Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a few additions could build us back to a reimagined high quality team in a couple years maybe.

Ultimately the road to that may involve a coaching change because people like you are deluded enough to think we could do better sooner. That’s fine.

The funny thing is if anyone thinks THIS list management and footy department can pull off those additions they’re bloody mad!

I think people think I’m obsessed with keeping Bevo. I’m not, I see where this is going and he probably won’t survive it. I don’t think he’s perfect. I just think people have fallen in love with what could’ve been if our list didn’t rapidly become mediocre due to poor drafting of ground ball players. Considering how shallow we’ve been since 2017 I think we’ve performed fine on field. We all wanted the club to be good enough to build a flag side around that special young flag core but we weren’t a good enough organisation to do it. Yep, some of that blame goes to Bevo

Thinking a list with:

Bont
Libba
Naughton
JUH
Macrae
B Smith
L Jones
Richards
JJ
Treloar
English
Dale
Daniel
Weightman

Could do better than 9th place isn't delusion at all.

Some of us don't accept mediocrity like yourself

Dale has shown he can be an elite half back, Weightman is around a 2 goal a game small forward with easily fixable flaws, Darcy is one of the best prospects I've seen arrive at the club and can provide a big upside to the team if he's playing regularly, JJ is still a very good half back when he's available. Macrae, Daniel and Smith were never settled this year and played like it, all three have dominated finals and have no reason they can't be significantly better players next year. Every good team has role players who don't have much talent but get the job done, I can't think of one them in the team this year which comes down to poor coaching.
Oh yeh bevo put dale back didn’t he. Good coaching that.

So you’ve added dale and Weightman to my list. They’re good players sure. I think they’ve performed to expectations maybe even above under bevo.

You haven’t rounded out a thrilling core good enough to make up for a disastrous bottom end.

You’re clutching a Darcy ffs. That’s embarrassing.

There might be some issues with the coaching department and drilling of our squad but you’re exaggerating massively. You’ve overrated our list

This is our “fantastic core”

Bont and libba who absolutely rock. Bont can barely sustain a season in the role he’s being asked to though.

Jamarra and Naughton who do everything right that’s coachable they just are shithouse goal kickers

English and Lobb are a fine ruck division without being inspiring. I’ve always preferred nankervis types for meaningful games.

Jones and richards. Bloody guns that both got injured this year. Jones will continue to get injured because of his maniacal style. Our backline when healthy early in the year was incredible and coached very well after being a big weakness last year.

So who else is the core? Macrae can’t get near anybody in a clearance which was his career strength. He’s a shadow of himself.

Treloar is a terrific one way midfielder but can’t defend to save his life.

Baz is worse defensively and sure he was off the boil this year.

Sounds like the makings of a mediocre list with some alluring talent but far from convincing enough to carry the god awful lower end
After this seasons AA selections we will have 6 recent AAs in the side. Outside of them we have two super exciting gun young key forwards and a great young small forward, one of the better 2nd ruck/fwds in the league, a great full back and a gun medium defender. One of the best young mids in the game prior to this season & another very good experienced one in Treloar. Solid role players in West, Williams, Doc, JJ.

That’s a pretty flipping solid starting 18 mate, the fact they’ve underperformed dramatically is on the coaches. There’s a few holes sure but you’re kidding yourself if you think that core of a side isn’t a finals side.

Absolutely kidding yourself

As much as I respect Bevo I just want him to move on. If we don't address this we can't expect a different outcome......
We don't want a small club mentality anymore and we shouldn't tolerate being happy plodders. Yield to none? Except we yield to mediocrity.

Last edited:
A
What’s the most coaching changes a club has experienced in one season? With Smith confirmed out, and Webb/Spangher all but confirmed out, sacking Bevo would leave Lade as our only line coach left (with the option of moving Edge to a line coaching role too). 3 assistants and the senior seems excessive, even if justified.
Assistant are suppose to know by august. Webb and spangher are still there

Thinking a list with:

Bont
Libba
Naughton
JUH
Macrae
B Smith
L Jones
Richards
JJ
Treloar
English
Dale
Daniel
Weightman

Could do better than 9th place isn't delusion at all.

Some of us don't accept mediocrity like yourself
I’ve addressed this.

Bont Libba great.

JUH Naughton, very good but fundamentally kicked away our season basically nullifying any “underperformance” argument you want to mount against the coach.

Macrae is not what he was.

Baz had a stagnation year, looking at many of these other guys that’s a bit of an anomaly. A sad one.

Treloar is fine. Good one way player. Can’t tackle. No one on our team can apart from Bont, Libba and West.

Jones, Richards and JJ all injured this year basically why we finished where we did.

