News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope we end up with a world class stadium whether it be a brand new build at the RNA/Victoria Park or a staged refurbishment at the Gabba.

The Government will no doubt be basing it's decision on maximising it's re-election chances and not on long term multi decade benefits... no budget Ikea stadium option please.
From a selfish point of view I would rather us have a decent crack at 1 or 2 grand finals over the 4 year (probably more like 5 or 6) demolishment/re-build period than a world class stadium. The advantage of playing home games at the Gabba is enormous compared to playing games away from the Gabba and losing significant membership along the way is a no brainer for me. Our chances are far more likely with our home staying where it is and giving ourselves every chance of finishing top 4. An increase in stadium capacity would be fantastic but apart from that, I love being at the Gabba watching sporting events of all kinds. (Not a bad seat in the house in my opinion) Beer has always been cold but the food I steer away from.:sick:
Do what they want as far as I am concerned as long as we get to play ALL home games @ The Gabbatoir. 😍;)

From a selfish point of view I would rather us have a decent crack at 1 or 2 grand finals over the 4 year (probably more like 5 or 6) demolishment/re-build period than a world class stadium. The advantage of playing home games at the Gabba is enormous compared to playing games away from the Gabba and losing significant membership along the way is a no brainer for me. Our chances are far more likely with our home staying where it is and giving ourselves every chance of finishing top 4. An increase in stadium capacity would be fantastic but apart from that, I love being at the Gabba watching sporting events of all kinds. (Not a bad seat in the house in my opinion) Beer has always been cold but the food I steer away from.:sick:
Do what they want as far as I am concerned as long as we get to play ALL home games @ The Gabbatoir. 😍;)
I agree with most of what you said there, Gabba is great for me as it is, I arrive 10 minutes before bouncedown, rarely leave my seat as I can easily go 3 hours without food, drink or a toilet break and as you say great atmosphere and viewing, seats just as comfortable as Adelaide Oval, MCG or Marvel.

Hopefully a staged rebuild doesn't detract too much from the vibe of game day.

I agree with most of what you said there, Gabba is great for me as it is, I arrive 10 minutes before bouncedown, rarely leave my seat as I can easily go 3 hours without food, drink or a toilet break and as you say great atmosphere and viewing, seats just as comfortable as Adelaide Oval, MCG or Marvel.

Hopefully a staged rebuild doesn't detract too much from the vibe of game day.
I'd be happy to even watch it at home if thats what had to happen occasionally while work was in progress. Our club playing home games at home is my 1st priority. Me being there to watch is my 2nd. ;)

I'd be happy to even watch it at home if thats what had to happen occasionally while work was in progress. Our club playing home games at home is my 1st priority. Me being there to watch is my 2nd. ;)
Couldn't agree more ML. I love the Gabba and I think the atmosphere, game spectacle with a full house and current viewing set up is fantastic. If the 2 week long Olympics wasn't happening in Brisbane, I doubt whether any of the so-called issues with the Gabba would have been on the agenda and a staged refurbishment would have been almost universally applauded. After a GF visit to the MCG, I reckon the Gabba is right up there in terms of the above, even though obviously on a smaller scale.

Couldn't agree more ML. I love the Gabba and I think the atmosphere, game spectacle with a full house and current viewing set up is fantastic. If the 2 week long Olympics wasn't happening in Brisbane, I doubt whether any of the so-called issues with the Gabba would have been on the agenda and a staged refurbishment would have been almost universally applauded. After a GF visit to the MCG, I reckon the Gabba is right up there in terms of the above, even though obviously on a smaller scale.
The implementation of the cross river rail will be huge as well. Seating capacilty to 50K would be perfect.

I can't complain about the ground itself, I have a good time every time. I just wish it was in a park so that we could get in and out of the ground easier, and roads didn't have to be shut down in the process.

I doubt it will be either of these 2 locations.
More likely Albion Park.
Lot of infrastructure work to be done at Albion, would require an extension to the current rail network or shuttle busses from the station... IMUO it would be the most expensive of all the options taking everything into account.

