Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough, this season is (was) also clearly Bont's best season goalkicing accuracy wise.

He was 22.6 a month ago but has followed that up with a very poor month going 3.9.
It’s his set shot from < 30m that needs work. He should be converting at least 80% of those. Feels like it’s about 30%!

Nearly always misses left so it should be an easy fix.

It’s his set shot from < 30m that needs work. He should be converting at least 80% of those. Feels like it’s about 30%!

Nearly always misses left so it should be an easy fix.
Seems like he is aiming for the goals, therefore he is not kicking through the football, if this is the case it could be something as simple as identifying something behind the goals to kick through ball ensuring his alignment and weight are all in the right direction when he impacts the football

Im waiting for geelong at geelong. bev has been a long time burning my bridge, and its going to take something more tangible to win me back.

everyone should be 'up' for that game, and we should have a pretty full list to choose from (fingers crossed).

no excuses. show us what we learned. I want to see Scott in the coaches interview after the game looking like he just sucked on a lemon filled with shit.

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 11.41.55 am.png

chefs kiss

Last edited:
I think I can pretty much bank my Bigfooty account on that Bevo and the coaching staff will stay on next year

Dogs viewed a couple of injuries this year as big reasons why we dropped so early and Bevo has also been told to stop tinkering as much (classic early-season moves)

I still think we will land another development coach in the off-season

I mentioned in the trade thread but Dogs have big plans over the next three years in terms of trades and Free Agent

The opening of the new Whitten Oval will be a big factor in now chasing the top-tier coaches and players

Salary is looking extremely strong over the next 5 years, so plenty of room to fill in gaps

Edit: I've been saying since start of the year, it's always been in Bevo hands on his coaching future

Last edited:
I think I can pretty much bank my Bigfooty account on that Bevo and the coaching staff will stay on next year

Dogs viewed a couple of injuries this year as big reasons why we dropped so early and Bevo has also been told to stop tinkering as much (classic early-season moves)

I mentioned in the trade thread but Dogs have big plans over the next three years in terms of trades and Free Agent

The opening of the new Whitten Oval will be a big factor in now chasing the top-tier coaches and players

Salary is looking extremely strong over the next 5 years, so plenty of room to fill in gaps

Edit: I've been saying since start of the year, it's always been in Bevo hands on his coaching future
I've also posted similar on the list management thread.

My dream signing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A number of commentators were saying that Dean Cox is the best candidate for the WCE senior coaching position. I know he has turned it down but I was wondering how people outside the club can assess this. Is it just ladder position ( couldn’t this be due to the senior coach or the other assistants), is it word of mouth ( would senior coaches or club CEOs say to journalists this coach is really great, this one is rubbish) , is it journalists studying the stats and picking up improving trends in the area the assistant is primarily responsible for or is their some other way to assess an assistants performance? Maybe the journalists talk to players about there views on a coaches results and make an assessment. That would seem most likely to me.

May i ask what early season injuries?

Luke Beveridge is “in a terrific space” and coaching as well as he ever has, according to Western Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains in the strongest indication yet that the 2016 premiership coach is headed into an 11th season at the helm next year.

While Bains told the Herald Sun on Tuesday that the Bulldogs still had a lot of work to do to qualify for the finals, he said the overall performance of Beveridge and the entire coaching group had been strong, given the injury issues the club has had to deal with this year.

“Even at the start of the year when there was a lot of questioning when we didn’t start well, our position was – and it remains now – that Bevo is contracted until the end of next year,” Bains said.

“Bevo is in a terrific space … he is coaching well and the coaching group as a whole are going really well.

“Clearly, there was a lot of pressure and public chattering earlier in the season when things weren’t going well, but to his credit, and to the credit of those around him who have supported him, there has been a recognition that we just need to do what is in our control.”

Beveridge’s current contract runs through to the end of 2025, but after the Dogs’ frustratingly slow start to this season, there was mounting pressure on him from outside the club.

Now five weeks out from the finals, the Bulldogs are sitting two points outside the top eight after winning four of their past five games, including wins over flag contenders Fremantle, Carlton and Geelong.

They face a crucial clash with ladder leaders Sydney this weekend.

Bains is convinced the man who led the Dogs to their second flag is coaching as well as ever has, franked by the fact he and his coaching staff reshaped the team with a series of successful moves including switching Ed Richards into the midfield and Rory Lobb to defence.

They have also got the best out of some senior Bulldogs as the club looks to make a late assault on the finals.

“I think he has done a terrific job along with the other coaches in working through the injury issues that a lot of clubs have gone through this year,” Bains said of the coach.

“He has done a really good job of making those (team) adaptations that had to be made.”

“We’ve been going well in the past few weeks and we are intent on concentrating on the next five games heading towards the finals.”

Bains said a review of the football department at the end of last season, when the Dogs missed the finals by half a game, had been significant in bolstering support for Beveridge and allowing him to concentrate on what he does best.

