News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose my point being to take it to a world class venue…it required all parties to agree the vision and stump up the coin. After that it should be close to self sufficient. Melbourne is full as a goog this weekend due to Tay Tay
Anyone with doubts about the need for a large world class stadium here just needs to see the news about Taylor swift.
What an international success story her 100,000 crowd concert was last night & it’s being repeated again tonight….what a boost for Melbourne’s economy. A boost that brisbane misses out on entirely….

Anyone with doubts about the need for a large world class stadium here just needs to see the news about Taylor swift.
What an international success story her 100,000 crowd concert was last night & it’s being repeated again tonight….what a boost for Melbourne’s economy. A boost that brisbane misses out on entirely….

Precisely - instead you’ve got a mish mash of shit pot stadiums that only serve individual sports on an at best fair level - here’s the opportunity to get a legacy and no one knows what to do 🤷‍♂️

Precisely - instead you’ve got a mish mash of s**t pot stadiums that only serve individual sports on an at best fair level - here’s the opportunity to get a legacy and no one knows what to do 🤷‍♂️

Typical political bloviating and pandering is what is causing this cluster f..k.

Heri

Hertage Listed buildings get touched all the time...especially in South Eastern QLD.

I have info from a reliable source that seating capacity can be increased at The Gabba without demolishing existing stands. Not sure where you got your info from but it seems like there are different ways of doing things depending on who you talk to.
Would love to see some info about this as the stands are cantilevered over Stanley & vulture streets.
Not to mention they are 30+ years old already & rumours of concrete cancer…..

Heri

Hertage Listed buildings get touched all the time...especially in South Eastern QLD.

I have info from a reliable source that seating capacity can be increased at The Gabba without demolishing existing stands. Not sure where you got your info from but it seems like there are different ways of doing things depending on who you talk to.
That may be the case but how many extra seats over 37K does this reliable source believe can be achieved?

For example, you can get an increase by getting rid of The Verandah and reinstalling proper stadium seating.
Then there is lost seating behind the large advertising panels on the wing interchange side. Also, others left and right of the sign too.
Not a big increase but still an increase.

That may be the case but how many extra seats over 37K does this reliable source believe can be achieved?

For example, you can get an increase by getting rid of The Verandah and reinstalling proper stadium seating.
Then there is lost seating behind the large advertising panels on the wing interchange side. Also, others left and right of the sign too.
I think that Mighty Lions must be suggesting an extension of the stands to get the extra seating.
Which would be possible to the Eastern and Western Ends easily enough over the school and park ends but certainly isn’t ideal.
The road sides would be much more difficult to extend.

I cant answer your question but I assume an increase to 50K seats would be a minimum...I guess we will find out soon enough.
In my opinion any less than 50K capacity isn't worth the cost but who knows what they may think is acceptable.

Would love to see some info about this as the stands are cantilevered over Stanley & vulture streets.
Not to mention they are 30+ years old already & rumours of concrete cancer…..
If a facelift is given the nod you will get some info. Dont believe in rumours often...think they are mainly for the negative nellies in my opinion.

I think that Mighty Lions must be suggesting an extension of the stands to get the extra seating.
Which would be possible to the Eastern and Western Ends easily enough over the school and park ends but certainly isn’t ideal.
The road sides would be much more difficult to extend.
Depends on what Mighty Lions intention is for the Gabba. Most likely just AFL/Cricket only?

To just do a capacity increase would only help if athletics, opening and closing ceremony went elsewhere or a new stadium built elsewhere.

If athletics, opening and closing ceremony stay at the Gabba we are back to where it all started.
Which is a lot money needed to bring stadium up to Olympic standard including Paralympics specifications.
Below Paralympics standards in 2013. Could be even more for 2024 but can't find anything in short timeframe.
It is a reference guide and does not have the extra detail contained in the full requirements.

Below 3 pages of the 7 pages listed.
1708160831134.png
1708160932818.png
1708160782441.png

Depends on what Mighty Lions intention is for the Gabba. Most likely just AFL/Cricket only?

To just do a capacity increase would only help if athletics, opening and closing ceremony went elsewhere or a new stadium built elsewhere.

If athletics, opening and closing ceremony stay at the Gabba we are back to where it all started.
Which is a lot money needed to bring stadium up to Olympic standard including Paralympics specifications.
Below Paralympics standards in 2013. Could be even more for 2024 but can't find anything in short timeframe.
It is a reference guide and does not have the extra detail contained in the full requirements.

View attachment 1907408
View attachment 1907409
View attachment 1907407
Yer, no way a refurb is going to get the job done, and that is not all the specifications that would be needed to stage an Olympics/Paralympics, imagine the specifications for VIPs/Heads of State/Royalty.

This would have all been known before we accepted the Olympics and did the original Stadium options enquiry.

The Olympics require state of the art modern facilities, no better opportunity to get a brand new stadium than the Olympics.

View attachment 1907408
View attachment 1907409
View attachment 1907407
In ML’s words a ‘Facelift’ is never going to get it done.
It would need an extensive re-build to get the job done.

In ML’s words a ‘Facelift’ is never going to get it done.
It would need an extensive re-build to get the job done.

