News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

The state government don't want to do that because they don't own that stadium.
That argument should be pretty easy to shoot down - the MCG gets plenty of government funding because they understand the importance of having a Mickey Mouse facility - from the outside this looks like a gigantic cluster **** and the State Government appears to want the IOC to take it off them.

That argument should be pretty easy to shoot down - the MCG gets plenty of government funding because they understand the importance of having a Mickey Mouse facility - from the outside this looks like a gigantic cluster * and the State Government appears to want the IOC to take it off them.
The good thing if it happens is the housing and health crises will be solved with the saved money.:think:

The state government don't want to do that because they don't own that stadium.
Yeah that’s why I wonder they can’t work out a “deal” - I know the state won’t build it & give it to them but something along the lines of 15% share of all future ticket sales or something?
It’s a bonus for the state to have more events there anyway but they’d also get a direct cash share & it solves the problem of an alternate ground for 5 years, and it’s a bonus for the RNA with a brand new stadium. Building & removing a temporary stadium just seems like such a waste of $$ when a bit more longer term thinking could maybe generate something permanent?

That argument should be pretty easy to shoot down - the MCG gets plenty of government funding because they understand the importance of having a Mickey Mouse facility - from the outside this looks like a gigantic cluster * and the State Government appears to want the IOC to take it off them.
That argument is already being made by the state government about why AFL/cricket/council needs to chip in for an RNA temporary upgrade.

That argument is already being made by the state government about why AFL/cricket/council needs to chip in for an RNA temporary upgrade.
Personally I think that if anyone needs to chip in for an RNA upgrade, it is the RNA.

Heri
Actually it’s only 1.5km walk away!
A whole brand new new school….

The vertical school info is a misdirection because that’s not what’s there now & can never be….especially when they argue can’t touch heritage listed buildings anyway 😉
Hertage Listed buildings get touched all the time...especially in South Eastern QLD.

I have info from a reliable source that seating capacity can be increased at The Gabba without demolishing existing stands. Not sure where you got your info from but it seems like there are different ways of doing things depending on who you talk to.

Personally I think that if anyone needs to chip in for an RNA upgrade, it is the RNA.
I may be living under a rock, but does the RNA showground site get much use during the year besides the annual Ekka?

If they don't have multiple well drawing events during the year apart from the Ekka it seems like an awful waste of prime real estate.

I may be living under a rock, but does the RNA showground site get much use during the year besides the annual Ekka?

If they don't have multiple well drawing events during the year apart from the Ekka it seems like an awful waste of prime real estate.
Not sure if it has high drawing events but it definitely holds events

Labor Day, free beers & bbq. Commi’s invite only.

Also seen a camping and trailer exhibition there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have not been on the forum since last Sunday.
I had a procedure done at STARS with a planned overnight stay that turned into a 4.5 day stay.
For Brisbane people that may not know much about STARS should you get notified that is where your procedure will be.
It is a relatively new (2021) Public Health facility occupying the site of the old Childrens Hospital area.
It is Australia’s first purpose-built digital public hospital.

This is one first class facility from the time you enter till you leave including the food you order yourself from an extensive menu.
Being there for that time i became more aware of how knowledgeable nursing staff are.
The overall care was excellent.

The Public Health system regularly cops a lot of flak from the media and whoever is in State opposition at the time.
If anyone on the forum here is in or gets into the Public Hospital system and you get notified you are going to STARS, that will be one positive for you.

After catching up on the discussion i don't see much that has not been discussed before.
There are and will be lots more media talk about what may be recommended by the review Committee.
Personally, i would not take much notice of anything until the review is handed over in 4 weeks' time.
From that point on there may be some leaks that end up being correct or close to correct.

However, it is preseason, and it is always nice to have something to discuss.

Have not been on the forum since last Sunday.
I had a procedure done at STARS with a planned overnight stay that turned into a 4.5 day stay.
For Brisbane people that may not know much about STARS should you get notified that is where your procedure will be.
It is a relatively new (2021) Public Health facility occupying the site of the old Childrens Hospital area.
It is Australia’s first purpose-built digital public hospital.

This is one first class facility from the time you enter till you leave including the food you order yourself from an extensive menu.
Being there for that time i became more aware of how knowledgeable nursing staff are.
The overall care was excellent.

The Public Health system regularly cops a lot of flak from the media and whoever is in State opposition at the time.
If anyone on the forum here is in or gets into the Public Hospital system and you get notified you are going to STARS, that will be one positive for you.

After catching up on the discussion i don't see much that has not been discussed before.
There are and will be lots more media talk about what may be recommended by the review Committee.
Personally, i would not take much notice of anything until the review is handed over in 4 weeks' time.
From that point on there may be some leaks that end up being correct or close to correct.

