Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

He can stay on as "motivator" as long as someone else of AFL coaching standards makes the calls with gameday matchups and adjustments because the opposition keep getting everything they want and the adjustments make our team even worse in game which is why every team goes on crazy runs against us.

Bevo’s brief is exactly why he was great in the first few years and bloody useless to us now. He’s a cuddler, a story teller, awesome, terrific he united the team and it was a great story.

Telling a bunch of players who KNOW they are getting tactically outgunned, who can SEE that not tagging players who rip us apart is a bloody joke, and who almost certainly agree that not making any tactical changes during a game we are getting ripped up in is a sick joke to stick together just won’t cut it. If he hasn’t lost faith in them I’m damn sure they are losing faith in him. It’s a bloody mess.

Bevo out.
BEVO: "A team that we haven't beaten (Geelong) down there in I dunno how long. We all inherited that. But in the nine years I've been here we haven't been able to break it (he says under his breath)" DUDE YOU HAVE HAD NINE YEARS TO RECTIFY THAT! And if memory serves the last time we played there we were up by 3 goals at quarter time...2 goals at half time... then down by six goals at 3 quarter time. SOUND FAMILIAR? Oh that's because the same thing has happened so many times since then it's laughable! That speech was manipulation of the highest order. He is in self preservation mode. Get rid of him or keep doing the same thing over and over again!

Last edited:
There is some talk on here he may stay. This can’t possibly happen. The board was obviously negligent in giving him two extra years, and have opened themselves up for a board challenge because of their incompetence, but they would be doing one mistake after another if we were to still have him as our coach in 2024. It will cost the club way more money than what it will to pay him out. The best marketing and profitability comes with winning and keeping the stars and we ain’t winning nothing and could lose the stars if he remains. I would act this week but the board will wait until the season is officially over…let’s hope they do?

Frankly I'm a bit disgusted by the overreactions to our recent losses, and the calling for Bevo's head just a couple of seasons post our last Grand Final appearance.

What other coach on the market would have a CV even close to Bevo?
It's not just the 2 GF's, Premiership and consistent finals appearances. It's that those achievements occurred at the Bulldogs. Prior to 2016 many of us had begun to despair that we would make a Grand Final in our lifetimes let alone win a Flag. Many good coaches before him tried and failed, some who had great successes at richer and more powerful clubs. If we roll the dice, we may get another great and successful coach straight away, but history suggests the odds are most definitely against it.

For all of the rubbish about us having such a great list, one that Bevo has supposedly under achieved with, perhaps the question should be asked 'why weren't those supposedly great players able to deliver on Sunday?' How about them taking on a bit more responsibility for the loss? It wasn't Bevo out there missing tackles, handballs and shots on goal.

Of course, Bevo has his fair share of flaws, every person and coach does. I understand and share everyone's frustration with the current situation, particularly when it comes to team selection. However, we need to consider the whole package, because there are a lot of positives that more than offset those flaws that people seem to be fed up with.

People also seem to forget that we lost 2 top tier players from last year's team in Dunkley and Hunter. Players of that level don't grow on trees and take time to replace. We are still to receive some of our compensation for last year's trading in this year's draft. On top of those losses we have had more than our fair share of bad luck with injury this year.
We have also had some very up and down performances from some of our most talented young players, but that happens with young players. We sometimes need to give as much patience to a 3rd or 5th year player going through a rough patch as we show for a 1st year rookie.

If we show a similar level of patience with our coach as we would like to see him show some our favourite players when they are going through a tough patch, then we may end up being rewarded in the future.

I hope that Bevo and Granty are true to their word and weather the current storm.

Bevo's coaching story could still have a successful third act left in it, and if it does, I'd much prefer it to occur at the Bulldogs.

I totally agree that our list is way over rated and injuries have crueled us. But you still need to be able to get up and win in circumstances like the last 2 weeks.The players are fragile and with a couple of exceptions are way too nice - the coach can influence that. Any chance they could get angry? Why weren’t they angry this week after the hawks loss? If they were they certainly didn’t show it in the first qtr of the eagles game. The reality is if they had have flown out the blocks the eagles would have folded. They had been starting well in games for most of the year - you know, that script that plays out every week.

