Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately that means that the game has moved past Macrae and Daniel. Its a long season and they have a role to play yet its a small role at best. Thats just footy, happened to Wally a few years back will happen to more. Dale and Williams aren't far behind and need to find form.

I for one is excited at where the team is heading.
I think both can play some good football this year - I'm still not sure we rotate enough through the centre, and if we consider how good Libba and Bont were last game it did come off the back of Libba getting subbed early and Bont spending a lot of time forward the week before. It does show we can manage our 'stars' a little more and add a bit of variety to our CBAs.

Macrae can play that Libba/Bont insid(ish) role and rotate in the middle to give them a little less time in the centre to manage their season a bit better.

To a lot of posters on here, this rejuvenation of the playing list, game plan is long overdue. Richmond took our manic pressure of 2016, added flooding back into defense and turnover, hard running forwards. The best coaches since have copied that, Macrae and Kingsley (ex Richmond).
Yet, we stuck with our flip it around, wax the possession count, territory game. It was old, it beat the bottom times, got us close against the middle yet we lost against the best of the best.

Finally our coaches have seen the light, Stagnate slow ball moment is out. Pressure, speed, covering space quickly in defense and precision at speed going forward from defensive is king.

Unfortunately that means that the game has moved past Macrae and Daniel. Its a long season and they have a role to play yet its a small role at best. Thats just footy, happened to Wally a few years back will happen to more. Dale and Williams aren't far behind and need to find form.

I for one is excited at where the team is heading.
That's all very well and good if we end up seeing those changes but after 4 games I've seen nothing with the possible exception of fitness levels that suggests to me that anything significant has changed.

Bont, Libba and Treloar are taking roughly the same number of CBAs as last year, Jamarra is still the lowest-rated key forward for accuracy and we are still getting scored heavily off forward half turnovers. The number of times Geelong had multiple players free in the F50 last week was no different to what's been our biggest issue over the last two years, we just cannot defend in the forward half of the ground.

We spruiked the entire off-season about how everything would be different and that we recruited for that and yet we could not have a put-up a worse R1 performance if we tried and for Beveridge to say in the press conference just last week that it was a hot day and we didn't handle the conditions well is just insulting, it clearly wasn't an issue for Melbourne.

Yes, we then played very well against Gold Coast but their form fluctuates significantly and then we played arguably the worst team of the century in West Coast, so it's hard to gauge exactly how good we were. Geelong was coming off a five-day break and a wet game that was stopped for 30+ minutes and even though we eventually broke them down in that 4th quarter we managed to score just 3 goals in that last quarter.

I find it amusing that with all the talk regarding the future of Macrae and to a lesser extent Daniel, in our 2 losses Macrae was absent for the first and played just 30 minutes in the second.

Again I'm not saying Macrae and Daniel should be the first players picked and of course it's great seeing new talent come into the side but perhaps the issue isn't so much the selection or lack of selection of the likes of Macrae and Daniel but actually a much simpler issue in that we are still yet to address the serious concerns of being scored against heavily off forward half turnovers, missing easy set shots for goal and not exclusively relying on Bont, Libba and Trelaor in the centre, it didn't work last year and hasn't so far this year.

Last edited:
That's all very well and good if we end up seeing those changes but after 4 games I've seen nothing with the possible exception of fitness levels that suggests to me that anything significant has changed.

Bont, Libba and Treloar are taking roughly the same number of CBAs as last year, Jamarra is still the lowest-rated key forward for accuracy and we are still getting scored heavily off forward half turnovers. The number of times Geelong had multiple players free in the F50 last week was no different to what's been our biggest issue over the last two years, we just cannot defend in the forward half of the ground.

We spruiked the entire off-season about how everything would be different and that we recruited for that and yet we could not have a put-up a worse R1 performance if we tried and for Beveridge to say in the press conference just last week that it was a hot day and we didn't handle the conditions well is just insulting, it clearly wasn't an issue for Melbourne.

Yes, we then played very well against Gold Coast but their form fluctuates significantly and then we played arguably the worst team of the century in West Coast, so it's hard to gauge exactly how good we were. Geelong was coming off a five-day break and a wet game that was stopped for 30+ minutes and even though we eventually broke them down in that 4th quarter we managed to score just 3 goals in that last quarter.