However, it is preseason, and it is always nice to have something to discuss.
I am a Renal and Oncology out patient at the PA Hospital, and have been Hospitalised multiple times, I could not agree more, the Public Health system is magnificent if you are in dire need IMO. I can never understand the criticism of it.

I am a Renal and Oncology out patient at the PA Hospital, and have been Hospitalised multiple times, I could not agree more, the Public Health system is magnificent if you are in dire need IMO. I can never understand the criticism of it.
Have never had a bad experience with public health since we dropped out of private health 10 years ago .
Also if needed, you will be done in private health anyway .

I wondering if it’s the sand under the turf, that is the real problem.
Why do you think there is a problem? Because Rayner and Hipwood did ACLs there? If you look at the mechanism - both looked like it had nothing to do with surface. Hipwood landed awkwardly in contest, Rayner changed direction (with planted foot).

FWIW, during covid close to 50 games were played at Metricon and I can't remember any ACLs during that time. That would be basically 4 years of regular seasons games with no ACLs.

In the past, I recall Rich (player fell on his leg), Budarick 2x (change of direction, player fell across his leg), Rischitelli (change of direction) and Dunn.

So, I guess around 7 ACLs in 13 years. Too many? Possibly but none of them looked due to surface (contrary to e.g. Weller in Darwin due to soft, shifting surface).

I am no expert, but I walked on the surface many times. It does not look like shifting due to sand at all. FWIW, the surface was re-built after Commonwealth games.

Does anybody have a source/link to latest cost/benefits analysis of Brisbane games?

After short google, I only found the link below dated March 2022. Still quite interesting, explaining IOC "New Terms" among others. If I understand correctly, amazingly, Brisbane did not provide capital costs in Executive Summary (Feb 2021).

For fun, here are projected benefits.

Brisbane-olympic-games-2032-net-benefit-004.jpg

Last edited:
Actually the MCG gets very little funding. It makes massive profits and pays for 90%+ of rebuilds, upgrades, etc.

Just saw this on the channel 9 news.
They were talking about cleaning up the Brisbane River trying to get it back to an acceptance level for swimming.
Yes, i know it is a crazy idea when one flood will have back to where it is usually being around the "D" rating mark.
None the less Governments and Councils do put a lot of work into trying to make the Brisbane River a better quality.
Why i am mentioning this?
The report finished by saying Paris has put Aus $2.3 billion ($1.4 billion euros) into cleaning up the Seine River which will host the Opening Ceremony and Olympic triathlon and distance swimming events.
The project does have a big benefit for the city that may or may not have proceeded without the Olympics.
A quick google search pretty much confirmed this is happening.

Just saw this on the channel 9 news.
They were talking about cleaning up the Brisbane River trying to get it back to an acceptance level for swimming.
Yes, i know it is a crazy idea when one flood will have back to where it is usually being around the "D" rating mark.
None the less Governments and Councils do put a lot of work into trying to make the Brisbane River a better quality.
Why i am mentioning this?
The report finished by saying Paris has put Aus $2.3 billion ($1.4 billion euros) into cleaning up the Seine River which will host the Opening Ceremony and Olympic triathlon and distance swimming events.
The project does have a big benefit for the city that may or may not have proceeded without the Olympics.
A quick google search pretty much confirmed this is happening.

I mean a less polluted river cannot be a bad thing, but anyone wanting to swim in it is risking a visit from a bull shark. There has been anectodal reports of people 100 years ago diving for pennies in the river, but the river varies widly between a little clear and murky as shit depending on the amount of rain.

Actually the MCG gets very little funding. It makes massive profits and pays for 90%+ of rebuilds, upgrades, etc.
Are you sure? Great Southern Stand? I reckon it cost $150M and by the end of it all Jeff, MCC & MCG Trust all tipped in about the same

Last edited:
Are you sure? Great Southern Stand? I reckon it cost $150M and by the end of it all Jeff, MCC & MCG Trust all tipped in about the same
That was 35 years ago! Pretty sure the MCG paid most of it. They have taken government loans to fund new stands.
For the two new stands done in 2004 & 2006, MCC borrowed more the whole amount. The government wiped a $90m debt from the GSS At the same time. As part of the contract the AFL contributes $5m per year to the MCG.

That was 35 years ago! Pretty sure the MCG paid most of it. They have taken government loans to fund new stands.
For the two new stands done in 2004 & 2006, MCC borrowed more the whole amount. The government wiped a $90m debt from the GSS At the same time. As part of the contract the AFL contributes $5m per year to the MCG.
I suppose my point being to take it to a world class venue…it required all parties to agree the vision and stump up the coin. After that it should be close to self sufficient. Melbourne is full as a goog this weekend due to Tay Tay

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back