Lot of infrastructure work to be done at Albion, would require an extension to the current rail network or shuttle busses from the station... IMUO it would be the most expensive of all the options taking everything into account.
But a buy out of land at RNA and VIC Park, so most unlikely.

I believe something will be done at the Gabba but it could be sub par for an Olympics.

I wonder if, rather than dig to obtain internal access and carparking, a concourse could be built over the roads on Stanley, Vulture and possibly Wellington Street as well. One lane underneath could be sectioned off semi/ permanently to provide the ring road.

Might help the plan of a staged rebuild, allow better pedestrian access, keep the actual playing field relatively untouched, even allow traffic to flow during events.

Anyway, just spitballing here. I'm sure it's been thought of before.

Why is The Gabba so expensive whether it is done as a complete, partial or staged rebuild. Or a new site altogether.

The IOC wants all Olympic Games starting with Tokyo to be carbon neutral.
It has been mentioned on BF quite a few times about doing things like pulldowns in a green way.
Previously mentioned is that any pulldowns be it buildings, grandstands or full stadiums must be done in a green manner.
What has not been mentioned is what does the IOC regard as a green manner.
I can't find anything specific about pulldowns (i am sure it's somewhere), but new or vastly improved venues come with a USD$ amount.
New buildings or upgrades above USD$ 76.3 million or AU $116.4 million will require a 6 Green star rating.
Just shy of the RNA proposed improvements should that ever see the light of day.

Below a small part taken from the Sustainability Programme
It also mentions no new buildings erected on heritage or culturally significant sites. But i will leave that part off for now.
............................................................................................................................................................
Design solutions: (1 of 5 mentioned)

• The design of all new buildings in Australia must comply with the National Construction Code, including reducing energy use and emissions
• The Queensland Building Plan promotes a sustainable building industry, creating healthier, cost-efficient, climate-friendly places
All Queensland Government projects valued over USD76.3 million must undertake a sustainability assessment that aligns with industry best practice sustainability rating tools, with assessments for projects of lesser value also encouraged
• Brisbane City Council’s Green Buildings Incentive provides a financial payment equivalent to a 50% reduction in infrastructure charges for new residential and commercial buildings incorporating green and energy efficient design elements
...............................................................................................................................................................

Indicative objectives and implementation measures: (just some of what is mentioned)

All new vertical infrastructure projects or significant upgrades will target 6 star (world leadership) Green Star for Buildings ratings from the Green Building Council of Australia, where relevant
• All new linear infrastructure or significant upgrades target an infrastructure sustainability (IS) rating of excellent or greater from the Infrastructure Sustainability Council of Australia
• As part of the Green Star and IS rating approach, capital programmes will target zero net waste and 100% renewable electricity and fuel use for construction phases and deliver assets that achieve the same in operation
• Games infrastructure will incorporate technologies that support low carbon operations as appropriate, for example, electric vehicle charging infrastructure
• All on-site permanent and temporary venue construction activity will be closely monitored for compliance with sustainability, environment, workplace health and safety and industrial relations legislative requirements
.....................................................................................................................................................

What actually is required for a 6-star rating see below.

1709023221349.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But a buy out of land at RNA and VIC Park, so most unlikely.

I believe something will be done at the Gabba but it could be sub par for an Olympics.

Couldn’t they swap some land with the council and not have it end up costing too much? For Vic Park at least; I know the RNA own the RNA.

I realise it’s a little more complicated than that lol but theoretically it doesn’t have to be expensive. Could tbh just swap with the land the Gabba is currently on so come 2033 when they knock the Gabba down the council can turn it into a park or whatever else they want.

[Steve] Wilson, who chaired the South Bank Corporation board between 1996 and 2012, has proposed new and upgraded sporting and events venues – dubbed the “three pearls of Brisbane”.

He is calling for a 48,000-seat circle stadium at Victoria Park, modelled on the Sydney Cricket Ground, to be built for cricket and AFL.