I find it amusing that with all the talk regarding the future of Macrae and to a lesser extent Daniel, in our 2 losses Macrae was absent for the first and played just 30 minutes in the second.

Again I'm not saying Macrae and Daniel should be the first players picked and of course it's great seeing new talent come into the side but perhaps the issue isn't so much the selection or lack of selection of the likes of Macrae and Daniel but actually a much simpler issue in that we are still yet to address the serious concerns of being scored against heavily off forward half turnovers, missing easy set shots for goal and not exclusively relying on Bont, Libba and Trelaor in the centre, it didn't work last year and hasn't so far this year.
Some good points, agreed with forward half turnovers. We are currently playing 1 tall too many up forward. I'm a Naughton back man, or at least it needs to be tried with JUH, Dacry and Weightman playing lead up forwards. You only need two key forwards or once the turnover happens its goal city. We need even more pressure forwards and gut runners. Our midfield need to work harder in defense as well. Our talented midfield was carved up plenty of times last year. A main reason was not getting back, covering the space like the good teams like Melbourne do. Look at the first game, the way Melbourne clogged us up. You just wont get that with Macrae, Daniel and even Treloar. We could not keep going with the same manpower, we needed new blood as Bevo is finally on the right track (a few years too late). Its not going to happen straight away but for me its the right direction. I agree we should not rely on the big 3 as much in the CB. The 3 of them all have the ability to rest forward more. Geelong are well drilled, we are not there yet, but I think we are on track for a good year and definitely better then the last two. Time will time, yet we need to embrace the change.

Last edited:

Many/all of the issues that culminate in the opposition skating out of our fwd 50 are intertwined.

The biggest one for me is how we go I50 and who goes I50 but that can't be separated from how those players receive the ball, under what circumstances and how the forwards present.

We dump kick a lot from clearances and those kicks inevitably hang long enough and are inaccurate enough to be contested by a pack of players in a congested but fluid situation.

We are not blessed with anywhere near enough players with the ability to burst from a stoppage and create an overlap. By and large, it's one less factor the opposition have to consider. They can surround us at stoppages forcing us to handball to an outnumber or dump kick. It's quite predictable really...for everyone.

That clearance cycle needs to be broken somehow in a way that a first or second receiver can mark the ball and we can spread, go I50 or hand off to a runner coming through. Too many handball chains from source simply move the problem sideways until it breaks down or we dump kick.

Ultimately, if we can go I50 to our advantage more often, defence is less of an issue because we're probably marking I50 more often and having set shots. Hit and it's 6 points and back to the middle. Miss and everybody's set for the kick in and we're better equipped to keep it down there.

• how we clear it
  • to whom do we clear it
  • how do we go I50
  • who goes I50
  • how the fwds present
Where to start

Anybody else think that our skill level under pressure isn’t good enough (to be a top team) ?

I watch Melbourne in comparison and they are really good when under immense pressure. Their handball skills are elite and rarely turn the ball over with hands.

When I watch us we misfire handballs , loopy and slow when tackled. Kicks arnt pinpoint and over the heads of leading players.
Geelong's hands were utterly elite last weekend. The amount of times they, after being under serious pressure, had the vision to find and execute a high degree of difficulty handball which realeased someone into open space was insane.

We on the flip side seem to find a way to get the final receiver into trouble - we're mid-table when it comes to clean hands, despite having a couple of the best handballers of the modern era (Libba and Bont).

I don't know if it was deliberate, but I think one of the biggest mistakes we made was letting the cat out of the bag with the handball club in 2015/2016. Should have done our best to keep it in house and doubled down after the premiership. Instead it seems not only did we have Luke Darcy yelling from the rooftops as lead commentator on Ch7 every Saturday/Sunday "they have this thing called handball club! And boy, look at the reults!", but after 2016, it seemed to be a case of "well that worked, what's the next thing/idea that we can move on to?".

We got GWS’ fitness guy for this year and GWS were insanely fit last year, so surely can’t be fitness?
Their fitness seemed to really come to the fore late season.

They were bottom four half way through the season (2 games and 30 percentage points out of the 8), and were one of the few other teams to lose to West Coast.

If we follow a similar trajectory where we're as fit as they were in the finals last year, I think we'll be ecstatic. But there's a probably a hundred plus different inputs that combine/contribute to that final output, so there's no guarantees.

