Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you plan B for speed? Coach puts into hyperdrive? You either have it or you don't. That's why we're parked until we reboot this list
Sadly have to agree was concerned when they brought in Caleb. He wasn't the reason we lost but was symptomatic of why we did we couldn't go with them on the open space of the G

According to Bevo we just didn’t show up. Same excuse given in 2019 and 2020.

I know we aren’t moving him on next year. For me success is winning finals, not simply making finals. Based on that we’ve had 1 successful year since our flag, which was 9 seasons ago. The stats show he’s incapable of coaching us to top 4 finish, and can only get us past week 1 of the finals 20% of the time in his career.

According to Bevo we just didn’t show up. Same excuse given in 2019 and 2020.

I know we aren’t moving him on next year. For me success is winning finals, not simply making finals. Based on that we’ve had 1 successful year since our flag, which was 9 seasons ago. The stats show he’s incapable of coaching us to top 4 finish, and can only get us past week 1 of the finals 20% of the time in his career.
I guess there tired of hearing Bevos story lines and stopped listening to him . Not showing up is a coaching issue and yes our top players had a stinker and take portion of the blame however I don’t think Bevo and his team showed up last night.
Time for a change that we know won’t happen .

Wait until you hear his presser. Full of touchy feely bull**** about cuddling the players or some such crap when there should be anger, there should be bitter resentment at what happened.

Soft off field, soft on and it's not changing any time soon. Very disheartening.
Yep, he should be laying into them, publicly and privately.

Seriously? 🙄

Bevo going nowhere whilst Bont & co in his corner. If Bont has doubt then maybe something will happen end of 2025. But I think we are stuck with him another 4-5 years.
Surely watching and playing against a side that has a very good game plan and execution with 100% buy in from the players will enlighten the players on what we are missing from a coaching perspective. Our strategy is poor and so is our match day coaching

Yep, he should be laying into them, publicly and privately.

Seriously? 🙄

The current approach is working beautifully. We've got a team that goes to water when the real heat is on and it's been that way since 2016.

We're soft. Simple as that. That was exposed yet again last night. There's no hardness, no toughness, when things get difficult and we get beaten at the contest we fold.

Will any tough calls be made this off season on players or off field? Doubt it. We'll just plod along as we always do expecting things to change and they won't.

Last edited:
But we're not. We're talking about winning flags. I'd rather have a bastard of a hard task master and win finals than have a coach whose undisputed biggest strength is his emotional connection to his players. You only have to believe in the ability of the coach and yourself. You don't have to love him.
Mitch Wallis spoke of pouring blood from both boots after trying to tag Mitchell in his first or second year in the AFL. Mitchell stamped all over his feet and ankles at every opportunity to shake the tag. The guy just wants to win at any cost and has drilled his team the same. Bevo just doesn’t have that same level of ruthlessness.

Mitch Wallis spoke of pouring blood from both boots after trying to tag Mitchell in his first or second year in the AFL. Mitchell stamped all over his feet and ankles at every opportunity to shake the tag. The guy just wants to win at any cost and has drilled his team the same. Bevo just doesn’t have that same level of ruthlessness.

Spot on. I couldn't care less about the hugs and the emotional rubbish that he goes on with, I just want our club to win. That's it.

You're right, we're not ruthless. We're not prepared to do whatever it takes to win. There's no hard streak and any hardness and ruthlessness that we had in 2016 has been weeded out.

I agree, have to give Mitchell credit, he's a winner and his team is playing like winners. Give me a coach and a playing list that stops at nothing to win. That doesn't accept losing. We don't have that now.

Look at all the champion coaches and teams over the decades. Hardness, uncompromising and ruthless, their coaches and their playing groups. Brisbane in the 00s, Hawthorn, Geelong, they all had it. We don't. That has to change. Fast.

Last edited:
Bevo's a great coach, but even he wouldn't have predicted Sicily and Newcombe would dominate... again.

If we play Hawks at least twice in h&a next year, I reckon that gives Bevo another 8 quarters to work out which two Sicily and Newcombe actually are... 🤔

You have to laugh or you’d cry…..

I mean it’s coaching 101, but apparently a highly paid and experienced head coach - and all his assistants - came up with putting a barely AFL-level small forward on one of the premier intercepting KPDs in the comp.

As for Newcombe, I have no idea what they were even trying to do. Maybe there was a plan to quell him but our mids were collectively so atrocious that it wasn’t obvious what it was.

It’s worth noting that the hawks beat us up in there without arguably their best player in Day.

We’ll be back here again next year, sitting in that 6-11 bracket of teams and losing an EF even if we make the finals until the club has the balls to make the right decision. I won’t hold my breath.

Last edited:
You have to laugh or you’d cry…..

