News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

The bus issue has always been the intersection of Main/Stanley/Ipswich roads.
For pedestrian safety that intersection is closed for 1 hour after an AFL game.
We walked to Mater Hill to get a bus after the game which is not ideal.
Not sure about T20 cricket but most likely the same.

So only two bus routes can leave Wooloongabba station in that time.
Those two routes terminate at that station (outbound from city), so they just turn around and resume their normal return route.

Every other bus route inbound & outbound diverts around the station via side streets.
I don't think the new metro buses can go into these side streets.

An old map below (image 2) has the Wooloongabba station indicated.
However, the new bus stations (image 1) on their website for Metro one (blue line) does not include Wooloongabba.
Most likely taken off once the Gabba issue unfolded.
Not mentioned during the recent BCC elections that i can recall.

IMAGE 1
1722512941492.png

IMAGE 2

1722512667415.png

Oh. So the Metro is a bus project.

You'll have to bear with me... I've moved from Sydney where the Metro was a big (and overrated) underground rail project.
Screw you. That new Metro is getting me to craft beer 20 minutes quicker!

An old map below (image 2) has the Wooloongabba station indicated.
However, the new bus stations (image 1) on their website for Metro one (blue line) does not include Wooloongabba.
Most likely taken off once the Gabba issue unfolded.
Not mentioned during the recent BCC elections that i can recall.
Tbh the metro servicing the Gabba bus station always seemed odd to me, because you'd have to tunnel through a bunch of land to connect it from the Gabba station to the existing busway

Tbh the metro servicing the Gabba bus station always seemed odd to me, because you'd have to tunnel through a bunch of land to connect it from the Gabba station to the existing busway
Agree but everyone probably got caught up in the Gabba rebuild for the Olympics
When you look at the planning stage (map wise below) connecting to Wooloongabba, it was like an offshoot to connect to the existing station.

Strange that the funding was there but looks like all 3 tiers of Government has come to the same conclusion and will put their money to other projects or not. Maybe towards the Gabba although the BCC would not do that.
The BCC may want to co-fund something that could leave the intersection of Main/Stanley/Ipswich Road open to buses and normal traffic after the game instead of closing the intersection for 1 hour.
That way all buses routes could run as normal with a connection to Metro 1 just one stop closer to the city.
You would think for the same money they could come up with a successful idea.

There is a turnaround bus loop at Wooloongabba station the Metro 1 from 8-Mile Plains could use that but only stop at platform 1 Wooloongabba station before continuing on to Mater Hill. The reverse for Metro 1 coming from the Roma Street Station.
Assuming there is a way to turn right on the busway to get to Wooloongabba station.
The green and red lines are mine which should be fairly obvious.

It is a wonder Miles has not pushed out his line "we can't justify spending $150 million on an existing bus connection for Brisbane Metro during a cost-of-living crisis".

The below link still on their site. Possibly will be deleted soon.

1722580615824.png

1722579162207.png

At least we have appointed someone who on face value looks like he knows how to get his part of the job done for Brisbane 2032.
He starts in November 2024

“Francois-Xavier brings an impressive and broad international commercial background to the role, together with a unique understanding of the task ahead to raise significant sponsorship revenue for Brisbane 2032,” Ms Hook said.

“I’m confident the success that Francois-Xavier and his team have delivered to the Paris 2024 Organising Committee will carry through to a new country, market and the Brisbane 2032 Games as we continue our commercial program preparations.

“I’m also pleased that we have attracted an executive with a proven track record of commercial success in business and within the Olympic and Paralympic movements. Francios-Xavier will be a great addition to my team.”

At least we have appointed someone who on face value looks like he knows how to get his part of the job done for Brisbane 2032.
He starts in November 2024

“Francois-Xavier brings an impressive and broad international commercial background to the role, together with a unique understanding of the task ahead to raise significant sponsorship revenue for Brisbane 2032,” Ms Hook said.

“I’m confident the success that Francois-Xavier and his team have delivered to the Paris 2024 Organising Committee will carry through to a new country, market and the Brisbane 2032 Games as we continue our commercial program preparations.

“I’m also pleased that we have attracted an executive with a proven track record of commercial success in business and within the Olympic and Paralympic movements. Francios-Xavier will be a great addition to my team.”

His first job will be to spend 2 Billion dollars to rid the Brisbane River of Bull Sharks in preparation for the 2032 10km open water swim.

2nd priority will be to build a monorail system from Banoon Train Station to our temporary 40,000 capacity Aldi Olympic main stadium.

His first job will be to spend 2 Billion dollars to rid the Brisbane River of Bull Sharks in preparation for the 2032 10km open water swim.

2nd priority will be to build a monorail system from Banoon Train Station to our temporary 40,000 capacity Aldi Olympic main stadium.
You forgot about the triathlon!

Not quite.
His job will be to raise big sponsorship dollars like in Paris.
In 2019 he was originally appointed as Director of Commercial Affairs.
He moved into senior Director of Partnership and Licensing in 2022.

All the money raised from sponsorship goes to the IOC.

As i mentioned ages ago, the IOC have guaranteed Brisbane $1.6 billion ($2.5 billion todays conversion).
The IOC obviously believe they will raise more than that for Brisbane 2032
The contract allows Brisbane to get extra above that guaranteed amount.

Paris and beyond sponsorship list below. Some are already on board for LA and Brisbane, Coca Cola & Mengniu.

"The joint contract of two companies is record-breaking: Veteran Olympic partner Coca Cola and the Chinese dairy company Mengniu are paying an estimated three billion dollars to the IOC for the Olympic Games from 2021 to 2032."