Geelong's hands were utterly elite last weekend. The amount of times they, after being under serious pressure, had the vision to find and execute a high degree of difficulty handball which realeased someone into open space was insane.

We on the flip side seem to find a way to get the final receiver into trouble - we're mid-table when it comes to clean hands, despite having a couple of the best handballers of the modern era (Libba and Bont).

Riley Sanders is an asset in this area. It could be his greatest strength.

Many/all of the issues that culminate in the opposition skating out of our fwd 50 are intertwined.

The biggest one for me is how we go I50 and who goes I50 but that can't be separated from how those players receive the ball, under what circumstances and how the forwards present.

We dump kick a lot from clearances and those kicks inevitably hang long enough and are inaccurate enough to be contested by a pack of players in a congested but fluid situation.

We are not blessed with anywhere near enough players with the ability to burst from a stoppage and create an overlap. By and large, it's one less factor the opposition have to consider. They can surround us at stoppages forcing us to handball to an outnumber or dump kick. It's quite predictable really...for everyone.

That clearance cycle needs to be broken somehow in a way that a first or second receiver can mark the ball and we can spread, go I50 or hand off to a runner coming through. Too many handball chains from source simply move the problem sideways until it breaks down or we dump kick.

Ultimately, if we can go I50 to our advantage more often, defence is less of an issue because we're probably marking I50 more often and having set shots. Hit and it's 6 points and back to the middle. Miss and everybody's set for the kick in and we're better equipped to keep it down there.

• how we clear it
  • to whom do we clear it
  • how do we go I50
  • who goes I50
  • how the fwds present
Where to start
I reckon the chaos ball is an underused tactic when a side finds its i50s being picked off regularly by the likes of Taylor, May and Stewart.

I don't know if it was deliberate, but I think one of the biggest mistakes we made was letting the cat out of the bag with the handball club in 2015/2016. Should have done our best to keep it in house and doubled down after the premiership. Instead it seems not only did we have Luke Darcy yelling from the rooftops as lead commentator on Ch7 every Saturday/Sunday "they have this thing called handball club! And boy, look at the reults!", but after 2016, it seemed to be a case of "well that worked, what's the next thing/idea that we can move on to?".

screw the handball club and its stationary, ring-a-rosy clearances.

I reckon the chaos ball is an underused tactic when a side finds its i50s being picked off regularly by the likes of Taylor, May and Stewart.
Totally agree. It defies logic to keep giving those players the opportunity to do what they do best. A well placed worm burning scrubber will get them out their comfort zones and down and dirty on the ground where some of ours like to be. In that scenario, a stoppage I50 at least would seem more likely than the quick turnover and rebound we seem serve up at the moment.

Consistently good teams like Geelong, Melbourne, Collingwood for example have strong systems and belief in those systems.

When things are not going well, the majority of times it is them going away from those systems. They rarely change things, they merely go back and double down on executing their system.

We will not become a genuine top 4 challenger until we have systems that stand up under pressure that we can go back to if we go away from the system that we know works well and we trust.

There is a change in our system this year. Too early to just whether it is one that can stand up be trusted, we will not know this until the second half of the year and in the meantime it will be tweaked. The next 6 weeks are critical for our season in bedding down the system whilst winning games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consistently good teams like Geelong, Melbourne, Collingwood for example have strong systems and belief in those systems.

When things are not going well, the majority of times it is them going away from those systems. They rarely change things, they merely go back and double down on executing their system.

We will not become a genuine top 4 challenger until we have systems that stand up under pressure that we can go back to if we go away from the system that we know works well and we trust.

There is a change in our system this year. Too early to just whether it is one that can stand up be trusted, we will not know this until the second half of the year and in the meantime it will be tweaked. The next 6 weeks are critical for our season in bedding down the system whilst winning games
Well the system is under a fair bit of pressure now that it cannot cope with a bog ordinary team.

I think it's time

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The signs are all there for me that this coach is now done.

1. The team never ever looks properly fired up. He can’t get them pumped.

Round 1 every year it is the coaches job to have a team primed jumping out of their skin, manic energy, ready to go. Look at what we dish up every year for round 1.

2. We can’t beat good teams or win big games - this is a sure fire sign that a team isn’t playing for the coach.

We have enough raw talent to beat bad teams and we do beat them - beating bad teams doesn’t rely on a huge effort or everyone being on the same page.