This time they didn’t - they have given up.The coach has to be accountable for that, as much as I loved the bloke.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The club will borderline have lost me if they keep Bevo on. I’ll still support but it’ll be from a distance.

The time to clear out the assistants and bring in fresh blood was last season. We didn’t and now we’re in the predicament we’re in. To me, it’s too far gone to repair. It’s seeming like the board and power brokers are reactive and 12 months behind where they need to be.

The club backed Bevo in this season. It didn’t work. It’s time to move on before it becomes too late and more star players request out. I mean we have three premiership players in their primes playing for other finals teams. Every player we’ve lost has unique circumstances but at some point there’s an underlying pattern here.

Last edited:
The fractured playing group is a worry, coupled with the apparent ultimatums being made.

I wonder if this comes down to a few players with suggested big offers elsewhere being made to them and their heads possibly being turned, which has lead to significant drops in form. Looking at Naughton, Baz & English here.

To me, this sounds like there are some “are you in or are you out?” conversations being had & maybe not being too far off being forced to blow up the list & sitting in the bottom half of the competition again for a while. Clubs with these issues can’t attract the proven talent needed to bridge the gap to top 4, which is why I’m pissed if we didn’t go hard enough when we were clearly in the premiership window which is suddenly closing rapidly if more key players leave.

Update on yesterdays update.

Clarifying edit from message received from someone connected to a player “Playing group is fractured against the football department / management, not with each other. Players want Grant and Ameet gone” This is sparked from the treatment of Rohan Smith (22/08/23)

Looking at the west coast game it appeared to be a fractured group not playing for one another or the coach.

Subsequently if the group has checked out we should be expecting a significant loss +80 points.

I’ve expected big losses like this before under bevo and been shown up.

This one feels different though, especially against our bogey side down at Geelong.

If we do win I will expect bevo to stay with a complete reshuffle or support. A heavy defeat and his position is untenable (I want him gone either way).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarifying edit from message received from someone connected to a player “Playing group is fractured against the football department / management, not with each other. Players want Grant and Ameet gone” This is sparked from the treatment of Rohan Smith (22/08/23)
Is there a view on bevo from the playing group?

Perhaps yesterday's loss was a ploy by Bevo to get the team up for a surprise win in Geelong on Saturday. That would break his losing streak there and launch us into the Finals!

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Are people forgetting that even if we win we have to rely on gws vs Carl game. Cats will belt us anyway. We would have trouble beating u18s side.

If the club is too gutless to sack Beveridge, then we need to bring in the best available assistant coach to be effectively senior coach in waiting. This senior assistant would be responsible for gameplay and tactics.

The 'Malthouse - Buckley' model has its issues, but it's a lot better than the status quo.
And Buckley would do fine. I could get behind him.

Is there a view on bevo from the playing group?
Only going on what Bont said yesterday.

Full support, although his body language when asked that question (looked down, hesitated, no eye contact) leads me to think it isn’t entirely “full”

If the club is too gutless to sack Beveridge, then we need to bring in the best available assistant coach to be effectively senior coach in waiting. This senior assistant would be responsible for gameplay and tactics.

The 'Malthouse - Buckley' model has its issues, but it's a lot better than the status quo.

I thought we heard earlier days that this is what the club is planning to do, keep Bevo to use his relationship and motivation skills with the players and assistant coaches for match day strategies etc.

I thought we heard earlier days that this is what the club is planning to do, keep Bevo to use his relationship and motivation skills with the players and assistant coaches for match day strategies etc.
But isn’t their mentions that assistants don’t want to work for him so if true getting these people in will be extremely difficult

But isn’t their mentions that assistants don’t want to work for him so if true getting these people in will be extremely difficult

Watch this space Bevo isnt going anywhere in 2024. but it will ne a big meeting first training session in 2024 as there will be lots of new introductions regarding new football staff around him :)

which would have been partly fuelled by Bevo defending his mate, and the timing suggests that explains the WC performance

This does not surprise me at all.

One problem with the ‘the buck stops with the coach’ ethos is that it allows others to hide and escape criticism.

It might be the current stench is not of Bevo’s making, in which case replacing him will just set the next one up for failure.

We’ve seen the tail wag the dog at the club before so I’d be careful before doing whatever the players want, but what I’d hope is that we get to the root of the actual problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back