Dale is fine. One way player, too much on his plate when JJ isn’t playing.

Daniel is yet another one way player. Catching a theme here?

I can’t believe I’m getting these lists of good players, half of which were injured or kicking points, most of which are super flawed and people are making it out like we have this special list

After this seasons AA selections we will have 6 recent AAs in the side. Outside of them we have two super exciting gun young key forwards and a great young small forward, one of the better 2nd ruck/fwds in the league, a great full back and a gun medium defender. One of the best young mids in the game prior to this season & another very good experienced one in Treloar. Solid role players in West, Williams, Doc, JJ.

That’s a pretty *ing solid starting 18 mate, the fact they’ve underperformed dramatically is on the coaches. There’s a few holes sure but you’re kidding yourself if you think that core of a side isn’t a finals side.

It is a solid starting 18. We were really good when they were on the park.

Problem is you can’t rely on that especially with the flaws all of those players have.

You’re kidding yourself.

Sure if we had no injuries we’d have finished higher. That’s unlikely!

I’ve addressed this.

Bont Libba great.

JUH Naughton, very good but fundamentally kicked away our season basically nullifying any “underperformance” argument you want to mount against the coach.

Macrae is not what he was.

Baz had a stagnation year, looking at many of these other guys that’s a bit of an anomaly. A sad one.

Treloar is fine. Good one way player. Can’t tackle. No one on our team can apart from Bont, Libba and West.

Jones, Richards and JJ all injured this year basically why we finished where we did.

Dale is fine. One way player, too much on his plate when JJ isn’t playing.

Daniel is yet another one way player. Catching a theme here?

I can’t believe I’m getting these lists of good players, half of which were injured or kicking points, most of which are super flawed and people are making it out like we have this special list

Who is saying that it is a special list?

From what I've seen everyone is saying it is a better list than 9th. A list that the coach is obviously not getting best out of.

I feel like the club just has their head up their ass and genuinely has no idea how many members are finished with Bev, they love him and probably think we all do too.

In all seriousness someone who can be ****ed should start a petition to send to the club that everyone can sign so they can get a real understanding of how disillusioned the supporters are right now.

Honestly would tick over 10k signatures pretty easily and quickly I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a solid starting 18. We were really good when they were on the park.

Problem is you can’t rely on that especially with the flaws all of those players have.

You’re kidding yourself.

Sure if we had no injuries we’d have finished higher. That’s unlikely!
Yeah I’m done with this conversation, but there’s a reason so many players haven’t improved on their flaws and have gone backwards. That’s on the coaching setup to get the best out of the list at their disposal, which we have not done.

That’s literally all there is to say on the matter

This is list might be overrated but it's a better list than finishing 9th place.

Easy to make excuses - our list shouldn't be bad enough to lose to Hawks and WCE.
No it isn't.

By my reckoning the side was once again carried by the usual suspects all season.

Take last nights team for example. In my view the guys highlighted in red have no business being considered for a genuine top 8 side. Let alone one with genuine premiership aspirations.

Indeed, I doubt any of them would get a game with one.

The guys in Green are completely out of form and have not been far from being considered liabilities to the side for weeks now.

JO'D gets a pass given where he's come from and the promise he shows. But we're asking a lot of him when we shouldn't be.

Besides those on the fringes who are for the most part untried and the sure thing of Darcy. There isn't a lot of quality to come back into the side.

We have Macrae who whist still a consistent workhorse. He's a minister without portfolio and just isn't the damaging player he once was and his return isn't going to do much to address the glaring issues apparent in our side.

There's JJ. But the amount of soft tissue injuries that he has sustained over the past few years doesn't bode well for a guy who's athleticism is his weapon.
As much as we desperately need his run carry and poise. I dont think we can rely upon it.

Then there's Bailey Smith...Hes currently A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma surrounded by trade talk.

Thats it.

We've built a reasonably strong spine, but the quality of our half forward flankers and wings leaves a lot to be desired.

Those are positions currently being filled by guys that are highlighted in red and green. And it shows.

We will remain an 8 (because of an elite top end) - 12 (because of everybody else) side.

I said at the half way point of the season that this list has the stink of a Footscray side of old about it.

Just in reverses where our strength is centred on our talls and a few elite but aging ball winners.

Its All Jam. No Olympic Donut.

Its time to understand that this side needs to be gutted and we need somebody else to do it.

Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 9.23.09 pm.jpg

Last edited:
The period from 2016 to now has been really poor when you look at it in totality.

Missing finals in 2017 & 2018 after winning a flag is embarrassing.

2019 could have been a great year but don’t forget we only made finals due to a massive run home, and then got smashed in a final where we were favourites.