I mean it’s coaching 101, but apparently a highly paid and experienced head coach - and all his assistants - came up with putting a barely AFL-level small forward on one of the premier intercepting KPDs in the comp.

As for Newcombe, I have no idea what they were even trying to do. Maybe there was a plan to quell him but our mids were collectively so atrocious that it was obvious what it was.

It’s worth noting that the hawks beat us up in there without arguably their best player in Day.

We’ll be back here again next year, sitting in that 6-11 bracket of teams and losing an EF even if we make the finals until the club has the balls to make the right decision. I won’t hold my breath.

Yep, we have no balls as a club. Afraid to make the tough calls. Hawks weren't a few years ago and look where they are now. We keep repeating the same mistakes and expecting a different result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you plan B for speed? Coach puts into hyperdrive? You either have it or you don't. That's why we're parked until we reboot this list

Not selecting all 3 of Harmes, Daniel and Macrae would have been a good start.

We had Poulter who was playing decent to good and providing spread, he got dropped after the Adelaide loss when most of the team was awful.

West non selection was absurd and Garcia would have been a brave selection but would match up well against the Hawks.

I think everyone knew the team was too slow but the last 7 weeks made everyone, including myself optimistic we wouldn’t shit the bed. How wrong that was.

I’m glad I don’t need to hear any of that shit for 6 months now.

Another ignominious end to the season, and another horrendous finals performance. What’s the ****ing point in making the eight if this is what gets dished up?

A well run club would’ve exited him by now. Look at how Hawthorn have turned it around while their ex-super coach presides over a debacle at North. They knew when to pull the trigger. We won’t.

Reminds me of something Dean Jones said once about Allan Border when Australia lost The Ashes at home in 1986.

Australia won the last Test but England had belted them up and wrapped the series by then. Jones went up to pat Border on the back and say 'Thanks I know it's been a hard series' or something like that.

Border then said 'We just lost The Ashes champ. Do you know what that means?' and washed his hands of the team.

Sure enough two years later Australia came back harder, ruthless and determined and won The Ashes in England. Border wasn't prepared to accept any more bull**** and he didn't.

I feel like we're at those crossroads of the 1986 Australian team now. We either just sit back and accept and give ourselves a pat on the back for making finals and a good effort or we cut the crap and do whatever it takes, make hard calls, put noses out of joint, to get to a Prelim, a GF, a flag.

Things have to change.

There’s footage of him deliberately giving Griffen a corkie. When it was shown to him there was no shame or contrition, just “I might have to rethink my defensive strategies.” 🙄

In their premiership years Hawthorn were well known for their “edgy” tactics. Mitchell will be coaching the same way. What worked ten years ago can be made to work again.

Not selecting all 3 of Harmes, Daniel and Macrae would have been a good start.

We had Poulter who was playing decent to good and providing spread, he got dropped after the Adelaide loss when most of the team was awful.

West non selection was absurd and Garcia would have been a brave selection but would match up well against the Hawks.

I think everyone knew the team was too slow but the last 7 weeks made everyone, including myself optimistic we wouldn’t shit the bed. How wrong that was.
Imagine the melts if we’d dropped Daniel, Macrae and Harmes for Poulter, Garcia and West. Do you really think it would have made any difference?

There’s footage of him deliberately giving Griffen a corkie. When it was shown to him there was no shame or contrition, just “I might have to rethink my defensive strategies.” 🙄

In their premiership years Hawthorn were well known for their “edgy” tactics. Mitchell will be coaching the same way. What worked ten years ago can be made to work again.

How good would it be to have a ruthless coach?

Remember when Brad Johnson got suspended for standing on someone’s foot??

Could only happen to a Bulldog 🙄

Imagine the melts if we’d dropped Daniel, Macrae and Harmes for Poulter, Garcia and West. Do you really think it would have made any difference?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I don’t think the team selection would have changed anything due to the awful tactics and lack of playing.

I can’t understand with the way we played the selections of Daniel and Harmes. That game didn’t suit them based on what the coach asked.

Macrae should have started on the field with Treloar not being 100%. He needed that extra help in stoppage.

i just feel like West > Harmes and Poulter > Daniel would have matched up better based on our game plan or lack of, not drastically change the result.

He got lambasted in the media for focusing more on offense than defense in recent years, as if there’s not more than one way to build a team.

Now they’re humming on offense, have found a decent defensive gameplan, and are about to add a couple of the better KPDs in the comp to their list.

In the meantime down the highway Geelong have a coach that plans for opposition teams and keeps making top fours and PFs.

You could argue that the Cats and Hawks lists are the two least talented in the eight. They might be more balanced than others, but they don’t have the top end talent that Sydney, GWS, Brisbane, Carlton and probably ourselves have. But good clubs are run well and others aren’t, and now there’s a decent chance one of them will be in the GF.

Frustrating, but inevitable until there’s a change of approach at our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back