This is pretty much what all the information available to the public would suggest, but ML knows a guy who says that we can refurb the Gabba to 50,000 seats.

Courier mail article today the moron Coates has a new wacky idea. Host the opening ceremony in Townsville, Cairns and gold coast. And if you thought this bloke wasn't a rugby league shill after his dig at the AFL and suggesting an upgrade for Suncorp, he has now suggested we could get Jonathon Thurston involved in the Townsville part.

Some relief later in the article though where Natalie cook wants a gabba rebuild for AFL and cricket's legacy, she seems a bit more switched on than old mate Coates (Sep blatter of the IOC).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Courier mail article today the moron Coates has a new wacky idea. Host the opening ceremony in Townsville, Cairns and gold coast. And if you thought this bloke wasn't a rugby league shill after his dig at the AFL and suggesting an upgrade for Suncorp, he has now suggested we could get Jonathon Thurston involved in the Townsville part.

Some relief later in the article though where Natalie cook wants a gabba rebuild for AFL and cricket's legacy, she seems a bit more switched on than old mate Coates (Sep blatter of the IOC).

Hopefully this will be all sorted by the end of March, what's everyone's tip as to what will happen?

1- The original Demolish/Rebuild of the Gabba will happen.
2- New stadium at Victoria Park, Albion or the RNA, Gabba demolished after the Olympics.
3- Refurbishment of the Gabba.
4- Refurbishment of QEII.
5- We don't host the Olympics.
6- Coates gets his way, Townsville opening ceremony with Jonathan Thurston lighting the flame.... track and field at Cazaly Stadium, swimming at The Valley Pool.

Last edited:
Hopefully this will be all sorted by the end of March, what's everyone's tip as to what will happen?

1- The original Demolish/Rebuild of the Gabba will happen.
2- New stadium at Victoria Park or the RNA, Gabba demolished after the Olympics.
3- Refurbishment of the Gabba.
4- Refurbishment of QEII.
5- We don't host the Olympics.
6- Coates gets his way, Townsville opening ceremony with Jonathan Thurston lighting the flame.... track and field at Cazaly Stadium, swimming at The Valley Pool.

Preferred 2, but if you forced me to decide on one, it's either 3 or I still think Albion park could be an option to save face from the naughty word 'gabba'. Flip a few venues around. I feel like the government will still want a stadium in the city in some form to host the athletics.

Coates to perform Tina Turner's simply the best at the opening ceremony to save money.

I am not sure I would be in favor of the Olympics if it didn't involve a rebuild of the Gabba. Surely one of the points of holding the games is that it enables the city to upgrade its sporting facilities. The Gabba requires a rebuild with or without the games being held in Brisbane. If it doesn't happen now, you can wave goodbye to test cricket and a rebuild in the future will cost a lot more than the figures being quoted now. If the games were held in Brisbane and the Gabba wasn't rebuilt it would be ridiculous.

This is pretty much what all the information available to the public would suggest, but ML knows a guy who says that we can refurb the Gabba to 50,000 seats.
If you listen to Fages words in the SEN interview this week.
Then a staged “Re-build” is still on the cards.
Didn’t mention anything about a staged “Facelift” though.

He’s just taking the piss.
He is just pressuring the Government not to cheap out and not to cave to any perceived pressure.

I am not sure I would be in favor of the Olympics if it didn't involve a rebuild of the Gabba. Surely one of the points of holding the games is that it enables the city to upgrade its sporting facilities. The Gabba requires a rebuild with or without the games being held in Brisbane. If it doesn't happen now, you can wave goodbye to test cricket and a rebuild in the future will cost a lot more than the figures being quoted now. If the games were held in Brisbane and the Gabba wasn't rebuilt it would be ridiculous.
I'd say if the Gabba is not rebuilt the option of a new Stadium at Albion, RNA or Victoria Park would be good for the Lions and Cricket. We get to play at the Gabba until post Olympics when we move into the new Stadium and the worn down/ancient Gabba gets demolished to make way for high rise apartments/parklands/school etc.

I'd say if the Gabba is not rebuilt the option of a new Stadium at Albion, RNA or Victoria Park would be good for the Lions and Cricket. We get to play at the Gabba until post Olympics when we move into the new Stadium and the worn down/ancient Gabba gets demolished to make way for high rise apartments/parklands/school etc.

I could live with this option, but I do wonder how much of the Cross River Rail budget for Woolloongabba Station was justified on having a world class sporting facility opposite.

Last edited:
I could live with this option, but I do wonder how much of the Cross River Rail budget for Woolloongabba Station was justified on having a world class sporting facility opposite.
Yes I agree... and it did look bloody fantastic in the mock ups with the pedestrian bridges across Main and Stanley Sts.

ee02cc7012e65d9c04ff0c2bf396a4e7d68225c0

Inner city rail is at capacity and couldn't put on any more services during peak times. That's the main reason for Cross River Rail. The site of the station (Bordering on Woolloongabba & Kangaroo Point) is an area arguably underserviced by high frequency transport, even taking away the existence of the Gabba.

Absolutely summed it up precisely!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back