Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

We lost Naughton, Cody, JJ and Bailey Smith for periods of time
Taking our 4 important players

Outside of Bailey those happened after being 3-5?
Cody was out from the Hawks game and Naughton after…when our winrate started to improve…

Not a injury fault for mine

It’s clear to me gametime into Freijah, Gallagher etc was a factor to turn our season around

Then some moves like Richards and Lobb

Stopped relying on Macrae and Daniel

We've played some bloody good football at times this year, but the fact is we are still outside of the 8 and in no way guaranteed to play finals. If we miss thats a disgrace and its on Bevo. The start to the season was appalling and we did not look like a professional oufit for large chunks.
With a change in gameplan, structures, fitness team, coaching group, roles you expected us to be up and about early?

Was always going to be 10 or so rounds to see the improvement and was always going to be an issue as to whether the start would cost us in the end

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was having a think about matters football as I wandered about this morning , and what I thunk was:

Craig mcrae is the best think since sliced bread at the moment. But with some key players getting close to the end & the team not close to last year's form, it's easy to imagine that the Pies won't get close to a flag for 5 years.

Does that make McRae a poor coach? Of course not. Bad coaches don't win flags.

If he's not close in 5 years time , will Pies fans get impatient ? Of course.

But you and I won't remember him for 5 lean years, we'll remember 2023. And if mcrae wanted to coach our club, we'd be delighted. He's a motivator, good bloke and good coach.

I was having a think about matters football as I wandered about this morning , and what I thunk was:

Craig mcrae is the best think since sliced bread at the moment. But with some key players getting close to the end & the team not close to last year's form, it's easy to imagine that the Pies won't get close to a flag for 5 years.

Does that make McRae a poor coach? Of course not. Bad coaches don't win flags.

If he's not close in 5 years time , will Pies fans get impatient ? Of course.

But you and I won't remember him for 5 lean years, we'll remember 2023. And if mcrae wanted to coach our club, we'd be delighted. He's a motivator, good bloke and good coach.
I feel like coaches in Macrae's mould (& Bevo) will struggle to replicate winning teams. Their formulas are based on motivating specific squads to achieve ultimate glory. Once that's been achieved, it's hard to replicate that effort & desire over more system based teams (Geelong with Scott).

To me, Bevo is gearing up for one last run with a 'new' squad. 2016 was the first one that then faltered in the years that followed. He then built a new team in 2021 to be followed by a similar period. The side we fielded on the weekend consisted of just 8 players from the 2021 grand final which is remarkable considering it was less than 3 seasons ago.

I feel like coaches in Macrae's mould (& Bevo) will struggle to replicate winning teams. Their formulas are based on motivating specific squads to achieve ultimate glory. Once that's been achieved, it's hard to replicate that effort & desire over more system based teams (Geelong with Scott).

To me, Bevo is gearing up for one last run with a 'new' squad. 2016 was the first one that then faltered in the years that followed. He then built a new team in 2021 to be followed by a similar period. The side we fielded on the weekend consisted of just 8 players from the 2021 grand final which is remarkable considering it was less than 3 seasons ago.
That's wild re only 8 players from the 21 granny. Did not realise that.

With a change in gameplan, structures, fitness team, coaching group, roles you expected us to be up and about early?

Was always going to be 10 or so rounds to see the improvement and was always going to be an issue as to whether the start would cost us in the end

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah i did - thats what preseason is for.
At this point i'd say its a 50/50 chance we miss the finals, and if we do, thats a massive failure in my opinion

Yeah i did - thats what preseason is for.
At this point i'd say its a 50/50 chance we miss the finals, and if we do, thats a massive failure in my opinion
Fair enough, your opinion so cannot argue with that, however the last time I looked no serious games are played against opposition to see what works and adjust and with such a turnover just the pre season is no where near enough time to fully implement updated game plans, structures, playing development, fitness regime, role changes with a changed coaching panel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, your opinion so cannot argue with that, however the last time I looked no serious games are played against opposition to see what works and adjust and with such a turnover just the pre season is no where near enough time to fully implement updated game plans, structures, playing development, fitness regime, role changes with a changed coaching panel
Plus just to add the playing list was still very inexperienced. Given that it takes 70 plus games for players to develop consistency the following players had less than 50 games experience:
JUH
Sanders
Darcy
Gallagher
West
JOD
VDM
Khamis
Poulter
Freijah
Bramble
Mc Neil
Cleary
Garcia

with Weightman and Coffield just over 50 games experience.

Given all of the above I am actually more surprised that we have developed so quickly

Hopefully this is me after September with all the humble pie intake.

Austin Powers Eating GIF

I am feeling the vibe but imo the pass mark shouldn’t be three (very impressive) wins in July.

Make finals and win at least one. Now that the ceiling of this team is established, and given we’ll be favourites in 4/4 remaining games, that should be the expectation.

The usual early season ****ery looks to be over but unfortunately/obviously still counts as much as the last few weeks in terms of where we finish.

The underdog stuff is fun but I want Bevo to prove he can get the team up and play at a consistently high level in games we both should and need to win. Of the 7 finals we’ve won under Bevo we were favourites in only one. Makes our final test of this H&A season ironic - can we just consistently get the job done? We’ve successfully underdogged three games now it’s time to overdog the last 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back