News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

And barely a booo heard.
We Lions fans are a disgrace!

Did we know who he was at that point?

To be fair, I was at that game and don't think I left my seat at half time. But I had absolutely no idea what was going on. The audio was horrendous and I literally could not work out where the various dignitaries were being dunked. I don't think anyone was really paying much attention at all.

To be fair, I was at that game and don't think I left my seat at half time. But I had absolutely no idea what was going on. The audio was horrendous and I literally could not work out where the various dignitaries were being dunked. I don't think anyone was really paying much attention at all.
Couldn’t be sure because it was a while ago but I actually think he come out before the game, before the full crowd was even there? Might be wrong.
But either way, I think he was expecting to get boooed but for the cold shoulder so probably just as good really.
Just an insignificant stain.

I am not sure the Lions or Qld cricket in general has it in for Miles.
Both the Lions and Qld cricket lobbied the government hard on having no home venue to play for 4/5 years.
He listened to both parties' concerns regarding nowhere to play during the proposed Gabba rebuild.
I won't go over everything in detail as it has been well and truly covered but it included:
Carrara an option but Lions reject, RNA proposal that Lions and cricket could not afford, Quirk report, Miles ignoring the stadium suggestions of the Quirk report, Coates recommends QSAC, opening & closing ceremony at Lang Park, improvements to The Gabba, no new stadium to be built, any plans to upgrade capacity of the ageing Gabba was for future governments to decide.

At the time the Lions and cricket were relieved that they had somewhere to play home games up to the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.
That was the immediate problem for both sports and they appeared to be satisfied at that point in time.
A lot of posters on Lions BF were also fairly happy about this at the time. Mainly because the alternatives were not great.
However, the Lions, cricket and sport lovers were and still are disappointed that no new stadium was to be built.
But one big problem facing the Lions and Qld cricket had been put to rest.

Not long after the Quirk report was released the Victoria Park model came out.
The Lions and cricket were all for this happening (no costs to them) so were BF posters and a lot of the media and sports stars.
What eventually happens in this space is anyone's guess.

Don't get me wrong i thought Miles was a weak link for Labor as deputy premier and he certainly has not improved once he became leader.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong i thought Miles was a weak link for Labor as deputy premier and he certainly has not improved once he became leader.
Everyone though that tbh. If Jackie Trad wasn't forced to resign due to conglict of interest, she'd probably be Premier now. Miles is good as an attack dog Minister but Premier or Deputy? Absolutely not lol

Are we just in a holding pattern until state elections are over?
Maybe the Olympics should be shared around the country make it less expensive

Are we just in a holding pattern until state elections are over?
Maybe the Olympics should be shared around the country make it less expensive
If the opposition gets in they have said they will have a 100 day review so 3rd of February 2025 should be when we find out what is happening re a much needed new oval stadium for the Olympics and post games for AFL and Cricket.

This is still plenty of time to get a new stadium built as the original Gabba demolition and rebuild wasn't going to start until after the Gabba Ashes Test Match in late 2025.

Build vic park
Keep gabba until after olympics (can be used for soccer) and then demolish.
Leaves school and some of oval as parklands. Build some apartments and recoup some money.
Noone displaced.
At this point I can't get behind anything that leaves the school standing. It's a matter of principle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this point I can't get behind anything that leaves the school standing. It's a matter of principle.
That's what most annoys me about the Gabba plan getting scrapped. Opponents to the plan did all this stuff basing it on saving the school and then have done nothing to help the school solve the actual issues it has in that location.

That's what most annoys me about the Gabba plan getting scrapped. Opponents to the plan did all this stuff basing it on saving the school and then have done nothing to help the school solve the actual issues it has in that location.
Did Education Qld officially call off the planned move of East Brisbane State School to the Coorparoo College grounds?

IIRC preparation for that move was already underway at one stage.

What would you like them to do exactly? For what it's worth, Jonathan Sriranganathan offered a reasonable plan to keep the school in place and expand it, even when the Gabba rebuild was still planned (take over the commercial land on the other side of Wellington Rd, move the school there, build the new stadium, then after the Olympics are done, allow the school to use the heritage buildings on the stadium side and build an overpass bridge to link the two).

What would you like them to do exactly? For what it's worth, Jonathan Sriranganathan offered a reasonable plan to keep the school in place and expand it, even when the Gabba rebuild was still planned (take over the commercial land on the other side of Wellington Rd, move the school there, build the new stadium, then after the Olympics are done, allow the school to use the heritage buildings on the stadium side and build an overpass bridge to link the two).

Jonathan Sri hasn’t offered any reasonable plans in his entire life.

Too busy lying in the middle of the road blocking access to children’s hospitals

A new 55k stadium can be built in the shape of Adelaide Oval and Carrara, allowing for a temporary (or even permanent, further down the line) seating capacity increase to 75k.

This would obviously be the best outcome for Brisbane 2032, and the only reason it might not happen is because it would inadvertently help the AFL/Brisbane Lions.
The Lions themselves have been their own worst enemy imo - we can hardly get to games anymore so there's hardly any chance for me to convince my daughters to follow them.....yet they are silent about it & the desperate need for greater capacity.
Any club that cared about supporters and had a mindset for future growth would be devastated that local kids are missing games due to constant sell outs and exorbitant prices from the AFL's variable ticket pricing. But the Lions seemingly don't care...

Yes, every change costs money. Some things that cost money are worth doing.
Which is why I maintain that the Gabba is the best place for a new Stadium.
It would affect us greatly for an extensive period but I still think it is the best site.

Which is why I maintain that the Gabba is the best place for a new Stadium.
It would affect us greatly for an extensive period but I still think it is the best site.
The current site is just no good comparative to Vic park; Quirk himself pointed out that the site can never be a tier 1 stadium so why spend billions for a tier 2 stadium?
Not to mention what ever was built there - which would be limited to 50k odd anyway & require major excavation works meaning it can't be used for years during the build - would not be expandable either.
A Vic park stadium can be built with expansion options given it will not be land locked by major roads.
Other major Aus stadiums exit via parks just like the MCG....far more suitable for large crowds than 4 busy roads with people crammed onto footpaths. Whilst it would be nice to retain the historical connection to the original ground, its just not a suitable location for the tier 1 stadium we deserve here.

The current site is just no good comparative to Vic park; Quirk himself pointed out that the site can never be a tier 1 stadium so why spend billions for a tier 2 stadium?
Not to mention what ever was built there - which would be limited to 50k odd anyway & require major excavation works meaning it can't be used for years during the build - would not be expandable either.
A Vic park stadium can be built with expansion options given it will not be land locked by major roads.
Other major Aus stadiums exit via parks just like the MCG....far more suitable for large crowds than 4 busy roads with people crammed onto footpaths. Whilst it would be nice to retain the historical connection to the original ground, its just not a suitable location for the tier 1 stadium we deserve here.
Do we really need a tier 1 Stadium???
When we have 1 government suggesting a tier 50 Stadium for Athletics at the Olympics?

I would think that there is no reason why you can’t get a 50-55k stadium on the site easily enough.
For the next 30-40 years that’s more than enough here in Brisbane for AFL and Cricket.

There are ways to build over roads without suspension and create a ring of access for walking around the Stadium.
It really isn’t that hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back