Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Better than we're going right now and with an arguably less talented list.
Lol what?

Matthew Boyd is their backline coach, they've conceded a grand total of 60 points less than us this year (which is 2.8 points per game) - and their back line definitely has more talent than ours.

Edit: Further to that, Docklands has an average score of 94, whereas Optus has an average score of 78.5. To suggest their defensive unit has been better than ours is just wrong.

Last edited:
Justin Leppitsch likely headed to Essendon as a senior assistant next year according to SEN.

Essendon are already paying over the soft cap.

Better than we're going right now and with an arguably less talented list.
So since he’s been backline coach Freo has finished 12th, 11th, 5th, 14th and could be in the 8 this year. Is that better than us?

They are half a game ahead of us now and have two arguably tougher games than us coming up. Our last two games shouldn’t be tough unless we make them tough.

There are disasters and disasters.

I'd much rather lose by 40 points if it involves having 1 more total shot at goal, away, than e.g. had we lost by 30 points having 10 fewer shots at goal and at home for example.

Obviously the loss is bad and the margin is the margin. But there are disasters and there are disastres.
I think if I hadn’t seen us win a flag and the drought was still going then I’d be a lot more concerned than I am at the moment. Winning that flag and playing in another GF has caused me to mellow a lot and look for the positives in each loss rather than going postal and smashing everything in the house…last time I did that was round 23, 2016

Because i think we are still mentally fragile, lots of inexperience out there and I probably would have made a couple of changes this week to freshen the squad up. It’s great going unchanged, but its also reeking of complacency.

It’s the Bulldog way unfortunately. Lose when we should win and Win unexpectedly

Media blew smoke up our arses all week and I’m sure the players listen to it

I expect we will make a couple of changes next week and absolutely blow North off the park
it really was a poor decision to go unchanged, fresh guys beating down the door in the VFL, stiff to be out anyway cause they were managed.
the no change really had me worried

it really was a poor decision to go unchanged, fresh guys beating down the door in the VFL, stiff to be out anyway cause they were managed.
the no change really had me worried
Happens nearly every time. We rarely drop anyone after a win, even if they contribute nothing.

I think what everyone forgets is that Adelaide put their best side for the whole season on the park this week

The season is also so tight that you only have to be off a few % and you get rolled - we were off this week and I fully expected it. Thanks Sportsbet…Cha Ching

I’ve said it all year, we are not a top 4 list or team this year, still too many variables. I see us as a 7-8 team who might pinch a final. In this season there are no stand outs anywhere. 6 weeks ago Maclure and Richo were saying this will be the first time in 40 years that Coll, Ess and Carl all make the top 4. 6 weeks later they are all outside the 8.

Stress less people
They should have beaten Geelong last week at Cat Park too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As of now we have the second lowest points against for the season. Defence has been good.
Third best Offense as well

I remember a lot of people wanted Spangher gone in the off-season

The connection between our three tall and our mids has been amazing this year

As of now we have the second lowest points against for the season. Defence has been good.

I remember saying at quarter time yesterday that it worried me that North had kicked 3 goals in the first quarter and didn't want to see them with 12 goals by games end. Needless to say, was happy only conceding 6.

I remember saying at quarter time yesterday that it worried me that North had kicked 3 goals in the first quarter and didn't want to see them with 12 goals by games end. Needless to say, was happy only conceding 6.
I think generally speaking when we have destroyed teams by 60+ points in recent years, scores are usually pretty even at quarter time. Its the second and third quarter where we really get on a roll.

Seeing 1 of the talls jump for mark’s instead of all of them has been a noticeable change

Agreed. It happens every now and again, but nowhere near the same frequency as it used to.

It feels like the main difference is Jamarra lets the others (particularly Naughton) fly early and draw the defenders then he floats across the pack for the mark. It’s been working well for a month or so now.