2020, 2022 and 2023 we were so average. You can’t even say we under performed - there is enough evidence now to suggest this is our level.

Unfortunately 2021 looks like an outlier. Even that had failings - dropping out of top 4 and absolutely smashed in the GF.

And now we are in a position where we are having top line players requests trades/ speculation around it.

I don’t see how any administration can look at that record of 7 years and not have alarm bells ringing.

The period from 2016 to now has been really poor when you look at it in totality.

Missing finals in 2017 & 2018 after winning a flag is embarrassing.

2019 could have been a great year but don’t forget we only made finals due to a massive run home, and then got smashed in a final where we were favourites.

2020, 2022 and 2023 we were so average. You can’t even say we under performed - there is enough evidence now to suggest this is our level.

Unfortunately 2021 looks like an outlier. Even that had failings - dropping out of top 4 and absolutely smashed in the GF.

And now we are in a position where we are having top line players requests trades/ speculation around it.

I don’t see how any administration can look at that record of 7 years and not have alarm bells ringing.

The fact that we’ve played like dogshit for huge chunks of the last two seasons should be enough

Oh yeh bevo put dale back didn’t he. Good coaching that.

So you’ve added dale and Weightman to my list. They’re good players sure. I think they’ve performed to expectations maybe even above under bevo.

You haven’t rounded out a thrilling core good enough to make up for a disastrous bottom end.

You’re clutching a Darcy ffs. That’s embarrassing.

Inside the four walls of the club its pretty consensus that we have a very strong list. Not only have those words been uttered publicly but its reflected by an extremely aggressive trade strategy where we have topped up for basically the past 3 seasons. Particularly with bookends in Bruce, Keath, Lobb, Jones and also bolstered the midfield. Bear in mind thats being absolutely blessed with pick 1 and pick 2 in consecutive seasons and generally nailing our first round picks for the past decade.

The list has performed badly under expectations. 2021 we were top 2 basically all year until we fell apart in the last 3 rounds. Then played like a top 2 team for the first 3 finals and till about halfway through the 3rd of a grand final.

That’s a pretty *ing solid starting 18 mate, the fact they’ve underperformed dramatically is on the coaches. There’s a few holes sure but you’re kidding yourself if you think that core of a side isn’t a finals side.

it’s a cult. The only explanation for the haughty defence of a man who has absolutely ****ed us these past two seasons, this year in a really outstanding manner.

No fair minded person is looking at it and thinking he is the right man for the job at this point. Its madness.

Last night they were all doing victory dances, exulting their Mastermind for his masterpiece against Geelong’s VFL team, banishing the haters, having been vindicated in glorious fashion for their unwavering belief.

I’d be OK if it was just fans who had decided to sniff The bloke’s jock strap as if it were a holy relic, but there are people in the club and on the board who revere him at that level too. They’re ****ed and they are dragging us all down with him.

Yeah I’m done with this conversation, but there’s a reason so many players haven’t improved on their flaws and have gone backwards. That’s on the coaching setup to get the best out of the list at their disposal, which we have not done.

That’s literally all there is to say on the matter
Like what?

Daniel has maximised on fixing his weaknesses

Baz is young, and could develop in an evolving midfield that we’ve only recently seen needs to evolve because it’s had such a strong hole

I don’t disagree there are coaching evolutions that could take place, like creating run out goals the way other teams do. But we haven’t had cattle that could cover the ground before this year.

I have sensed a big issue for you is that we barrage inside 50s and other teams can dam wall us to some extent and eventually beat us due to better inside 50 conversion.

There’s not much you can do when your best performing mids are one paced handball heavy guys and you still tend to win when you win territory games. Ultimately that is going to be a flaw that we need to transition out of and it ain’t happening next year.

Great to see West play okay in the guts yesterday though

371766703_319794163948915_647355519851031398_n.jpg

Bonus:

370674015_10161614160502754_5945082486578139253_n.jpg

Inside the four walls of the club its pretty consensus that we have a very strong list. Not only have those words been uttered publicly but its reflected by an extremely aggressive trade strategy where we have topped up for basically the past 3 seasons. Particularly with bookends in Bruce, Keath, Lobb, Jones and also bolstered the midfield. Bear in mind thats being absolutely blessed with pick 1 and pick 2 in consecutive seasons and generally nailing our first round picks for the past decade.

The list has performed badly under expectations. 2021 we were top 2 basically all year until we fell apart in the last 3 rounds. Then played like a top 2 team for the first 3 finals and till about halfway through the 3rd of a grand final.
I agree we’ve underperformed the last two years. Last year got a mulligan due to track record. This year we were injured in all the wrong areas and really hit a cliff. That’s the reality of the situation. You can look for a scape goat or admit you have to transition the list again

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back