Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange article is gone but if true, I really like it.

16 years in AFL when lets be honest, he had no afl traits just got the best out of himself. Extensive leadership experience captain for 5 seasons and leadership groups for many more.

Some pretty big endorsements in the above article. We need more of this sort of attitude in our playing group, hopefully he can rub off on them.

Ameet connection? Lade?

I don’t mind it to be honest. A recently retired player and former captain. These are the sorts of guys that end up making good coaches.
100% agree.

Much prefer we invest in an young and upcoming coach with new and fresh ideas than a coach with 'experience' who hasn't achieved anything.

Strange article is gone but if true, I really like it.

16 years in AFL when lets be honest, he had no afl traits just got the best out of himself. Extensive leadership experience captain for 5 seasons and leadership groups for many more.

Some pretty big endorsements in the above article. We need more of this sort of attitude in our playing group, hopefully he can rub off on them.

has Moz like traits

I want to hate it because **** St Kilda, but... I like it a lot.

Geary certainly got absolutely everything out of himself as a player, and then some. I never particularly rated him but his knowledge of the game, dedication and seemingly leadership were off the charts.

He's got the kinda traits I like in coaches. Where lots here hope Dickson comes back as goal kicking coach, I'd rather a coach who couldn't kick the ball at all but learned to do so over the course of their career. Geary has a lot of this - not flashy, not highly skilled, but found a way to carve out a sensational career in spite of that.

Love it.

‘Player leadership coach’ is an interesting one. From the outside looking in, we have one of the poorest on-field leadership groups in the comp (Bont the exception).

We need to fast track our next gen to take ownership of the leadership side of things.

It’s also interesting that he was working in leadership development in the corporate world to add a different string to his bow.

‘Player leadership coach’ is an interesting one. From the outside looking in, we have one of the poorest on-field leadership groups in the comp (Bont the exception).

We need to fast track our next gen to take ownership of the leadership side of things.
I’m expecting Naughton to be named vice captain for 2024 to progress that.

I want to hate it because * St Kilda, but... I like it a lot.

Geary certainly got absolutely everything out of himself as a player, and then some. I never particularly rated him but his knowledge of the game, dedication and seemingly leadership were off the charts.

He's got the kinda traits I like in coaches. Where lots here hope Dickson comes back as goal kicking coach, I'd rather a coach who couldn't kick the ball at all but learned to do so over the course of their career. Geary has a lot of this - not flashy, not highly skilled, but found a way to carve out a sensational career in spite of that.

Love it.
Preach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article’s gone.

Maybe they are updating it...

One reason I deleted my post because their was no article

It's back again

Article is back up now, looks like a solid appointment Dogs :thumbsu:

Maybe some tweaks as Dogs_R_Us suggested?

Or, chaotic process symptomatic of the club?

Or, Geary was considering a last minute counter-offer from St Kilda, Airport West, corporate employer, or Mrs Geary?

Or Grant/Bains/Beveridge wanted to mess with the minds of BF posters - maybe one/all of them are watching this board/thread right now, looking for trolling opportunities?

My money is on all of the above. I bet Geary was not even the first choice - we were likely rejected by a bevy of big names, offered it to Mrs Geary and she mentioned Mr Geary was open to offers.

This club. My club. Our club.

O Jarryn Geary, o weary weary,
Anoint our club, deary-meary.

It’s also interesting that he was working in leadership development in the corporate world to add a different string to his bow.
Who are our future leaders Naughton, Weightman...?

Who are our future leaders Naughton, Weightman...?
Naughton, Marra, Darcy, Richards are the ones I see as having the strongest leadership traits, but do need some development.

Funnily enough, I actually think Baz has the makings of an exceptional leader and think he seems like the type of person to flourish with extra responsibility - but he needs to sort his own mental demons first.

Egan
Pratt
Geary

Plus more to come.

Surely everyone’s happy with what the club has delivered so far? No Leppitch or Co, but some significant in’s so far.
Certainly decent appointments so far, let's hope that continues. Real happy with Geary in a mentor type role as he was always a blue collar worker with heart. Nothing flashy, just did what needed to be done. Real curious to see what he can bring.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah sounds like the role is a bit more involved than standard development and he sounds perfectly suited on paper to this role.

Really impressed with our additions so far - seems like we’ve actually identified our weaknesses and are actively trying to solve them. Egan to basically support Bev and free him up. Defence badly needed an overhaul, Greary focussed on leadership & a goalkicking coach - both big needs.

We haven’t just replaced the roles coaches in the same roles we actually seem to have put a bit more thought into it. It’s a year late but anyway - good signs, very happy

Naughton, Marra, Darcy, Richards are the ones I see as having the strongest leadership traits, but do need some development.

Funnily enough, I actually think Baz has the makings of an exceptional leader and think he seems like the type of person to flourish with extra responsibility - but he needs to sort his own mental demons first.
Definitely agree with Naughts, Marra, and Richards. Even West has it in him. He showed that in the VFL where he swung games off his own boot and effort. Think Darcy will be one too, but he needs to just concentrate on staying on the park for now.

What we do need though, is some young fringe players to step up this year. Clark, Garcia, Cleary, Jones, Scott, and Poulter all need to be smashing on the door.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mental demons aside, I don't see it at all with Baz.

What qualities does he have to be a leader ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back