Beating good teams relies on everything going right, and it requires players to really be playing for the coach.

3. The players look really lost about where they’re meant to be on the field.

Not sure if they’re meant to go fast or slow. Not sure why they’re all in each other’s way in the fwd line. Not sure whether they’re a hand balling team or a kicking team now.

They look most unsure about how to stop an opposition run on.

4. Hunger is gone - a great example of this is Ross Lyon at the saints - for all his flaws he currently has a very average list playing with great hunger.

They smother, get from contest to contest. Tackle in packs. Man the mark emphatically. Spoil. Back each other up.

We on the other hand are full of talent but now play with zero hunger and heart.

5. The general vibe is off - I listen to a lot of press conferences and media appearances etc, and dogs players really just don’t have anything much to say about Bevvo.

This contrasts greatly to his first few years where all the players wanted to talk about was how nice it was to have this coach who encouraged them to play freely, inspired them etc. that’s all gone now.

Early rumblings of a higher up meeting next week due to this game
My phone is red hot but I'm not willing to post anything just yet.

I did see a certain board member after the game heading down to the rooms. To say that he looked unhappy would be a gigantic understatement.

My phone is red hot but I'm not willing to post anything just yet.

I did see a certain board member after the game heading down to the rooms. To say that he looked unhappy would be a gigantic understatement.
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

The signs are all there for me that this coach is now done.

1. The team never ever looks properly fired up. He can’t get them pumped.

Round 1 every year it is the coaches job to have a team primed jumping out of their skin, manic energy, ready to go. Look at what we dish up every year for round 1.

2. We can’t beat good teams or win big games - this is a sure fire sign that a team isn’t playing for the coach.

We have enough raw talent to beat bad teams and we do beat them - beating bad teams doesn’t rely on a huge effort or everyone being on the same page.

Beating good teams relies on everything going right, and it requires players to really be playing for the coach.

3. The players look really lost about where they’re meant to be on the field.

Not sure if they’re meant to go fast or slow. Not sure why they’re all in each other’s way in the fwd line. Not sure whether they’re a hand balling team or a kicking team now.

They look most unsure about how to stop an opposition run on.

4. Hunger is gone - a great example of this is Ross Lyon at the saints - for all his flaws he currently has a very average list playing with great hunger.

They smother, get from contest to contest. Tackle in packs. Man the mark emphatically. Spoil. Back each other up.

We on the other hand are full of talent but now play with zero hunger and heart.

5. The general vibe is off - I listen to a lot of press conferences and media appearances etc, and dogs players really just don’t have anything much to say about Bevvo.

This contrasts greatly to his first few years where all the players wanted to talk about was how nice it was to have this coach who encouraged them to play freely, inspired them etc. that’s all gone now.
All true, but this was also the case after the West Coast loss, yet we did nothing.

Now seemingly wasted year coming up as a result.

Should have went after last season’s deplorable performance at the end. Because he gave us such a high 8 years ago we thought we could give him one more opportunity. I’ve seen nothing this year, even those two wins against nobodies, that has really changed. Bizarre selection for 7 years now and this year as bad as ever if not worse.

We have lacked integrity as a football side for a very long time

The lack on integrity stems from the board, football department and coaches

The longer things stay the same the longer it takes for that integrity to comeback and the more damage is done.

Change is needed ASAP but I fear no one at the club has the ability to do it especially at board level

Who will stand up to challenge and change

And It's been a while
Since we could hold our heads up high
And it's been a while
Since Bevo first walked in
And it's been a while
Since we could sing our song with gusto
And it's been a while
Since we weren't boring

And all those wins we can't remember
As ****ed up as our gamestyle seems
The consequences of our missed shots
Bev's stretched himself beyond his means

And it's been a while
Since I could say that I wasn't disappointed
And it's been a while
Since I could say I loved this team as well and
And it's been a while
Since we've gone and shit the bed just like we always do
And it's been a while
But all that shit wasn't fixed by an offseason review

And it's been awhile
Since our forwards could kick straight
And it's been awhile
Since I wasn't worried
And it's been awhile
Since I've seen a smile creep over Bonti's face
And it's been awhile
But I can still remember how real victories taste

And It's been a while
Since we could hold our heads up high
And it's been a while
Since Bevo first walked in

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back