News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's the full interaction, at a press conference, which they included in the article:

....we've spoken about no new stadiums.

🤣🤣 I've spoken about winning the lotto, becoming ceo of the Lions, going on a diet, running a pb half marathon. Speaking about something is not at all related to the end action.

Love it.

Last edited:
I don't have the same confidence some posters have in the LNP changing their mind and okay a new stadium after the election.
That depends a bit on whether he sticks by his recent comment that "no new stadium to be considered" will be included in the terms of reference.
I still can't confirm that comment that i heard though. Hopefully he did not say that, or a new stadium is stuffed.

On the private consortium. Was that what Swan and cricket put to them recently.
It believe it was a mix of private and government.
Either way if private is involved i don't think i will like the price of season membership.
Don't know.about confidence. Just know that if Miles re-elected it'll be QSAC which is the worst possible scenario. Anything from there is an improvement.

Don't know.about confidence. Just know that if Miles re-elected it'll be QSAC which is the worst possible scenario. Anything from there is an improvement.
No necessarily if you are a Lions executive, or Lions season member.

A rebuild means 6 years with no home ground to play on.

A refurbished Gabba will have large chunks of the Gabba not used for long periods of time.
Remember the AFL will require x number of seats? put aside for opposition supporters.
Also, when the BCG members stand comes down, those members will be offered seats for sure
Season members may struggle to get seats and of course the capacity reduced.
Will be hard to fit 3 game members & other fans inside.

Victoria Park (huge preference) & QSAC (crap venue): Everything will be fine for the Lions and Cricket up until the Olympics.

Why do people think Crisafulli will go back on everything he's said in this campaign regarding the stadium, whereas Miles won't? Do people think that the LNP can be better relied on to say one thing during the campaign and do something completely different once in office? Cool, they sound great.

I wonder what other promises and assurances have they made that we can look forward to them ignoring

Why do people think Crisafulli will go back on everything he's said in this campaign regarding the stadium, whereas Miles won't? Do people think that the LNP can be better relied on to say one thing during the campaign and do something completely different once in office? Cool, they sound great.

I wonder what other promises and assurances have they made that we can look forward to them ignoring
Let’s face it. Nobody has any idea what will happen. And we won’t know for sure until somebody puts a shovel into the ground.

I am not sure what Crisafulli will do in office as Premier and that includes the stadium issue.

I mentioned in post 5299 that i sent a detailed email to my local LNP member Tim Mander.
I was not going to bother sending one to Steven Miles as the polls had Labor way behind at that stage.
Decided what the hell, may as well send him one too.
It contained the same information i sent to Tim Mander on 2/10/24 but a different lead into the actual proposal.

I suggested a change of mind may help him retain some seats in Brisbane and who knows it may give them a slight chance of winning the election even though it is a long shot at this stage.
Received the auto standard reply. Only mentioning a response will be provided but no time frame as he gets lots of correspondence.
I also sent one to Greg Swan on Monday 7/10/24 but no reply from him to date.
Only 16 days till the State election.

The scary part of Crisafulli who is now coming under some actual media scrutiny is that he looks like a 1 trick pony. Scratch the surface or put him under the blow torch and apart from trotting out well rehearsed lines and numbers it really looks like he doesn't have a clue.

I watched him at the start of his career and he never struck me that way... now it's clear like every other politician that he is entirely poll driven on every subject.

I hoped he was just bluffing his way across the line with the stadium thing... now I have little confidence in him to actually break away from what ever the pollsters tell him even after the election.

The scary part of Crisafulli who is now coming under some actual media scrutiny is that he looks like a 1 trick pony. Scratch the surface or put him under the blow torch and apart from trotting out well rehearsed lines and numbers it really looks like he doesn't have a clue.

I watched him at the start of his career and he never struck me that way... now it's clear like every other politician that he is entirely poll driven on every subject.

I hoped he was just bluffing his way across the line with the stadium thing... now I have little confidence in him to actually break away from what ever the pollsters tell him even after the election.
I'd urge anyone considering taking a punt on him reversing his position on the stadium to have a close look at his record on other issues first. Some of that stuff isn't getting much of a spotlight at the moment

I'd urge anyone considering taking a punt on him reversing his position on the stadium to have a close look at his record on other issues first. Some of that stuff isn't getting much of a spotlight at the moment
Such as?

He's going to have a hard enough time reigning in the right wing extremists who want to turn Qld into an even closer version of Florida with their Trump loving BS as you can see in the media recently. There will be a lot of things that happen regardless of his personal wishes... that's party politics.

I'm not going to turn this thread on the main Lions board into a political discussion
I'm sorry if you took my post that way... that's not what I intended... I was merely making the point that he is going to have a hard time backing up the integrity of ANYTHING that he says given his own party is already in revolt before they win.

I would still - and I'm sure many others too without the need to get "political" - like to know why you said what you said.

This whole thread largely hangs on the trust/integrity/opinions/decisions of the politicians. In fact you could argue this whole thread revolves around politics - heavily.

I'm sorry if you took my post that way... that's not what I intended... I was merely making the point that he is going to have a hard time backing up the integrity of ANYTHING that he says given his own party is already in revolt before they win.

I would still - and I'm sure many others too without the need to get "political" - like to know why you said what you said.

This whole thread largely hangs on the trust/integrity/opinions/decisions of the politicians. In fact you could argue this whole thread revolves around politics - heavily.
I'm not going to go into this any further because that's not what topics on the main board are for. This thread is political enough as it is and I don't want to be responsible for a mess that the mods would need to clean up.

The article heading below "Let's dump the Olympics" is very misleading as that is not what it's all about. Just someone's comment.

There's a predictable pattern an Olympics host city goes through in the lead-up to holding the biggest sporting event on earth, according to economist John Quiggin.

First there's excitement. Your city has been chosen to be the focus of a global audience (never mind that you were the only bidder).

Then there's "disillusionment" — that's arguably where Brisbane is now.

When all is said and done, there's the third phase Olympic Games host cities go through: most people have a good time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The article heading below "Let's dump the Olympics" is very misleading as that is not what it's all about. Just someone's comment.

There's a predictable pattern an Olympics host city goes through in the lead-up to holding the biggest sporting event on earth, according to economist John Quiggin.

First there's excitement. Your city has been chosen to be the focus of a global audience (never mind that you were the only bidder).

Then there's "disillusionment" — that's arguably where Brisbane is now.

When all is said and done, there's the third phase Olympic Games host cities go through: most people have a good time.
Surely that coincides with the decision to just get on with it? The reconciling of we might as well make the most of it?

It's the indecision and debate that's really the cause of the angst and unease at the moment isn't it? It's just a political football and a stinking mess right now.

Once a leader actually buckles down, talks with authority and gets on with the job the public will follow. When commitments are actually made people will pretty much ignore the process until the games themselves actually roll around.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back