“It’s got the three necessary principals, it’s rich with existing and soon-to-be-completed public transport, it’s central and it will stimulate precinct growth,” he said.

“The Lord Mayor has this wonderful idea of turning Victoria Park into a fabulous parkland, the stadium wouldn’t take up that much space.

“Parklands that aren’t activated do have security issues – we learnt that at South Bank.”

Mr Wilson argued Brisbane’s “most exciting venue”, Suncorp Stadium, should be upgraded to sit 65,000 people, rival the best British football stadiums and host the biggest global events.

Mr Wilson is proposing the controversial Gabba be demolished in favour of an 18,000-seat Brisbane Arena events centre.

Collectively, the three new venues could be linked through connecting green avenues and sporting hero walkways, Mr Wilson said.

I'd be for that although would prefer a stadium capacity of circa 55,000 than 48,000.

Mr Wilson must be a Rugby League fan as well wanting money spent on an upgrade to Lang Park.
Not a fan of the SCG.
So it’s a no for me.

But I agree, I think within a few years if we can stay up the top of the ladder we will need a 55k stadium

Not a fan of the SCG.
So it’s a no for me.

But I agree, I think within a few years if we can stay up the top of the ladder we will need a 55k stadium
If we are made to move while construction is going on for a minimum of 4 years, our quest of staying on top of the ladder is significantly made more challenging......in memberships as well. I dont want that regardless of what standard our stadium is.

call me cynical but the gabba rebuild brouhaha of the last few months looks more and more like a concerted behind-the-scenes push to redirect the legacy benefits of the 2032 olympics infrastructure program away from AFL/cricket towards rugby league (doubt other rectangular codes hold much sway in the hustle and bustle of shadowy qld politics ..... rugby union maybe?)

Last edited:
If we are made to move while construction is going on for a minimum of 4 years, our quest of staying on top of the ladder is significantly made more challenging......in memberships as well. I dont want that regardless of what standard our stadium is.
If it was to be built at Victoria Park or any other site, then the Lions don’t go anywhere.
Which would be perfect for the Lions.
Until after the Olympics when we move into the new Stadium.

Hallelujah, someone finally made the common sense proposal public. Great news.

Like others, the only thing I'd like to see is the stadium over 50k and nothing done to Suncorp, but if it shuts the leagiues up from whingeing and killing the new oval stadium in the background, I suppose it has to be the compromise. They seriously get their finger in every tax payer funded pie and never put their hand in their own pocket. It's what happens when you have news.ltd as your full time promoter.

I have mentioned before that Victoria Park is a heritage listed site.
Having the BMX and Equestrian events at Victoria Park will be designed around the hilly terrain.
This will have minimal effect on the parkland and will not affect the parklands master plan.
Also, both are temporary Olympic venues.

Some posters have mentioned that there are ways around getting things done on heritage sites most referring to buildings.
Protected and heritage site are clearly mentioned in IOC documents.
Below from one document.

Protection of cultural heritage – the priority is preserving the significance of heritage places and heritage areas, including Indigenous cultural heritage
No new permanent venues will be constructed on protected natural or cultural areas

I have mentioned before that Victoria Park is a heritage listed site.
Having the BMX and Equestrian events at Victoria Park will be designed around the hilly terrain.
This will have minimal effect on the parkland and will not affect the parklands master plan.
Also, both are temporary Olympic venues.

Some posters have mentioned that there are ways around getting things done on heritage sites most referring to buildings.
Protected and heritage site are clearly mentioned in IOC documents.
Below from one document.

Protection of cultural heritage – the priority is preserving the significance of heritage places and heritage areas, including Indigenous cultural heritage
No new permanent venues will be constructed on protected natural or cultural areas
Shall I copy over my response to your similar comment on the AFL stadiums subforum thread?

Shall I copy over my response to your similar comment on the AFL stadiums subforum thread?
If you like go ahead but they are all not related to my above comment.
You mentioned certain things on the Heritage listings but nowhere near what is listed on the links to the register above.
But what is your comment on • No new permanent venues will be constructed on protected natural or cultural areas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back