It came after a slight change of responsibilities for executive director of football Chris Grant and the appointment of Matthew Egan to a general manager of football operations role.

“We did draw a lot of confidence from the work that was done in the off-season … we looked at things from an internal and external perspective and a number of changes came from that,” Bains said.

“Without making excuses, there is always an element of time for things to gel and I am not saying we are there yet, but that transition has happened across the year.

“In terms of that reflection from the off-season, one of the things we needed to do better was to support Bevo better and to support the football program better with some of the changes we made, including the introduction of Matthew Egan and his role have been critical.

“They have allowed Bevo to focus on being the best coach he can be.

“We are in a good place, he (Beveridge) is in a good place and some of the decisions that the coaching group has made, led by Bevo, like Ed Richards to the midfield and Rory Lobb out of necessity going back have been great.”

The Bulldogs face Sydney at the SCG on Sunday, ahead of fixtures against Melbourne, Adelaide, North Melbourne and GWS Giants.

GLENN MCFARLANE

Luke Beveridge is “in a terrific space” and coaching as well as he ever has, according to Western Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains in the strongest indication yet that the 2016 premiership coach is headed into an 11th season at the helm next year.

While Bains told the Herald Sun on Tuesday that the Bulldogs still had a lot of work to do to qualify for the finals, he said the overall performance of Beveridge and the entire coaching group had been strong, given the injury issues the club has had to deal with this year.

“Even at the start of the year when there was a lot of questioning when we didn’t start well, our position was – and it remains now – that Bevo is contracted until the end of next year,” Bains said.

“Bevo is in a terrific space … he is coaching well and the coaching group as a whole are going really well.

“Clearly, there was a lot of pressure and public chattering earlier in the season when things weren’t going well, but to his credit, and to the credit of those around him who have supported him, there has been a recognition that we just need to do what is in our control.”

Beveridge’s current contract runs through to the end of 2025, but after the Dogs’ frustratingly slow start to this season, there was mounting pressure on him from outside the club.

Now five weeks out from the finals, the Bulldogs are sitting two points outside the top eight after winning four of their past five games, including wins over flag contenders Fremantle, Carlton and Geelong.

They face a crucial clash with ladder leaders Sydney this weekend.

Bains is convinced the man who led the Dogs to their second flag is coaching as well as ever has, franked by the fact he and his coaching staff reshaped the team with a series of successful moves including switching Ed Richards into the midfield and Rory Lobb to defence.

They have also got the best out of some senior Bulldogs as the club looks to make a late assault on the finals.

“I think he has done a terrific job along with the other coaches in working through the injury issues that a lot of clubs have gone through this year,” Bains said of the coach.

“He has done a really good job of making those (team) adaptations that had to be made.”

“We’ve been going well in the past few weeks and we are intent on concentrating on the next five games heading towards the finals.”

Bains said a review of the football department at the end of last season, when the Dogs missed the finals by half a game, had been significant in bolstering support for Beveridge and allowing him to concentrate on what he does best.

It came after a slight change of responsibilities for executive director of football Chris Grant and the appointment of Matthew Egan to a general manager of football operations role.

“We did draw a lot of confidence from the work that was done in the off-season … we looked at things from an internal and external perspective and a number of changes came from that,” Bains said.

“Without making excuses, there is always an element of time for things to gel and I am not saying we are there yet, but that transition has happened across the year.

“In terms of that reflection from the off-season, one of the things we needed to do better was to support Bevo better and to support the football program better with some of the changes we made, including the introduction of Matthew Egan and his role have been critical.

“They have allowed Bevo to focus on being the best coach he can be.

“We are in a good place, he (Beveridge) is in a good place and some of the decisions that the coaching group has made, led by Bevo, like Ed Richards to the midfield and Rory Lobb out of necessity going back have been great.”

The Bulldogs face Sydney at the SCG on Sunday, ahead of fixtures against Melbourne, Adelaide, North Melbourne and GWS Giants.

GLENN MCFARLANE
Love the introduction of the "young kids "too

I was very much in the “thanks Luke but a fresh voice is needed” crowd.

I reckon I’m eating some humble pie. Think the new side and coaching group just needed time.

I’m still teetering on the edge, but wouldn’t be happy if all management level positions stay as they are for next year. Still don’t see everyone on the same page all the way from KWW/Bains/Grant through to Egan/Bevo/beyond.

Gotta admit, you feel a lot better when you’re winning, but we still might miss finals at the end of the day. Make it though and we could win it all, it’s too random of a year lol

We've played some bloody good football at times this year, but the fact is we are still outside of the 8 and in no way guaranteed to play finals. If we miss thats a disgrace and its on Bevo. The start to the season was appalling and we did not look like a professional oufit for large chunks.

My only wish is to move Spangher on from his fwd line role. Not fussed by the rest.
With the level of talent and amount of forward 50 entries we generate, if we can become more efficient with converting those entries we’d be a much more potent team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back