I think Bevo is safe whatever happens this week. However, I think behind the lions we have the second best list and should have achieved better if we do not go deep into the finals. Not sure we can blame Bevo for bad kicking which has cost us a chance for top 4 and a certain top 8 position. He has made some good tactical moves and our best is very good just have not turned up every week like most teams.

We’re in a weird position at the moment.

Lose to 3rd placed GWS and we could conceivably miss the eight, but the team has won 13 games and a lot of the things that have plagued us the last few years (set shot goalkicking aside) have been significantly addressed.

I think most expected Bevo would go if we missed the eight but I’m comfortable with the coaching lineup continuing with what they’ve done this year either way.

Hoping it’s all moot and we win and get a home final.

Lose to 3rd placed GWS and we could conceivably miss the eight, but the team has won 13 games

We also need to remember that this is only the second season with 23 games, prior to 2023 teams missing with 12 wins only occurred 12 times...

1994 Rich 12-10
1998 Rich 12-10
2003 Haw 12-10
2012 StK 12-10
2015 Port 12-10
2016 StK 12-10
2017 Melb 12-10
2018 NM, Port, Ess, Adel 12-10
2022 Carl 12-10

We’re in a weird position at the moment.

Lose to 3rd placed GWS and we could conceivably miss the eight, but the team has won 13 games and a lot of the things that have plagued us the last few years (set shot goalkicking aside) have been significantly addressed.

I think most expected Bevo would go if we missed the eight but I’m comfortable with the coaching lineup continuing with what they’ve done this year either way.

Hoping it’s all moot and we win and get a home final.
We could arguably miss finals while being a top 3-4 team in the league in overall performance (measured by percentage but also as you say goalkicking luck on top of that).

Our draw was also a bit harder than expected with our double up matchups.

It's hard to understand for many that all you can do is set up your season as a whole and try your best on a game-to-game basis but sometimes there's just bad luck with how and when your good performances come. Ideally you want two three-goal wins rather than an eight-goal win and a one-goal loss, but there's the argument that the latter two games is representative of a better overall team performance. That's a bit like our season so far.

There's every argument we can be happier what we could control preparing for the season than Sydney, who have benefitted from goalkicking luck in both their own and oppositon, narrow wins, injury luck, and not even peaking at the right time of the season, yet will have two home finals. They've just had a luckier overall season.

We could arguably miss finals while being a top 3-4 team in the league in overall performance (measured by percentage but also as you say goalkicking luck on top of that).

Our draw was also a bit harder than expected with our double up matchups.

It's hard to understand for many that all you can do is set up your season as a whole and try your best on a game-to-game basis but sometimes there's just bad luck with how and when your good performances come. Ideally you want two three-goal wins rather than an eight-goal win and a one-goal loss, but there's the argument that the latter two games is representative of a better overall team performance. That's a bit like our season so far.

There's every argument we can be happier what we could control preparing for the season than Sydney, who have benefitted from goalkicking luck in both their own and oppositon, narrow wins, injury luck, and not even peaking at the right time of the season, yet will have two home finals. They've just had a luckier overall season.
I think back to the early losses against Geelong, Hawthorn, Freo and Sydney.

Could have won any one or two of them and the season would take on a different complexion.

Wwe have a very good foundation to build on for next year regardless. Would just love to do some damage this year as I think we deserve that.

I think back to the early losses against Geelong, Hawthorn, Freo and Sydney.

Could have won any one or two of them and the season would take on a different complexion.

Wwe have a very good foundation to build on for next year regardless. Would just love to do some damage this year as I think we deserve that.
I think that as well with this earlier games and absolutely win 1 or 2 of those and we are in a different position and probably in the finals right now.

I'm happy with the last number of weeks beating good sides in Carlton, Sydney (away) and Geelong (away). Melbourne are no good this year but it was a great performance and we could have won by more. The Adelaide loss was a huge let down with deplorable kicking and dismantling North the way we did yesterday is a good sign.

We need to treat the Sunday game like an elimination final and win at all costs to book our spot. I rather get into the finals in winning way instead of losing and relying on other teams which we have done the last 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back