An interesting read

Not quite.
His job will be to raise big sponsorship dollars like in Paris.
In 2019 he was originally appointed as Director of Commercial Affairs.
He moved into senior Director of Partnership and Licensing in 2022.

All the money raised from sponsorship goes to the IOC.

As i mentioned ages ago, the IOC have guaranteed Brisbane $1.6 billion ($2.5 billion todays conversion).
The IOC obviously believe they will raise more than that for Brisbane 2032
The contract allows Brisbane to get extra above that guaranteed amount.

Paris and beyond sponsorship list below. Some are already on board for LA and Brisbane, Coca Cola & Mengniu.

"The joint contract of two companies is record-breaking: Veteran Olympic partner Coca Cola and the Chinese dairy company Mengniu are paying an estimated three billion dollars to the IOC for the Olympic Games from 2021 to 2032."

An interesting read

Well they certainly - the money = won't be impressed with Miles's plans.

Well they certainly - the money = won't be impressed with Miles's plans.
The IOC, mainly Coats is on board for now.
They will still spend the $7.5 Billion of both Government funds available.
It is just that most people outside the Labor, LNP & the IOC think better value and venues are viable using the same funds.
In a few cases less money.

Never been scuba diving but have done some snorkelling, I snorkelled the Conflict Islands, Milne Bay PNG about 10 years ago, snorkelled over the edge of a reef and could not see the bottom, first thought that crossed my mind was a shark could come up from beneath and make a meal of me. Didn't stop me doing it but it was an eerie strange feeling.
I've done hundreds of dives, mostly in NQ. By and large the sharks are fine and, if anything, adorable. Mostly black tips, white tips, grey whalers.

Came across some white tips sitting on the sea floor while they got their teeth cleaned by cleaner fish and you could see right through their open mouths, through the gills to the sand on the other side.

Another time we were on our surface interval off Pelorus Island and I saw a white tip circling around the back of the boat so I strapped my fins and snorkel on to join it. Even glimpsed a whale shark near the Yongala!

Only one real incident was a massive tiger shark off Raine Island - she was repeatedly testing us to see how close she could get before we turned around and saw her approaching from behind and below 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've done hundreds of dives, mostly in NQ. By and large the sharks are fine and, if anything, adorable. Mostly black tips, white tips, grey whalers.

Came across some white tips sitting on the sea floor while they got their teeth cleaned by cleaner fish and you could see right through their open mouths, through the gills to the sand on the other side.

Another time we were on our surface interval off Pelorus Island and I saw a white tip circling around the back of the boat so I strapped my fins and snorkel on to join it. Even glimpsed a whale shark near the Yongala!

Only one real incident was a massive tiger shark off Raine Island - she was repeatedly testing us to see how close she could get before we turned around and saw her approaching from behind and below 🤣
Each to their own, but no thanks. One can blame watching Jaws as a 5 year old back in the early 80s.

Each to their own, but no thanks. One can blame watching Jaws as a 5 year old back in the early 80s.
I'm with Jivlain. Seriously misunderstood animals. I say this semi-seriously, but Spielberg has a lot to answer for for this one.

Sure, there are sharks I probably wouldn't wan't to take a chance with: bull sharks and great whites. But even those are probably more curious than vicious.

Crocodiles scare me, I have nightmares about them... a 40 year old man was taken by one while fishing yesterday in North Queensland with his children witnessing the traumatic event.

I would never stand on a river bank in crocodile country, went on a crocodile spotting boat cruise in Kakadu once and that was bloody scary enough.

Crocodiles scare me, I have nightmares about them... a 40 year old man was taken by one while fishing yesterday in North Queensland with his children witnessing the traumatic event.

I would never stand on a river bank in crocodile country, went on a crocodile spotting boat cruise in Kakadu once and that was bloody scary enough.
And that's the other animal I have issues with, having had a personal encounter north of Townsville when I was 16.

A moat of crocodiles was in my proposal for the Gabba rebuild to make it a real Gabbatoir.

Every 3 months, a person is torn to pieces by a crocodile in North Queensland :(

Every 3 months, a person is torn to pieces by a crocodile in North Queensland :(
That dumb ****er really needs to move away from there.

The stadium in Texas was getting $20m spent on it by private investors for Major League Cricket, regardless of the World Cup. Neither it or the Florida ground were still being upgraded or built weeks and days out from the tournament, unlike New York which was behind schedule and the only venue still needing work done when the late request for an extra $20m was made to the ICC. Might require more than a quick Google search to know this stuff.

And the biggest problem is the NY venue still wasn't up to scratch, with nowhere near enough money spent on getting the player facilities and pitches at an international standard.

Guaranteed this is what will happen if the QSAC option is undertaken. It'll cost far more than expected, and it'll still be a disaster (particularly from a public transport perspective--expect gold medal races to be run and won in front of half-empty stands because of traffic chaos).
Not to mention that after all the billions wasted, the Lions are still stuck in an undersized & antiquated stadium for the foreseeable future!

Sold out again this weekend….the Lions will not get the next generation of supporters at this rate bc we can hardly go anymore - the remaining tickets were $216 when I looked last weekend.
Absolute joke, it may be worth them shifting more games down to Melbourne at this rate so more supporters can actually attend.

Not to mention that after all the billions wasted, the Lions are still stuck in an undersized & antiquated stadium for the foreseeable future!

Sold out again this weekend….the Lions will not get the next generation of supporters at this rate bc we can hardly go anymore - the remaining tickets were $216 when I looked last weekend.
Absolute joke, it may be worth them shifting more games down to Melbourne at this rate so more supporters can actually attend.
The Lions HO really need to step up lobbying efforts for a suitable long-term solution.

Unfortunately the lack of co-operation about financially contributing to a temporary home at RNA was part of the reason why the Gabba rebuild stalled.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back