite and nailed it. They made several prelims and a GF. Well now it just might be their chance to be shit for a little while. Most clubs experience that. Look at Hawthorn, they won three flags in a row and now people are tipping them for a spoon. GWS will hit the draft and improve. Or maybe they won't - maybe they've chosen a dud coach in Kingsley. Or, maybe it's an inspired choice. Jason McCartney has to cop the fact he's in a tough job. It's what he's getting paid for.

Do people remember the state Brisbane was in? Sacking their coach to employ an unavailable Paul Roos. Players leaving everywhere. They'll never recover, they can't get players... whinge whinge whinge.

If you told people in a few years they'd have Joe Daniher and Josh Dunkley demanding trades there you'd have been laughed into oblivion.

The system isn't perfect but stuff goes in waves, you have to manage things as best you can. Get it right and goes right. Get it wrong and it goes wrong. That's life.

The "big Melbourne clubs" have the advantage yet mine hasn't played in a prelim in 20 years. Shit management.

Carlton haven't made one in 22 years. Shit management.

Richmond had a similarly laughable record but then started doing things right.

Minimum 4 year rookie contract for 1st round.
2 years for everything else.

Only unrestricted free agency with no compensation.

Players can only choose the state they will move to, not the club.

In the end, it’s all about money.

Offer the players enough in the next EBA and they will accept US sports trading rules.

It might take a 50% pay increase, but it will fix most of the issues wrong with the game, will add a completely new complexity to list planning etc also.
And increase costs to attend games as well as foxtel/kayo. If they go down that route many people won't be able to afford to follow afl anymore

When do you think we see that clubs can trade players to a team of their (the clubs) choosing while a player is still under contract, similar to US sports?

-We now have free agency
-Players asking for trades but nominating specific clubs in multi team states (Hopper & Rich etc)
- Players tampering with the draft by saying they won’t go to X club, only want to play for Y

In the last few years we’ve seen player movement considerably evolve following a US model, will it continue on its journey?
Never. The AFLPA will never sign off on that.

The go home factor seems to be much more of an issue for Gold Coast and GWS than Sydney and Brisbane.

Brisbane had their issues a few years back but clubs anchored to the bottom of the ladder are never desirable places for players to stay. Hasn't been as much of a problem for them since they started making finals.

But it also cuts both ways. Bowes seemed pretty cut that Gold Coast sought to get rid of him.
No it doesnt cut both ways. It just doesn't.

How many players want to "go home" to nsw and qld?

None because there aren't any players drafted from there in the first place. This is a fact.

And increase costs to attend games as well as foxtel/kayo. If they go down that route many people won't be able to afford to follow afl anymore

I calculate it as a likely 13% cost increase to give the players a 50% pay rise. It equates to about $100m per year.

I don’t think Australians should complain too much about the costs to attend AFL games.

They should have a look at EPL or NFL season tickets before complaining

Great in theory but in reality it won't mean much. Jackson paid lip service by saying wa but freo were the only team in it all along
Yes because he had chosen Freo mid season. In my world he wouldn't be able to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is it is so hard to police.

During a u/18s game, twomey was commending how great it is that jhye Clark has been mentored by Geelong and has spent time at the club.

To me that's draft tampering. It's not a Geelong issue, I'm sure it happens at most clubs. But heading into the biggest equalisation tool the game has got in the draft, clubs should not be allowed to actively build relationships with players. No wonder homesickness comes into effect when they have been "welcomed" into the club family before they are even in the league

No it doesnt cut both ways. It just doesn't.

How many players want to "go home" to nsw and qld?

None because there aren't any players drafted from there in the first place. This is a fact.
I feel like GWS players leaving is less to do with going home in 2022 trade period, than it is with players were offered better/longer deals than GWS offered them.

Ditto Gold Coast. It's the nature of all those clubs having years of top end talent, and they simply can't keep them all in the cap.

You don't see the same issues with Sydney and Brisbane, it's with the expansion clubs GWS and GC predominantly.

The AFLPA currently hold all the power in the CBA but I think we'll start to see the clubs claw a little something back during the next negotiation.

Would like to see something like the following:
  • All draftee contracts are three years long rather than the current two, with 1st round selections having a club option of a 4th year
  • Contracted players who wish to leave before the end of their contract can nominate a State of their choice but not a club. This would allow the team to work the best deal possible to replace the player.
  • Uncontracted players can nominate a club of their choice
  • During each trading period, a club can nominate one player as a Franchise Player. That is if a club thinks they are close to winning a flag with their current squad they can say that one player can't be traded, but that player gets a one-year deal that pays them the average amount of the 5 highest paid players at their position and at the end of the following year that player becomes a UFA and if they wish to leave the club receives the usual FA comp and that is all.

The AFL have created this problem. When they created GWS and GCS they made it easier for players to switch clubs and get paid a lot more money, average players were getting huge contracts. It sped up the environment that we were already heading in with player demands and wanting to change clubs. I feel for GCS because i have nfi how they're going to build the club with the current situation.

They also created Academies (and along with the f/s rule) across the clubs which meant a select few players had the option of not going into the draft and staying in their home state. But this just hasn't been a NSW/Qld thing, Vic clubs have clearly lost out as well. It's human nature for all the other players to look at what's been going on in the last decade and want the same thing, and i agree with them. Why should a select few have the luxury of not going into the draft and at risk of moving to another state just because of their postcode? Players are fully aware that their careers can be very short, so why not try to get the best deal for themselves.

Most clubs have won and lost out because of this new trend, it's not just Vic clubs benefitting, and it's not just the 'go home' factor at play.

The AFL have created this problem. When they created GWS and GCS they made it easier for players to switch clubs and get paid a lot more money, average players were getting huge contracts. It sped up the environment that we were already heading in with player demands and wanting to change clubs. I feel for GCS because i have nfi how they're going to build the club with the current situation.

They also created Academies (and along with the f/s rule) across the clubs which meant a select few players had the option of not going into the draft and staying in their home state. But this just hasn't been a NSW/Qld thing, Vic clubs have clearly lost out as well. It's human nature for all the other players to look at what's been going on in the last decade and want the same thing, and i agree with them. Why should a select few have the luxury of not going into the draft and at risk of moving to another state just because of their postcode? Players are fully aware that their careers can be very short, so why not try to get the best deal for themselves.

Most clubs have won and lost out because of this new trend, it's not just Vic clubs benefitting, and it's not just the 'go home' factor at play.

Players who use the go home factor more than once are the most impressive - Brad Hill prime example, just coincidence that firstly Freo had a massive offer when he was in Victoria and then St Kilda another massive offer when hew as in WA.....🤣

Minimum 4 year rookie contract for 1st round.
2 years for everything else.

Only unrestricted free agency with no compensation.

Players can only choose the state they will move to, not the club.

So if you get drafted pick 18 you are on a 4 year contract with set wages, no matter how well you play.,

I get drafted at pick 19, I kill it and get 600K dollarydoos each for years 3-4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back